Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Sidditherabbit View Post
    Hey dudes,

Sid came home last night. The blood in his poops has all but gone, looked like a bit of a sore bum which we will have to treat with a bit of gel every day just to keep it from rupturing again.

Interesting evening really, he had minimal teeth grinds and was very active but he now has some interesting postures (albeit not the pain, readjusting postures, it was more one constant) vets think he's trying to take pressure of his bum touching the floor for now as it's a bit raw.

Also, he had a bout in the middle of the night after a tea spoon of nuggets, kale, parsley and a lot of water where he sounded like he had 5 pints and a curry. It was really really loud, as in human loud from the other side of the room loud rumbling and gurgling. The strangest part of it was he was active and fine while it was going on bar towards the end when it quietened down where he lay down for a bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150482...posted-public/ - the noises had died down by this point but you can still see his stomach going

I know I'm paranoid but check out between 40-50 seconds - how is that comfortable for the bigman? I don't understand the logic in bringing him home if he's in serious pain, all further diagnostics can be carried out at the vet.. Perhaps, it's just his body getting used to life again and given his weight loss it's a lot more visible. Gurgling like you've had a monster dinner isn't normal though.

Worth also pointing out he drank 125ml from his bowl between 22:30 / 08:30 - peed loads and poopd loads, his poops look proper wet though, firm enough! Think it's all forward progress albeit v slow! On we go!

All the best
    Rich

One of my Rabbits has a chronic condition which effects the innervation of his GI tract, amongst other things. He has the same pronounced peristaltic waves every day. They are painless, but they look very dramatic. The GI tract element of my Rabbit's chronic condition is mostly managed by him having to follow a very strict diet plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdAjaB0_xuo

Interestingly I have seen the same abdominal symptoms in a few Rabbits, all of whom have a grey/frosty point /broken grey fur colouring. Which makes me think that there might be a genetic factor involved. I have no other clinical evidence of this being the case though.

I hope that Siddi continues to improve now that he is back home x

Hey dudes,

Sid came home last night. The blood in his poops has all but gone, looked like a bit of a sore bum which we will have to treat with a bit of gel every day just to keep it from rupturing again.

Interesting evening really, he had minimal teeth grinds and was very active but he now has some interesting postures (albeit not the pain, readjusting postures, it was more one constant) vets think he's trying to take pressure of his bum touching the floor for now as it's a bit raw.

Also, he had a bout in the middle of the night after a tea spoon of nuggets, kale, parsley and a lot of water where he sounded like he had 5 pints and a curry. It was really really loud, as in human loud from the other side of the room loud rumbling and gurgling. The strangest part of it was he was active and fine while it was going on bar towards the end when it quietened down where he lay down for a bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150482...posted-public/ - the noises had died down by this point but you can still see his stomach going

I know I'm paranoid but check out between 40-50 seconds - how is that comfortable for the bigman? I don't understand the logic in bringing him home if he's in serious pain, all further diagnostics can be carried out at the vet.. Perhaps, it's just his body getting used to life again and given his weight loss it's a lot more visible. Gurgling like you've had a monster dinner isn't normal though.

Worth also pointing out he drank 125ml from his bowl between 22:30 / 08:30 - peed loads and poopd loads, his poops look proper wet though, firm enough! Think it's all forward progress albeit v slow! On we go!

All the best
    Rich

Hi there

I am glad he came home. I do recognise the peristalsis you describe, it's occurred in one of my rabbits in the past - something like this here (not my rabbit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbOICAaOuw

Have you told the vet about this, and have they indicated anything changing in his diet? I wonder whether the US vets may throw more light?

All noted, have forwarded on the video to the vet too. Safety first and all that! Thanks for your advice all, you have been beyond great!

Hello again,

So sid is drinking a fair bit of water as mentioned, looks like he was fast asleep and managed to pee himself.

Given the amount if meds he's on we aren't surprised, this is the second time in a fortnight now though.

I want to make sure he doesn't get a uti and reading round mentions clearing off pee on his coat to minimise pain. Ive got small animal shampoo by Johnsons but he is so clean naturally we have never used it. Is this a case where we should? Then get it dry asap...

Finally he was ravenous for salt yesterday. I've got him a small animals mineral block safe to give him for a day? Might help? Do I let him see if he wants a bit?

Sorry for so many questions but just so keen for him to get best possible treatment!!

Rich

Warren Veteran

Hello again,

So sid is drinking a fair bit of water as mentioned, looks like he was fast asleep and managed to pee himself.

Given the amount if meds he's on we aren't surprised, this is the second time in a fortnight now though.

I want to make sure he doesn't get a uti and reading round mentions clearing off pee on his coat to minimise pain. Ive got small animal shampoo by Johnsons but he is so clean naturally we have never used it. Is this a case where we should? Then get it dry asap...

Finally he was ravenous for salt yesterday. I've got him a small animals mineral block safe to give him for a day? Might help? Do I let him see if he wants a bit?

Sorry for so many questions but just so keen for him to get best possible treatment!!

Rich
    I don't understand why some pee on his coat would be likely to cause pain If it's very occasionally, then I would not use the animal shampoo on him, but would maybe just wipe it off with a cloth with plain water before drying quickly. If it's an area where he can reach to clean it himself, I would probably just leave it and make sure he did.

I'm interested to know how you knew he was "ravenous for salt" Did he already have a salt block? I've never given my rabbits one of these, although I'm not sure that they are actually harmful or not. Hopefully someone else will have an opinion on that. I would have thought that having lots of salt would also make him drink more.

Personally I would try to keep Siddi's diet simple at the moment and wouldn't change anything. That way, if he starts with a new symptom you will know that it's not something he has eaten that's causing it.

He's certainly presenting with an unusual mix of symptoms! I'm sorry, you must be worried.

Hi Omi,

Was doing a bit of reading and said it can irritate, however I think it's a minimal amount of pee so hopefully he's fine.

He used to have a salt block in our old house, he did use it but since we moved he hasn't bothered with it.

He has just eaten some greens, hay and about 10 pellets again (his poops have been fine today since 8am 45+) however it sounds like he's just eating a massive meal again. He seems fine within himself though, yet again.

I've stuck another video online as the vet wanted to hear the noises... feel free to see what you think..

Bar the noises, this is one of his most relaxed postures he's in, it's normally very rare he does this. It's either in the sunshine like the video or in front of the file place in the winter!

Hello again,

Rich

Poor lad!

A bit of pee on his fur won't harm him. If it's bad and he's not up to cleaning himself, I would wash just that area with warm water. In cases of more pee I give a butt bath with half an inch of water. I then dry thoroughly usually using a hairdryer on a cool setting.

I'm not a fan of mineral and salt blocks. There's salt in veggies, and also in pellets if he's eating them .. I have yet to come across a salt deprived rabbit, but ask your vet if unsure?

Vet said same as you as to not bother with stick. Poor old gurgling belly of his sounds like he's been on coca cola all night.

Yet to be fair he shows no real sign of discomfort, he is licking everything though, we have some rocks in the back room some crappy 70s feature of the house and he's licking that, my legs and the radiator. That's got to be for a lack of something. Considering all his critical care, fibreplex, I just don't understand what it is he needs...