• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do give medication into your buns? Can I give it on food?

jay

Mama Doe
I've had a very poorly Ruby for the last month who has had to be separated from her partner, Benny. She has been on panacur and has made a fantastic recovery. Before I put her back with Benny I have to start him on a preventative course.

This will not be easy.

Ruby is easy going and I just wrap her in a cosy fleece and syringe the panacur into her mouth, she licks her lips, jumps down and we have a cuddle.

Benny is not like this. Benny doesn't like humans at the best of times. He sometimes *allows* me stroke his head but that is all the attention he requires. The rest of the time I swear he sits plotting his escape. Being pinned down and force fed medication is never going to happen. It will really stress him out.

SO...Can I pop it on some banana and feed it to him (and by feed I mean leave it for him to come and get). What are your experiences of giving meds to stubborn, strong and generally moody bunnies?

BTW: he is a huge soft fluffball. Occasionaly, much to his disgust, I do pick him up and cuddle him. I can't help it. He is sooooo lovely to cuddle. But its ok - he gets me back by finding chinks in the rabbit proofing round the garden and escapes leaving me to run round the neighbours gardens in a panic with a box, blanket and a banana looking like a crazy loon.

I've had a very poorly Ruby for the last month who has had to be separated from her partner, Benny. She has been on panacur and has made a fantastic recovery. Before I put her back with Benny I have to start him on a preventative course.

This will not be easy.

Ruby is easy going and I just wrap her in a cosy fleece and syringe the panacur into her mouth, she licks her lips, jumps down and we have a cuddle.

Benny is not like this. Benny doesn't like humans at the best of times. He sometimes *allows* me stroke his head but that is all the attention he requires. The rest of the time I swear he sits plotting his escape. Being pinned down and force fed medication is never going to happen. It will really stress him out.

SO...Can I pop it on some banana and feed it to him (and by feed I mean leave it for him to come and get). What are your experiences of giving meds to stubborn, strong and generally moody bunnies?

BTW: he is a huge soft fluffball. Occasionaly, much to his disgust, I do pick him up and cuddle him. I can't help it. He is sooooo lovely to cuddle. But its ok - he gets me back by finding chinks in the rabbit proofing round the garden and escapes leaving me to run round the neighbours gardens in a panic with a box, blanket and a banana looking like a crazy loon.

You can put the Panacur onto a treat but he may not eat it. Personally I always prefer to administer medication directly into the Rabbit's mouth to insure they actually get the dose. But you could try putting Benny's dose on a bit of food that he likes and see what happens :)

This will not be easy.

How long is Benny's course?

I've had bunnies who got really stressed at being handled so I've had a lot of success sneaking medicine into food like a very small piece of banana.

I've never used panacur so I don't know how palatable it is but I've found with nice tasting meds I can just put the measured dose on a very small saucer and they'll lap it up straight.

Another thing you could perhaps try is to put a bit of mashed banana on the tip of the syringe and just offer it to him without picking him up. Hopefully if he starts eating the banana off the tip you'll be able to squirt the meds into his mouth.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back