• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

French lop dragging hind legs

Thats a clever idea, trying to get him to open his mouth was one thing but in the panic my husband declared that he hadn't a clue whether he'd given him the 2 notches from the syringe it comes in! I'll try the toast method tonight.

On a brighter note he looks marginally better this morning. Think this is more due to hand feeding him food and water and repeatedly standing him up on his legs rather than the medication. There seems to be a glimmer of hope now though.

Hi Guys. Another question here; should I give my other bunny who lives with Digby a dose of pancur as well? The vet didn't ask and I didn't think to mention it to her but in theory if she carries the EC too would she be able to pass it back to him/become sick herself?

Thanks

Hi Guys. Another question here; should I give my other bunny who lives with Digby a dose of pancur as well? The vet didn't ask and I didn't think to mention it to her but in theory if she carries the EC too would she be able to pass it back to him/become sick herself?

Thanks

Personally I would do so, a full 28 day course. But do check with your own Vet first :)

Thanks

Hi there

Yes, definitely give the other bunny a course of Panacur as well. Otherwise the spores from the other bunny (which are no doubt infected with EC also) will simply pass back to Digby and you'll be back to square one!

Thats a clever idea, trying to get him to open his mouth was one thing but in the panic my husband declared that he hadn't a clue whether he'd given him the 2 notches from the syringe it comes in! I'll try the toast method tonight.

On a brighter note he looks marginally better this morning. Think this is more due to hand feeding him food and water and repeatedly standing him up on his legs rather than the medication. There seems to be a glimmer of hope now though.

I am with your husband on the notches. I struggled knowing exactly where a single notch was. I think I have got it now ...One notch is, a grove and a single black marker should be visible. Leastways that's what I am doing at the moment :roll:

Good luck. I know how difficult all this is.

Great thanks. Looks like pets at home do it so will take a trip up there tomorrow. X

If you are dosing 2 Rabbits it'd be more economical to buy the Panacur 10% Liquid. That contains the same active ingredient (Fenbendazole) and it is possible to achieve a more weight specific accurate dose using the liquid than the paste.

The dose rate for Fenbendazole when treating for EC is 20mg/kg/day

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Fenbendazole.htm

The Panacur 10% Liquid has 100mg Fenbendazole/ml

Which is 10mg/0.1ml

So a dose of 0.2ml/kg/day is needed

The cheapest place to buy it at the moment is here

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html#

There can be some issues buying the liquid if the fact it is to be given to a Rabbit is disclosed at point of sale. This applies both in person purchases and purchases made online. Only Fenbendazole in the form of a paste for Rabbits ('Panacur Rabbit') is LICENSED for use in Rabbits and the RQP (Registered Qualified Person) who has to oversee all sales of restricted treatments such as Panacur will refuse the sale of Panacur Liquid if the Customer states it is for a Rabbit.

Thanks Jack's Jane. I checked with the vet and she confirmed that the other bunny would need pancur also but that it is prescription only,confused now but obviously don't want to pay the £19.20 for 1 tube with a 30 mile round trip to boot if I can get the liquid of the internet! Luckily they didn't have any in stock at the vets when I called today.

Thanks Jack's Jane. I checked with the vet and she confirmed that the other bunny would need pancur also but that it is prescription only,confused now but obviously don't want to pay the £19.20 for 1 tube with a 30 mile round trip to boot if I can get the liquid of the internet! Luckily they didn't have any in stock at the vets when I called today.

Joey&Boo went through these hoops recently, and it might be worth sending her a PM to see what she did. The ingredient in the paste is the same as in the liquid.

Can your vet not dispense you a large quantity of Panacur liquid sufficient for both bunnies? It shouldn't be too expensive. She would decant it from the larger bottle she would normally use for cats and dogs.

Joey&Boo went through these hoops recently, and it might be worth sending her a PM to see what she did. The ingredient in the paste is the same as in the liquid.

Can your vet not dispense you a large quantity of Panacur liquid sufficient for both bunnies? It shouldn't be too expensive. She would decant it from the larger bottle she would normally use for cats and dogs.

No, as they have already dispensed a prescription for Digby they will charge for a second prescription for other bunny. He could've had the liquid or the paste but it was hard to get it into him so went for the paste. Typically he last couple of times he's let us put it in his mouth so the liquid would be fine.

Back