• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NZ white looking a bit scruffy? U/D I'm gonna have to let her go

I'm so sorry :(

Its sometimes a hard and long struggle. You'll know its time if nature doesn't let her pass when she needs too. I personally just get a very deep gut instinct when its time to help them pass on. And as always, they would be incredibly grateful for caring for them and helping them cross to the rainbow bridge.

However I hope it doesn't come to that and that you can find what is going on. Sometimes medication takes a while to kick in and get working.

I'm amazed by the support and kindness here at RU, especially as I haven't been an active member for a couple of years. Thank you so much.

Bess is still eating and she's moving about a little bit, not much though. She comes out as soon as she hears me (I could have treats you know, they are both really into their food!), but I've also noticed she's only staying at ground level. They usually like to sleep on a higher level in their kennel during the day, and they have to hop onto a couple of levels to get there. Today only George is sleeping there, so I assume Bess is in too much discomfort/pain to get there. :( For the life of me I can't remember if she was sleeping there last week, or in recent times. I keep asking myself if there have been signs I've missed, surely this leg thing didn't just develop overnight. Futile I know, but can't help myself. I really hope I know if/when it's time to let her go, dreading it.

I'm amazed by the support and kindness here at RU, especially as I haven't been an active member for a couple of years. Thank you so much.

Bess is still eating and she's moving about a little bit, not much though. She comes out as soon as she hears me (I could have treats you know, they are both really into their food!), but I've also noticed she's only staying at ground level. They usually like to sleep on a higher level in their kennel during the day, and they have to hop onto a couple of levels to get there. Today only George is sleeping there, so I assume Bess is in too much discomfort/pain to get there. :( For the life of me I can't remember if she was sleeping there last week, or in recent times. I keep asking myself if there have been signs I've missed, surely this leg thing didn't just develop overnight. Futile I know, but can't help myself. I really hope I know if/when it's time to let her go, dreading it.

If it is a pathalogical fracture it could certainly have just happened overnight. I really am very sorry that she is so poorly :cry:

I know what it's like to feel distressed with a poorly bunny. They hide their stuff so well, it's usually impossible to know straight away if something's wrong.

I hope you both have some good, quality times together x

I saw the vet today and she's not improving. The vet thinks it's probably cancer and recommends PTS. Any further tests and treatment would require hospitalisation which would be very stressful for her, and she's so poorly it most likely would not work anyway. Her breathing is noisy and in spite of eating lots she's lost immense amounts of weight.

The vet offered to PTS then and there but I couldn't do it. I booked Tuesday evening. I have some Metacam left which I will continue to give her to help with any pain. I feel so guilty for not noticing her illness sooner, and now for not letting her go yet. I know I'm being selfish but I just couldn't do it today.

I'm also really worried now about George, my other bunny. I don't know what to do with him. :(

Last edited:
I saw the vet today and she's not improving. The vet thinks it's probably cancer and recommends PTS. Any further tests and treatment would require hospitalisation which would be very stressful for her, and she's so poorly it most likely would not work anyway. Her breathing is noisy and in spite of eating lots she's lost immense amounts of weight.

The vet offered to PTS then and there but I couldn't do it. I booked Tuesday evening. I have some Metacam left which I will continue to give her to help with any pain. I feel so guilty for not noticing her illness sooner, and now for not letting her go yet. I know I'm being selfish but I just couldn't do it today.

I'm also really worried now about George, my other bunny. I don't know what to do with him. :(

I am very sorry :cry:

I'm so very sorry :(

I'm really sorry to hear that Bess's prognosis has led to this. I hope you can enjoy your last few days together. xxx

and no, its not selfish. my vet recommended that I spent a last day or few with my boy Snoopy. so we did. spoiled him rotten with smoothie, banana, pellet. even turns out he likes spaghetti!

I hope your last few days are full of love and good memories.

Thank you everyone. This is so hard, I keep telling myself it's the kindest thing to do but all sorts of thoughts and doubts keep playing in my head.

and no, its not selfish. my vet recommended that I spent a last day or few with my boy Snoopy. so we did. spoiled him rotten with smoothie, banana, pellet. even turns out he likes spaghetti!

I hope your last few days are full of love and good memories.

I plan to spoil her rotten over the next few days as well. She's already had strawberries, banana and grapes today and I even gave her some home made baby puree (apple and pear) that I had frozen in ice cube trays. Thinking of making some ice lollies maybe with diluted orange juice now that it's gonna be hot. What else could I give her that is like a bunny equivalent of super tasty junk food?

My bridge bun used to mug me for a chocolate button. Certainly not on the recommended list, but she thought it was amazing. Enjoy time together, take lots of photos and consider if you want to keep a snip of her fur. Hugs x

I'm so sorry about your beautiful girl. My heart really breaks for you having to say goodbye. I have been there too and know how difficult it is and all the mixed feelings. Sending hugs to you both. She knows you have done everything you could for her and how much you clearly love her x

Back