• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis or something else? URGENT!

I've only just seen this thread - I'm so sorry. You must be devastated. I hope there is some comfort in knowing that you did everything you could, and that she would have known how much she was loved as you looked after her.

Just wanted to let everyone know, she died just after midnight. Don't know why, she just started fitting and died just before we were about to rush her back to the vet. I am in pieces.

I am so sorry to hear this. You did everything you could, and I am sorry she didn't make it :(

This is so heartbreaking. You did absolutely everything right. I'm so sorry. Sweet dreams little rex bun xx

Thanks for all the kind messages everyone. I'm so heartbroken, she was my only rabbit and I loved her so much. Ironically, the only reason I was getting her spayed was because I didn't want her to develop cancer later in life and die in pain.. She died in pain anyway and her life was cut short because of my decision.

Thanks for all the kind messages everyone. I'm so heartbroken, she was my only rabbit and I loved her so much. Ironically, the only reason I was getting her spayed was because I didn't want her to develop cancer later in life and die in pain.. She died in pain anyway and her life was cut short because of my decision.

I can understand why you feel like that, but your decision was what the majority of us would do. To lose a Doe to a routine spay is very, very rare. You could not possibly have known that your Doe would be one of the very few who do not recover. Your decision was based on the fact that you wanted to prevent a serious illness, it was a cruel twist of fate that led to the tragic outcome. Not something that you did wrong x

But your decision was the right one. In my many years of rabbit keeping, losing a doe in a spay is very rare. I would do what you did every time and you did the best thing.

I am so sorry she didn't make it. In these cases there is usually some underlying condition that's not known about at the time.

Please try not to blame yourself xx

:cry: so sorry she didn't make it, it was not your fault at all, you did your best and wanted best for her, sadly sometimes these things sadly happen, hope you are ok, big hugs xxx

I'm so sorry - this is so upsetting. Try to be kind to yourself and remember that you were doing your absolute best for her. As Jane said, it was a cruel twist of fate.

You have to take decisions sometimes to do what you think is right, it's so rare this would happen, I'm sorry to read this thread. We all can understand how you are feeling xx

I'm so sorry to hear this. You did everything right. A young bunny dying after a routine spay is all of our worst nightmare. It happens rarely but when it does, it is absolutely heart-breaking.

I'm very sorry. you did all you could i am sure *hugs*

as others said its incredibly rare to lose a doe to a spay, its likely and underlying condition. maybe it was her age as she was about 5, nobody knows. but you did do the correct thing to get her spayed. however sometimes it doesn't always work out.

but i am very sorry, my best wishes to you and that you'll begin to heal soon.

I am so sorry for your loss. You had her spayed for all the right reasons - noone could have foreseen the outcome. Please do not be hard on yourself..

Back