• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help - need assistance bonding with my mini lops

Pazza1971

New Kit
Hi everyone

I got a boy and girl mini lop ten days ago. They are both 16 weeks old and the boy has been neutered.

They will eat from my hand (initially reluctant to approach me) but afterwards will run into the corner. The person I bought them from has told me to pick them up and lap bed train them for about 5-10 minutes a day. However, they both hide when I approach them. The girl has got used to being picked up now but hides in the corner when I try to pick her up. The boy struggles when I pick him up. They are fine once they've been picked up as I hold them close to my chest and stroke them and are fine in the lap bed.

What should I do about them ignoring and hiding from me when they are in their cage? The person I got them from has 30 years experience and has said this is unusual as they are normally very inquisitive - I must be doing something wrong but these are the first pets I have ever had. I know I've only had them for 10 days but I don't want them to be scared of me.

Any tips and advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks x

Hello and welcome :)

Firstly, you haven't had them long so will still be finding their paws! :)

Secondly, it is perfectly normal behaviour for the majority of rabbits! lots of rabbits hate being picked up, they are, afterall, prey animals!

I personally would just sit on the floor near them and wait for them to approach you. Fuss and stroke them at ground level until they are used to this. You can then attempt picking them up for some laptime snuggles!

You definately aren't doing anything wrong :)

I find all rabbits are much happier and less wary of us if we simply don't try to pick them up. I only pick my lot up for routine health checks or meds, rest of the time I fuss them on the floor/ sit on the floor and let them climb on me.

I find all rabbits are much happier and less wary of us if we simply don't try to pick them up. I only pick my lot up for routine health checks or meds, rest of the time I fuss them on the floor/ sit on the floor and let them climb on me.

Thanks for the advice Catherine - I will try this once they are happy to approach me while I sit next to their cage.

Hi everyone

I got a boy and girl mini lop ten days ago. They are both 16 weeks old and the boy has been neutered.

They will eat from my hand (initially reluctant to approach me) but afterwards will run into the corner. The person I bought them from has told me to pick them up and lap bed train them for about 5-10 minutes a day. However, they both hide when I approach them. The girl has got used to being picked up now but hides in the corner when I try to pick her up. The boy struggles when I pick him up. They are fine once they've been picked up as I hold them close to my chest and stroke them and are fine in the lap bed.

What should I do about them ignoring and hiding from me when they are in their cage? The person I got them from has 30 years experience and has said this is unusual as they are normally very inquisitive - I must be doing something wrong but these are the first pets I have ever had. I know I've only had them for 10 days but I don't want them to be scared of me.

Any tips and advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks x

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Aw, I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. They will take some time to get used to you and their new surroundings. That being said, most of my rabbits will run away if they think I'm going to try and pick them up, it's pretty normal, I think x

Thanks Lily - I did reply to you but I think it is stuck in the system.

I was told to keep their cage a bit off ground level to help make it easier to pick them up, as well as reducing the size of their cage for a little while. I am hand feeding them treats - the male is braver than the female who seems petrified - but as soon as that is over, they run into the corner of their cage. I think they associate me with being picked up so are scared of me. The person I bought them from says that they are just trying it on and I need to be a bit more assertive and not show that I am anxious. There is so much advice which is conflicting it seems whatever I do is not right :(

Thanks ThreeB's - I think I am going to not pick them up for a few days and see if I can get them to come to me without being scared or wary.

I *personally* know they aren't trying it on, they are just being bunnies in a strange environment :)

I always allow bunnies to approach ME in their own time.

Just my opinion though :)

I agree with Lily :) I think the person you got them from has done a good job in making you feel bad, unnecessarily. I'm sure you are doing just fine, don't put too much pressure on yourself x

Back