Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179

Thread: Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

  1. #21
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    8,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    Good idea, I think that would be good for him, would a low dose of metacam be good as well? Just to make sure, if it's still painful for him in any way, there might be a time of day when a small dose can hopefully assist him to eat and continue to get the ignition going in his gut.
    In addition to providing pain relief, Metacam also has anti-inflammatory properties and is a standard medication to use where EC is suspected, to relieve any inflammation in the brain.

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    126,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    The vet is doing 2 visits today, tomorrow and Thursday (working at home Weds) to assist with his CC feed/meds as I'm back at work.

    Good idea, I think that would be good for him, would a low dose of metacam be good as well? Just to make sure, if it's still painful for him in any way, there might be a time of day when a small dose can hopefully assist him to eat and continue to get the ignition going in his gut.

    Is there any risk to Siddi's health by prolonging these meds? Damage to Kidneys or Liver etc?


    The vet said we have two options at this stage prior to your point about continuing his meds for a bit, it's just to carry on when his course is meant to expire or if he has a bad couple of days to refer him to a specialist (Royal Vet College in Potters Bar is only 15 miles away). That is an absolute last resort / backup but just in case, however I will ask the vet about extra days of M + Z & possibly Metacam.

    Not that this should matter but we got in a very disputed insurance claim for him, in the end I have ended up paying for it all. As I've got savings from being at home, I will throw the kitchen sink at making sure my little fella gets the best quality of life as is possible at this point, his breed can live 12 years. In my mind, I want to make sure he gets those years!! My point is, we will not give up on him. He's such good progress now and we have our fingers crossed & praying it continues.
    All medication can have side effects, the Vet will weigh up risks v benefits. Another reason why a full blood profile would be helpful is that it would enable the Vet to make more informed decisions re medication doses etc.

    I am sorry that your Insurance Company has been so 'difficult'. So many Insurance Companies are very quick to take our money for our Insurance Premium but very reluctant when it comes to paying out on a claim.

  3. #23
    Young Bun Sidditherabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Hah, difficult is an understatement. Just grateful for the first time in my life there was an alternative way..

    Thanks for the advice on blood, if we see any backwards steps from here on in then I think it's the next immediate step. Thank you so much for your time today.

    The vet actually mentioned in the afternoon visit that metacam should stay on for a bit post Thursday. I will run the metoclopramide and zantac through with them tomorrow! 30 minutes from now and I get my evening with the little man! Hurray!

    Touchwood he continues his linear progress and is back to normal routine in the near future.

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    Hi, Nice to meet you!

    I think poor Siddi was extremely stressed at the vets and by the car journeys to and from (20 minutes on Motorway) the 24 hour vet.

    He has calmed down but he is often grinding his teeth in pain at the moment. His teeth were examined the day before he came out the vets and all was fine. I have got them to check again today on the home visit, so far the fronts are fine, they're going to come back later today to check the back.

    His feed is normally 2 spoons of Pellets in the morning (7am) and then 2 spoons at 11pm. He has free roam of veggies (Carrot tops which he loves, Broccoli, Cali-flower leaves, sometimes the odd carrot slice, watercress, some others. NEVER lettuce. from 6pm left in his bowl when I'm back from work and his cage is replaced daily with fresh hay.

    I've been giving him belly rubs constantly since he's been back, he really grinds his teeth in a purring way when I do this as if it's helping him.

    I got some infacol from boots earlier today but I'm still not sure about it, if I see him really struggling to put his belly down or I can hear really loud gas coming from his belly, I guess that is as good as time to give him them as ever?

    I read somewhere that while obviously they can't be sick, they can't burp either so it might not help him??

    His poops day by day have made a little bit of progress but they look rather dry, he had a few on Saturday night that were larger, albeit not consistent. Like you said, it can really take time. It's just the worry and stress knowing how quickly they can tell.

    Thank you for the hug, all the best


    I think you're doing well here

    Infacol is amazing stuff Siddi I can give you a list as long as my arm (and then some) of people who's rabbits it's helped. You can give one ml every hour for three doses, and then three doses a day from then onwards.

    There is honestly no side effect to Infacol, just good effect, as it's not absorbed by the body

    I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, but if you can get some Infacol, it's a life-saver. My lovely vet thinks this too

    Welcome to the Forum, and good luck

  5. #25
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    126,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    Hah, difficult is an understatement. Just grateful for the first time in my life there was an alternative way..

    Thanks for the advice on blood, if we see any backwards steps from here on in then I think it's the next immediate step. Thank you so much for your time today.

    The vet actually mentioned in the afternoon visit that metacam should stay on for a bit post Thursday. I will run the metoclopramide and zantac through with them tomorrow! 30 minutes from now and I get my evening with the little man! Hurray!

    Touchwood he continues his linear progress and is back to normal routine in the near future.
    I bet Siddi will be very happy to see you ! You obviously have a remarkable bond with the little fella x

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    Hah, difficult is an understatement. Just grateful for the first time in my life there was an alternative way..

    Thanks for the advice on blood, if we see any backwards steps from here on in then I think it's the next immediate step. Thank you so much for your time today.

    The vet actually mentioned in the afternoon visit that metacam should stay on for a bit post Thursday. I will run the metoclopramide and zantac through with them tomorrow! 30 minutes from now and I get my evening with the little man! Hurray!

    Touchwood he continues his linear progress and is back to normal routine in the near future.

    Absolutely - I like the way your vet is thinking

  7. #27
    Young Bun Sidditherabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    81

    Default

    My vet isn't convinced with infacol so don't know what to do! Is there any risk to him what so ever or will it only soothe any excessive gas he has while he gets used to eating normally again instead of critical care??

    Our bond is special because I think he didn't bond with other rabbits! My parents and gf always joke hes a one man rabbit. He's always waited by the door for when I get in from work and typically will follow me about the house unless sleeping when he takes himself off to a designated spot. I have no idea how this happened. We rescued him after my girlfriend had an operation in 2010 and when we moved wanted a pet! She grew up on a farm so think she just missed animals, but I was doing a masters at uni that year and lived there too while she worked. I was there 6 days out of 7 most of the time and probably got attached then. I love him to absolute bits now.

    Just want to minimise the pain he is in and help him get back to full fitness, however long it may take!

  8. #28
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    My vet isn't convinced with infacol so don't know what to do! Is there any risk to him what so ever or will it only soothe any excessive gas he has while he gets used to eating normally again instead of critical care??

    Our bond is special because I think he didn't bond with other rabbits! My parents and gf always joke hes a one man rabbit. He's always waited by the door for when I get in from work and typically will follow me about the house unless sleeping when he takes himself off to a designated spot. I have no idea how this happened. We rescued him after my girlfriend had an operation in 2010 and when we moved wanted a pet! She grew up on a farm so think she just missed animals, but I was doing a masters at uni that year and lived there too while she worked. I was there 6 days out of 7 most of the time and probably got attached then. I love him to absolute bits now.

    Just want to minimise the pain he is in and help him get back to full fitness, however long it may take!

    It's a medication that is given to babies to help them burp up excess gas. It's not absorbed by the body and doesn't cause harm. But it's your choice

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    126,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    My vet isn't convinced with infacol so don't know what to do! Is there any risk to him what so ever or will it only soothe any excessive gas he has while he gets used to eating normally again instead of critical care??

    Our bond is special because I think he didn't bond with other rabbits! My parents and gf always joke hes a one man rabbit. He's always waited by the door for when I get in from work and typically will follow me about the house unless sleeping when he takes himself off to a designated spot. I have no idea how this happened. We rescued him after my girlfriend had an operation in 2010 and when we moved wanted a pet! She grew up on a farm so think she just missed animals, but I was doing a masters at uni that year and lived there too while she worked. I was there 6 days out of 7 most of the time and probably got attached then. I love him to absolute bits now.

    Just want to minimise the pain he is in and help him get back to full fitness, however long it may take!
    The Infacol wont do any harm, but if your Vet specifically advised against using it then I'd follow that advice. None of us on here are qualified in Veterinary medicine, we can only offer 'unqualified' advice based on our experiences. Personally I do not use Infacol, not because I think it could be harmful but because I have never found it to be of any help at all. I have always found warm peppermint tea to be far more beneficial for Rabbits with tummy pain due to gas. It also has the added benefit of increasing the fluid intake of a poorly Bunny with no additives such as the saccharin, salt and E numbers that are in Infacol

  10. #30
    Young Bun Sidditherabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Peppermint tea? Interesting!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •