Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Have Baby Bunnies!

Default We Have Baby Bunnies!

We have woken up this morning to fur lining the hutch and a much more slender mummy rabbit! I've put pellets in her bowl and she came out to eat. She was happy to be welcomed by myself. While she was eating I slightly peeked into the bedding area of the hutch to see babies! I really need advise as what to do now. We didn't know she was pregnant so we haven't done anything different regarding her diet but as I wondered if she was, she's been having more pellets per serving. Is there anything I really need to do and anything I definitely should not do. I know they are blind for 3 days so I'm definitely going to keep that door closed. But please...everyone...help! Lots of Thanks in advance from a very grateful and happy and excited Bunny Owner!xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    We have woken up this morning to fur lining the hutch and a much more slender mummy rabbit! I've put pellets in her bowl and she came out to eat. She was happy to be welcomed by myself. While she was eating I slightly peeked into the bedding area of the hutch to see babies! I really need advise as what to do now. We didn't know she was pregnant so we haven't done anything different regarding her diet but as I wondered if she was, she's been having more pellets per serving. Is there anything I really need to do and anything I definitely should not do. I know they are blind for 3 days so I'm definitely going to keep that door closed. But please...everyone...help! Lots of Thanks in advance from a very grateful and happy and excited Bunny Owner!xx

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

There are 4. But 1 of them is stone cold and still in amniotic sac right at the back corner of the nest away from the others. When I first realised this morning they were in straw nest but all the fur was in main living area. Within an hour she had been in and covered them with fur so when I was checking them it was really difficult to spot them but I think it's just the 3 survivors. Fingers crossed she's a good mummy. How often should I check them?

There are 4. But 1 of them is stone cold and still in amniotic sac right at the back corner of the nest away from the others. When I first realised this morning they were in straw nest but all the fur was in main living area. Within an hour she had been in and covered them with fur so when I was checking them it was really difficult to spot them but I think it's just the 3 survivors. Fingers crossed she's a good mummy. How often should I check them?
    I've no experience of babies so sorry I can't help but I wish you & everybun well

Wise Old Thumper

Is the Buck still with her ?

No. They've lived in separate hitches for the last 6 weeks but we let them go out and run together. Obviously a mistake but I didn't want to break their bond. Now we have a run and the garden is secure so now, when I can let her out, she will go in the run. He will be going to be neutered in the next 2 weeks so he'll be infertile by the time they can go back together. When can she go out for exercise? How long should she stay cage confined for??

Wise Old Thumper

No. They've lived in separate hitches for the last 6 weeks but we let them go out and run together. Obviously a mistake but I didn't want to break their bond. Now we have a run and the garden is secure so now, when I can let her out, she will go in the run. He will be going to be neutered in the next 2 weeks so he'll be infertile by the time they can go back together. When can she go out for exercise? How long should she stay cage confined for??
    She does not have to be confined to her cage. Does she not have a run permanently attached to it ?

No. Because we have an upstairs down stairs hutch we took out the ladder and screwed a board down. We kept her upstairs with the seperste dark bedding area incase of a litter. So she needs lifting out for a run. He however had downstairs so he hops out and gas the run of the garden (when we are in). She'll need lifting into the pen now though (husband erected it this morning upon our discovery!).
    Last edited by Louise H; 20-05-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

I personally wouldn't want to prevent her from accessing her babies, so if you can find a way to allow her access to some space whilst also having the option to be in, that would be much preferred.

I would suggest checking them daily. She will be most active around them at dawn/dusk and be most likely to feed them then so checking them after one of those times would be good, to make sure all have been fed.

Also, congratulations- you are about to experience a most amazing thing! but also commiserations, because it is also a highly stressful and potentially grief laiden thing too.
    Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!