Thread: How do give medication into your buns? Can I give it on food?

Default How do give medication into your buns? Can I give it on food?

I've had a very poorly Ruby for the last month who has had to be separated from her partner, Benny. She has been on panacur and has made a fantastic recovery. Before I put her back with Benny I have to start him on a preventative course.

This will not be easy.

Ruby is easy going and I just wrap her in a cosy fleece and syringe the panacur into her mouth, she licks her lips, jumps down and we have a cuddle.

Benny is not like this. Benny doesn't like humans at the best of times. He sometimes *allows* me stroke his head but that is all the attention he requires. The rest of the time I swear he sits plotting his escape. Being pinned down and force fed medication is never going to happen. It will really stress him out.

SO...Can I pop it on some banana and feed it to him (and by feed I mean leave it for him to come and get). What are your experiences of giving meds to stubborn, strong and generally moody bunnies?

BTW: he is a huge soft fluffball. Occasionaly, much to his disgust, I do pick him up and cuddle him. I can't help it. He is sooooo lovely to cuddle. But its ok - he gets me back by finding chinks in the rabbit proofing round the garden and escapes leaving me to run round the neighbours gardens in a panic with a box, blanket and a banana looking like a crazy loon.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I've had a very poorly Ruby for the last month who has had to be separated from her partner, Benny. She has been on panacur and has made a fantastic recovery. Before I put her back with Benny I have to start him on a preventative course.

This will not be easy.

Ruby is easy going and I just wrap her in a cosy fleece and syringe the panacur into her mouth, she licks her lips, jumps down and we have a cuddle.

Benny is not like this. Benny doesn't like humans at the best of times. He sometimes *allows* me stroke his head but that is all the attention he requires. The rest of the time I swear he sits plotting his escape. Being pinned down and force fed medication is never going to happen. It will really stress him out.

SO...Can I pop it on some banana and feed it to him (and by feed I mean leave it for him to come and get). What are your experiences of giving meds to stubborn, strong and generally moody bunnies?

BTW: he is a huge soft fluffball. Occasionaly, much to his disgust, I do pick him up and cuddle him. I can't help it. He is sooooo lovely to cuddle. But its ok - he gets me back by finding chinks in the rabbit proofing round the garden and escapes leaving me to run round the neighbours gardens in a panic with a box, blanket and a banana looking like a crazy loon.
    You can put the Panacur onto a treat but he may not eat it. Personally I always prefer to administer medication directly into the Rabbit's mouth to insure they actually get the dose. But you could try putting Benny's dose on a bit of food that he likes and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

This will not be easy.

How long is Benny's course?

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I've had bunnies who got really stressed at being handled so I've had a lot of success sneaking medicine into food like a very small piece of banana.

I've never used panacur so I don't know how palatable it is but I've found with nice tasting meds I can just put the measured dose on a very small saucer and they'll lap it up straight.

Another thing you could perhaps try is to put a bit of mashed banana on the tip of the syringe and just offer it to him without picking him up. Hopefully if he starts eating the banana off the tip you'll be able to squirt the meds into his mouth.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer