Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GI stasis or something else? URGENT!

New Kit

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm sorry your little one is so ill. I'm not good on health & only one experience of spaying so hoping someone knowledgeable will be along shortly. Do you know what painkiller she was given - metacam is usually well tolerated but some buns get very drowsy on others (they do need stronger than metacam sometimes)

Vibes for your bunny.
    Thank you! I can't remember what it was unfortunately, all i know is it was injected and the vet did mention she would be a bit flat.. but she seemed to still be flat even after the first painkiller was supposed to have worn off

Warren Veteran

It's not uncommon for does to be suffering a bit after spaying, for 24 hours after surgery. It is quite a major operation.

For tonight I would make sure she is warm. Hopefully by the morning she will be feeling much better and will tolerate being given the Critical Care. Your vets will be able to give her gut medication tomorrow if they feel she needs it, to get her digestive system working again.

Sending her lots of vibes.

Meloxicam? If so that's metacam

Quote Originally Posted by laaurie View Post
    So my 5 year old mini rex was just spayed yesterday. Got home, seemed fine - drank a lot and ate a bit, then started to look more in pain, wouldn't eat and was lying down a lot.

Took her back to the vet this morning. Vet
    thought she was going into stasis and gave injected painkiller, antibiotic and fluids. If she hadn't eaten by this evening i was to force feed.

Got home, the painkiller made her drowsy but she ate some baby food and hay. Her temp was slightly low so she was on a heat pad all day but she just continued downhill - wouldn't drink, shaking and panting and became even more limp. I thought she was going to die so took her back to the vet this evening. Vet said there was movement in her bowels but gave more painkillers and some critical care to force feed her.

Now home, she's lying limp, is obviously in discomfort, can barely move and just looks generally awful. I tried feeding her the critical care but she won't swallow it and just let's it sit in her mouth. Her stomach is distended but fairly soft with some larger lumps in there. She basically hasn't pooped since surgery so i'm getting really worried.

This is nothing like stasis she's had in the past.. maybe it's because she's just had surgery and is drugged up? Unless it's something more serious like bloat? Although the bloating doesn't even feel as bad as it has in the past - it's just how she's acting that's got me so worried! I'm genuinely scared she's about to die any minute, so i'd really appreciate any advice or experiences from other people. Thanks!

Hi Laaurie and welcome to RU

After spaying it can take a while for a rabbit to get eating again. I had one of my little ones spayed not long ago and she didn't eat properly for about three days - scared me to death!

If the vet has assessed her, and she's topped up with fluids, and you are keeping her warm and syringe feeding, I am hopeful she will feel much better by the morning.

I have to say I am a great fan of Infacol, along with some others here:

http://www.infacol.co.uk

If you can get ahold of some, give one mil every hour for three doses. It helps to move collected gas along the digestive tract and thus makes the rabbit not feel full, and want to eat again.

Some reading, in case you've not seen it:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.php

http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-s...lent-killer-2/

Not to scare you but so you are informed

She could well be feeling a bit down and flat because the vet gave an opiae painkiller such as buprenorphine or similar (e.g. Vetergesic). They can make a rabbit feel sleepy for absolutely ages. But it does wear off and they feel better quickly

Take care - and loads of luck!!

New Kit

Just wanted to let everyone know, she died just after midnight. Don't know why, she just started fitting and died just before we were about to rush her back to the vet. I am in pieces.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by laaurie View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know, she died just after midnight. Don't know why, she just started fitting and died just before we were about to rush her back to the vet. I am in pieces.
    I am so very sorry I am never online in the evenings so I only have only just read the PM alerting me to this thread. I realise there is nothing I can say now that will be of any help at all, put please know that many of us on here will completely understand how devastated you are feeling

RIP little Bunny

I'm so sorry for your loss xxx

Binky free little one

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Warren Veteran

I am very sorry

Oh I'm so sorry, that's just awful xxx

Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry you lost her Binky free little bunny. thinking of you xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES