• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best mesh for under outdoor run?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Dottie and Ziggy have recently moved outside to the new playhouse and currently have access to their run when I'm at home. The reason being that Dottie has a reputation for being naughty and if anyone is going to try and escape its her. So far though, neither have them have done any digging, but it's only a matter of time.

I did consider paving slabs (like our big run) but it is a lot more effort to set up and I would like them to have access to the grass.

So, I think we will put mesh underneath and allow the grass to go through. Does a particular type of mesh work best for this? Something flexible enough for the grass to grow but for it to not hurt their feet or be easily chewed. We have some left over 16 gauge with small gaps, but I think it's probably too inflexible for this job.

Thanks x

Under my runs which aren't on concrete, I have puppy pen panels (and panels from old plastic greenhouses). I then covered it with soil, but grass grew sparsely. Originally, our garden was laid to stone though.

Normally people mesh underneath the turf, as it means the rabbits feet aren't in contact with the mesh, it would be hard to get mesh to form the same contours of the grass and could mean that they get sore hocks or catch their feet or nails in the mesh. When I had my outside rabbits I used mesh on top of a base of hardcore and soil, and then used children's playbark on top to make a soft surface.

Thank you both.

It's difficult isn't it. I had thought that about the mesh and would prefer them to not be on it if there's another way. However as we live in a forces houses I'm not sure I can go taking up the grass to put it underneath.

We have already slabbed under the big run and the new playhouse so I'm reluctant to do more, especially as we have to return it to normal when we leave.

I'm racking my brain for an alternative! x

Back