• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

We Have Baby Bunnies!

Louise H

Young Bun
We have woken up this morning to fur lining the hutch and a much more slender mummy rabbit! I've put pellets in her bowl and she came out to eat. She was happy to be welcomed by myself. While she was eating I slightly peeked into the bedding area of the hutch to see babies! I really need advise as what to do now. We didn't know she was pregnant so we haven't done anything different regarding her diet but as I wondered if she was, she's been having more pellets per serving. Is there anything I really need to do and anything I definitely should not do. I know they are blind for 3 days so I'm definitely going to keep that door closed. But please...everyone...help! Lots of Thanks in advance from a very grateful and happy and excited Bunny Owner!xx

We have woken up this morning to fur lining the hutch and a much more slender mummy rabbit! I've put pellets in her bowl and she came out to eat. She was happy to be welcomed by myself. While she was eating I slightly peeked into the bedding area of the hutch to see babies! I really need advise as what to do now. We didn't know she was pregnant so we haven't done anything different regarding her diet but as I wondered if she was, she's been having more pellets per serving. Is there anything I really need to do and anything I definitely should not do. I know they are blind for 3 days so I'm definitely going to keep that door closed. But please...everyone...help! Lots of Thanks in advance from a very grateful and happy and excited Bunny Owner!xx

:wave:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

There are 4. But 1 of them is stone cold and still in amniotic sac right at the back corner of the nest away from the others. When I first realised this morning they were in straw nest but all the fur was in main living area. Within an hour she had been in and covered them with fur so when I was checking them it was really difficult to spot them but I think it's just the 3 survivors. Fingers crossed she's a good mummy. How often should I check them?

There are 4. But 1 of them is stone cold and still in amniotic sac right at the back corner of the nest away from the others. When I first realised this morning they were in straw nest but all the fur was in main living area. Within an hour she had been in and covered them with fur so when I was checking them it was really difficult to spot them but I think it's just the 3 survivors. Fingers crossed she's a good mummy. How often should I check them?

I've no experience of babies so sorry I can't help but I wish you & everybun well

Is the Buck still with her ?

No. They've lived in separate hitches for the last 6 weeks but we let them go out and run together. Obviously a mistake but I didn't want to break their bond. Now we have a run and the garden is secure so now, when I can let her out, she will go in the run. He will be going to be neutered in the next 2 weeks so he'll be infertile by the time they can go back together. When can she go out for exercise? How long should she stay cage confined for??

No. They've lived in separate hitches for the last 6 weeks but we let them go out and run together. Obviously a mistake but I didn't want to break their bond. Now we have a run and the garden is secure so now, when I can let her out, she will go in the run. He will be going to be neutered in the next 2 weeks so he'll be infertile by the time they can go back together. When can she go out for exercise? How long should she stay cage confined for??

She does not have to be confined to her cage. Does she not have a run permanently attached to it ?

No. Because we have an upstairs down stairs hutch we took out the ladder and screwed a board down. We kept her upstairs with the seperste dark bedding area incase of a litter. So she needs lifting out for a run. He however had downstairs so he hops out and gas the run of the garden (when we are in). She'll need lifting into the pen now though (husband erected it this morning upon our discovery!).

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to prevent her from accessing her babies, so if you can find a way to allow her access to some space whilst also having the option to be in, that would be much preferred.

I would suggest checking them daily. She will be most active around them at dawn/dusk and be most likely to feed them then so checking them after one of those times would be good, to make sure all have been fed.

Also, congratulations- you are about to experience a most amazing thing! but also commiserations, because it is also a highly stressful and potentially grief laiden thing too.

No. Because we have an upstairs down stairs hutch we took out the ladder and screwed a board down. We kept her upstairs with the seperste dark bedding area incase of a litter. So she needs lifting out for a run. He however had downstairs so he hops out and gas the run of the garden (when we are in). She'll need lifting into the pen now though (husband erected it this morning upon our discovery!).

I've replied to your PM :wave:

Let me know if you need any more help :D

I've replied to your PM :wave:

Let me know if you need any more help :D

Thank you for your reply. I let mum out for a run today while dad was in the pen. She was skipping and running around as if she'd been locked up forever and eating grass like it was the best taste in the world! There's no filling her! I need to get her so alfalfa hay and pellets as that was recommended on a link someone sent. Thank you everyone for your help.

I've just been out and mums poo seems softer than normal. Possible diarrhoea. Is it an after affect of birth or should I be worried? She seems hungry enough and now she's had them she seems surprisingly tiny. A link suggested oat groats too to gain weight. Has anyone used these and if so are they from a pet shop or a naturals types shop? I can't gave a poorly mummy when she now has 3 dependents. I'm going to definitely be ringing the vet tomorrow but for now what do you wise guys think??

I've just been out and mums poo seems softer than normal. Possible diarrhoea. Is it an after affect of birth or should I be worried? She seems hungry enough and now she's had them she seems surprisingly tiny. A link suggested oat groats too to gain weight. Has anyone used these and if so are they from a pet shop or a naturals types shop? I can't gave a poorly mummy when she now has 3 dependents. I'm going to definitely be ringing the vet tomorrow but for now what do you wise guys think??

For extra energy and protein, you can give a pinch or two of porridge oats. I don't soak them, the buns usually love them :)

True diarrhoea is rare in rabbits - probably just softer poo? This could be related to a change in diet?

Thank you for your reply. I let mum out for a run today while dad was in the pen. She was skipping and running around as if she'd been locked up forever and eating grass like it was the best taste in the world! There's no filling her! I need to get her so alfalfa hay and pellets as that was recommended on a link someone sent. Thank you everyone for your help.

Glad you found it helpful :)

I believe the alfalfa hay and pellets was suggested on the link I PM'd you. I suggest upping her normal pellets as she will be used to these :thumb:

She's had some more veg perhaps than usual like cucumber and carrot and we are giving her more pellets. We've not made it unlimited as surely she'll eat the pellets and not the hay. She doesn't seem to have eaten any hay at all in fact although she's not been eating much hay recently. I'll go and give her more pellets now. So I need to make the pellets unlimited too? She has burgers excel nuggets with mint at the moment. If I make this unlimited do I need to change the pellets to alfalfa of just her hay to alfalfa? I read some where they prefer alfalfa hay so would this be more appealing to her?? I've checked online about her poo and I don't think it's diarrhoea it's just extra Ceco. Possibly due to the extra veg??

She's had some more veg perhaps than usual like cucumber and carrot and we are giving her more pellets. We've not made it unlimited as surely she'll eat the pellets and not the hay. She doesn't seem to have eaten any hay at all in fact although she's not been eating much hay recently. I'll go and give her more pellets now. So I need to make the pellets unlimited too? She has burgers excel nuggets with mint at the moment. If I make this unlimited do I need to change the pellets to alfalfa of just her hay to alfalfa? I read some where they prefer alfalfa hay so would this be more appealing to her?? I've checked online about her poo and I don't think it's diarrhoea it's just extra Ceco. Possibly due to the extra veg??

Yes, it could well be due to the extra veg.

Alfalfa hay is *very* appealing to rabbits. I would mix it in with her normal hay, to get her still eating the stuff. Alfalfa hay is high in calcium, but if bladder sludge isn't an issue for her, then some mixed in would help to give her more energy and fatten her up a little :)

Thank you so much. You are life savers. Oh and the echinacea I'm using is what I bought from Holland and Barratt it's A.Vogal Echinaforce Echinachea Drops. So how much should I use per 100ml??

Back