• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Helping to bond some rabbits

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I've volunteered to help bond a friends rabbits. I don't know why I have done this because we all know how bad I am at bonding (only 1 bond under my belt!) but they are quite inexperienced. I just hope that I can help.

I usually use the fast approach to bonding but in this situation I think that the slow approach will work better as they both work full time and they have children etc.
So they are going to be living side by side for a little while and take it in turns for playtime. After a little while they will switch litter trays/cages etc and then I'm going to help out with the first introduction on neutral territory in a few weeks.
The new rabbit that they are taking in is currently being kept as a house rabbit and the rabbit that they already have is an outdoor rabbit. Apparently he can't be handled/stroked and he growls and lunges at them so they are hoping that a friend will do him some good.
I'm going round tonight to meet the rabbits and to help set up a suitable living arrangement for them :)

Does anyone on here use the slow approach to bonding? If so, any tips?

Last edited:
I use the slow approach kinda.

I do a few dates so buns can get an idea of each other. After 3 / 4 dates I see how they're doing. If fairly comfortable I then move onto a long bonding session for a weekend before moving into shared accommodation.
I tried the slow method with the girls, but it just confused them .They'd sort everything out and then be separated again and it really hindered our bonding progress.

Yes that's what I want to avoid really!
The plan is to have them living side by side for a while with them switching litter trays/cages for maybe 2 weeks and then over a weekend I'll help to introduce them and hopefully have them moved into the hutch they will be living in by the end of the weekend. Adding runs and extra space as time goes by.
Do you think that would work? Assuming they like eachother anyway!

Plan has changed because she hasn't been spayed! They are going to keep her as a house rabbit for now whilst they research spaying etc :)
I bet she never gets put outside now :lol:

Back