• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor pen flooring help

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello.

Our current set up for our buns is two XL dog cages which we have attached together. They also have an extra puppy pen attached.

So here's my query.

Archie my tiny ND, can move the pen around like it weighs a feather! We have put 5kg weights in front of 3 corners and he lifts the pen over them! The pen is 8 panels that are all attached but it's not a rigid shape so he can easily move them about.

This isn't a huge issue except that the pen then leaves the vinyl material I've put down and he can get to the edges. And he of course chews them!

Soooo. What can I put on the floor that he can't or wont chew? We are renting so can't change the carpet underneath.

I was thinking kitchen floor lino as that is harder? The material we currently have is more like a dining table vinyl cloth. So it wrinkles up and is hard to keep flat.

When we clean them, we put them in the kitchen and we have noticed they don't like this lino type flooring though?

Any ideas?

Excuse the hay everywhere.

321f4e1827fa2a75682a42f4e1fbebaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

You could cut a large piece of ply board to size to stick non slip vynil flooring to, if you drilled holes in the right places you could fasten the pen down to the board with tie wraps, or some other metal hoop fastening?

You might get an off cut of vynil from a carpet shop, independent ones are often more likely to give you it for free or very cheap if you say it's for your rabbits . I got vynil for a 2 tier hutch for free once, the man apologised that it was 2 different colours:lol: I said the rabbits wouldn't mind :lol:

Hi, I had something similar set up for our two indoor buns, to section off certain areas and one of them would do as you say and chew the edges. We resorted to buying cheap carpet tiles and using them upside down, this worked for a while until she started shredding these too :roll:.

Since then, these two buns have moved to an outside set up and I have a single male in there at the moment. So far he hasn't even attempted to chew anything, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So no real advice lol, but just to say I hear you :lol: x

Hi Zoobec.

I had thought of plywood covered in vinyl. I just wasn't sure if they'd like the surface. I could try a small sample piece if I sit with them.

Metal hoop idea is good except we have to be easily able to move it when we are home. :)

I think my buns would might if there was different colours! They are very fussy. Haha

Hi thethreeb's.

Haha yes some buns just seem determined on world domination. His mission is to escape and scent everything upstairs!

Yeah carpet tiles would definitely not stop him. He once escaped whilst I was on the sofa. I had no idea he snuck out the door. Thought it was oddly quiet and then noticed the gap in the door.....found him in our bedroom scenting my washing basket. Haha

Hello. So I've finally got some new flooring after trying 4 shops today in the pouring rain. They have some lovely new vinyl which hopefully will pass the bunny test!

Also got a new hay rack which will stop them weeing in their hay!

Thanks for your help.
7f4439a39abf173014f2518da433c0e6.jpg

Awww Archie just did his teeth clicking/purring. They are doing their best to be cutie poppets tonight...

Well we've had the new bunny flooring for about a week. All has gone well so far. Archie doesn't appear to be interested in eating it. Pip has of course wee'd on it multiple times but I'm hoping that will stop once she thinks it smells right!

Unfortunately it's more slippy than the material we had previously. Pip just did one of her mega sprints and slammed right into the pen because although she stopped running she carried on sliding towards it!!!

I think she's ok just a bit shocked.

I'm wondering if a large piece of fleece on top would be a good idea?

I think she's ok, but as sprinting at full speed is her favourite hobby, I'm wondering if I can put something on top of the vinyl to help her skidding.

Back