Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: territorial buns/neutralising a big territory - ideas please!

Hello hello!

Spooky timing, I was just about to start a new thread to introduce this little rescue fella:

(no idea whether these photos will display properly but worth a try!)

He has been checked over by the vet and is generally ok (he was a tiny bit malnourished - he had been fed mostly muesli - but as you can see from photo 2, he is delighted by his new diet of forage and veg!), and has had his jabs, but he needs to be neutered before I can introduce him to the naughty pair.
    [guessing I need to give it 2 months post 'snip' before introductions?]

So currently we have mayhem in the house, as I have given him my front room, away from the others, so as to allow the naughties access to the usual parts of the garden/house such that they don't suspect anything is up, (and I have to completely change/shower between spending time with each set of bunnies to avoid any smells giving the game away)...

Interestingly, 'new bun' doesn't chin rub or scent anything, whereas the original pair (see Honey yesterday, chinning a totally fresh piece of cardboard box in the lounge for no apparent reason other than to stake a claim!!) will scent anything that comes in to the house, even it has been nowhere near other animals:

...I will introduce new bun and his story properly on a fresh thread

Hoping all's well with you and your troop!

Mx x

Quote Originally Posted by Squishies View Post
    Hello hello!

Spooky timing, I was just about to start a new thread to introduce this little rescue fella:

(no idea whether these photos will display properly but worth a try!)

He has been checked over by the vet and is generally ok (he was a tiny bit malnourished - he had been fed mostly muesli - but as you can see from photo 2, he is delighted by his new diet of forage and veg!), and has had his jabs, but he needs to be neutered before I can introduce him to the naughty pair.
    [guessing I need to give it 2 months post 'snip' before introductions?]

So currently we have mayhem in the house, as I have given him my front room, away from the others, so as to allow the naughties access to the usual parts of the garden/house such that they don't suspect anything is up, (and I have to completely change/shower between spending time with each set of bunnies to avoid any smells giving the game away)...

Interestingly, 'new bun' doesn't chin rub or scent anything, whereas the original pair (see Honey yesterday, chinning a totally fresh piece of cardboard box in the lounge for no apparent reason other than to stake a claim!!) will scent anything that comes in to the house, even it has been nowhere near other animals:

...I will introduce new bun and his story properly on a fresh thread

Hoping all's well with you and your troop!

Mx x

Lovely to hear from you again

I can't wait for more info and photos. You brave person! I'm glad you're going for it again and being ultra careful.

I always leave a couple of months post neuter. If you want to be really safe then leave three, but two should be enough. Did he come from a rescue centre? If so, I'm surprised they released him without neutering first.

Has he had his jabs? Presume not?

hola!

Yes, mega careful is the way this time! ...I also figured at least 2 months post-neuter, and will be taking all the rabbits to my parents' house for the week to ensure complete neutrality.

He was a "Gumtree rescue", and was simply too beautiful to pass by -- classic case of designer bunny being purchased for a young child, who had quickly lost interest, and poor mum was struggling to look after him/unsure of best way to care for a rabbit. He was in a tiny cage and his nails were all grown round, poor little mite. He is currently having a ball binkying in my lounge and discovering new leafy foods, which is all proving a delight to behold, although really hard work keeping them all separate for so long.

...I got him checked over by Daisy at the vets, as I was worried about his teeth if he hadn't been on hay (they're fine), and we did his combined jabs to start with.
    I was thinking of getting him in to be snipped next week.

Did the photos work, does anyone know what breed he is?
    I think he is a Netherland dwarf smoke pearl marten, but really I don't mind/just curious, I just fell in love with him really!
    ...I don't know what I'm going to do if the other two munchkins do not accept him. I think he will be a good little match for Honey, as he is active but with a very good-natured temperament, but Einstein can be a real grump sometimes, even towards Honey, so who knows?!

Mx x

hola!

Yes, mega careful is the way this time! ...I also figured at least 2 months post-neuter, and will be taking all the rabbits to my parents' house for the week to ensure complete neutrality.

He was a "Gumtree rescue", and was simply too beautiful to pass by -- classic case of designer bunny being purchased for a young child, who had quickly lost interest, and poor mum was struggling to look after him/unsure of best way to care for a rabbit. He was in a tiny cage and his nails were all grown round, poor little mite. He is currently having a ball binkying in my lounge and discovering new leafy foods, which is all proving a delight to behold, although really hard work keeping them all separate for so long.

...I got him checked over by Daisy at the vets, as I was worried about his teeth if he hadn't been on hay (they're fine), and we did his combined jabs to start with.
    I was thinking of getting him in to be snipped next week.

Did the photos work, does anyone know what breed he is?
    I think he is a Netherland dwarf smoke pearl marten, but really I don't mind/just curious, I just fell in love with him really!
    ...I don't know what I'm going to do if the other two munchkins do not accept him. I think he will be a good little match for Honey, as he is active but with a very good-natured temperament, but Einstein can be a real grump sometimes, even towards Honey, so who knows?!

Mx x

Daisy

Did she say how old he might be, or did the owner tell you?

His breed - bit of a mix I would say, but you're probably mainly right His ears are a bit long and body shape a bit slim for a true Nethie, but only having rescue buns I'm no expert on breeds!

I really hope he matches up with the other two. Your gut told you it was the right thing to do

Did you have to travel far for him?

Really nothing useful to add (sorry!) but he is so gorgeous! I hope it all works out well for you

Likewise, I don't really know too much beyond the basic breeds, I have to say!
    ...I quite like that his ears are a bit bigger than a true Nethie, and I think he's a touch bigger and leaner - he's basically "more rabbity", he sort of looks like a cartoon rabbit sometimes!

Yes, M H, he's just so stunning, I don't really mind what he is, I just *needed* him!
    ...he is a bit grumpy today (despite having 4 times the space he used to, plus play time in the lounge! he likes to climb the sofa and sit atop like a little mountain goat), and has done much paper shredding for me {thank you little one, that's just what I needed?!}. Ungrateful little furball <joke> ~ what is it with rabbits that the more space you give them, the more they want??!

Yes, MM, I really like Daisy, she's really dedicated; takes it all very seriously/understands just how complex bunnies are, and if she's ever unsure (I often ask very odd questions!), she will always look in to it for you and call you with an update.

Not far really, this side of London. The owners were well-intended and doing their best; I think they'd been given some really bad advice from the breeder actually, (including to feed him muesli and keep him on his own), so it really wasn't their fault, they wanted the best for him and I think the time involved in looking after him came as bit of a shock. They were very honest and sweet, and were very conscientious in seeing lots of 'applicants' before letting him go.

Likewise, I don't really know too much beyond the basic breeds, I have to say!
    ...I quite like that his ears are a bit bigger than a true Nethie, and I think he's a touch bigger and leaner - he's basically "more rabbity", he sort of looks like a cartoon rabbit sometimes!

Yes, M H, he's just so stunning, I don't really mind what he is, I just *needed* him!
    ...he is a bit grumpy today (despite having 4 times the space he used to, plus play time in the lounge! he likes to climb the sofa and sit atop like a little mountain goat), and has done much paper shredding for me {thank you little one, that's just what I needed?!}. Ungrateful little furball <joke> ~ what is it with rabbits that the more space you give them, the more they want??!

Yes, MM, I really like Daisy, she's really dedicated; takes it all very seriously/understands just how complex bunnies are, and if she's ever unsure (I often ask very odd questions!), she will always look in to it for you and call you with an update.

Not far really, this side of London. The owners were well-intended and doing their best; I think they'd been given some really bad advice from the breeder actually, (including to feed him muesli and keep him on his own), so it really wasn't their fault, they wanted the best for him and I think the time involved in looking after him came as bit of a shock. They were very honest and sweet, and were very conscientious in seeing lots of 'applicants' before letting him go.

Well having spoken with you M, I know how utterly dedicated you are

Tell me, having the little one now, do you think you'll find a use for those 'redundant' CC panels?