Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! My bonded buns are fighting!

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Thanks MM. It's very reassuring to know that's the standard way to reconcile bunnies and that I'm not giving terrible advice!

To be honest it was the moments of despair that I wouldn't be able to fix the bond that got me the most. I'm convinced neither of my two could live happily as a single bun so the absolute last resort would have been to return Fudgie to the rescue and try and bond Snoopy with another girl. I really couldn't bear to do that so I was determined to persevere through it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm really sorry to read that your. bunnies have fallen out The same thing happened with my buns about a year ago. I was woken up very early in the morning by them fighting and they were making a ferocious racket!

I took them to the vet for a health checkup to make sure there wasn't any underlying health issue but they were both given a clean bill of health.

I had to divide the flat in half and keep them separated for a couple of days while I was at work. I didn't feel I could leave them together unsupervised as they kept having spats.

I then rebonded them from scratch, using a small neutral area. I'm not going to lie, the first night was absolutely horrendous. They kept going for each other and I was constantly intervening to break up fights. My nerves were absolutely shot to pieces In hindsight I think my mistake was to put their litter tray in with them. They were both territorial over it and that seemed to trigger the fighting. After a VERY long night they eventually settled and over the next few days their bond slowly repaired itself. I extended their space very slowly over a few days so as not to jeopardise the rebond. They have been fine ever since.

I don't know if that method would work for all bunnies but it worked for mine. If you do try and rebond them from scratch be prepared as it might stretch your nerves to the limit!

Good luck and I hope you can get them back together again.

ok so I've left them until today. Seems as though tables have turnt. Millie is now instigating the fights. I'm so confused as to what to do next. I put Toby in a cage to keep him safe as I tried dividing the room with grids and they tore it down . I feel horrendous putting a bun in a cage that has never had one before. Do you think I should swap them round so that Toby gets to enjoy the room too? I'm worried Toby might claim the cage as his territory. Both buns still eating and pooping ok. My heart is breaking! !

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Thanks MM. It's very reassuring to know that's the standard way to reconcile bunnies and that I'm not giving terrible advice!

To be honest it was the moments of despair that I wouldn't be able to fix the bond that got me the most. I'm convinced neither of my two could live happily as a single bun so the absolute last resort would have been to return Fudgie to the rescue and try and bond Snoopy with another girl. I really couldn't bear to do that so I was determined to persevere through it!

I don't think you could ever give terrible advice if you tried

You've hit the nail ono the head though, with your extreme patience and perseverance:

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important...g-is-patience/

By the way - more articles for Loobers in case they are useful

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbit...oup-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk...nding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pro...iona-campbell/

Mischief and Tinkerís Mum
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...y-trios-videos!

(some contradictory advice, but that's the way of all things, isn't it!)

Current set up

Bam & Charlie

Last edited by loobers25; 20-05-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Bam & Charlie

Thank you MM reading now

Bam & Charlie

This was yesterday. But when the gate opens they fight

Bam & Charlie

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Even though they kick off when the gate's opened I would take a lot of encouragement from that last pic as they seem relaxed when next to each other.

I don't know if you've done this already but before proceeding any further I would get the vet to give them a thorough health check. Tummy, ears, teeth, body temperature. Just so you can rule out illness as the underlying cause.

If everything is fine then I think your next step will be to rebond from scratch. Inevitably, as per my post above, you will probably have to expect a lot of hostility in the beginning. I went for the all in method, i.e. keep them together in the bonding area all the time until they had sorted themselves out. It's very tough going doing it that way, especially the first 24 hours, but it fixed the bond a lot quicker. You may find it easier, and more experienced people might advise this as well, to go for the slow bond method.

I know only too well how upsetting it is when they fight. My two acted like they wanted to kill each other. But please take heart that it is possible to repair a broken bond xxx

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Love is In the air...

Bam & Charlie

Grooming

Bam & Charlie