• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hello - Week 2 of Stasis (Long read sorry)

Hey folks,

Thought I may update this to get you up to speed:

Sid had surgery last Tuesday (6th Feb) to remove the mass. It was the size of a table tennis ball in the end, but it's out.

It's the 14th today, he came home yesterday, he is as well as he can be given the op that he had. (Day 8)

We are struggling to get him to eat a lot, the odd graze of hay, parsley aside and nibble of pellets but there is barely any swelling left and he's fairly normal. The next step is to work a safe way to critical care him without picking him up from the chest (we can't touch that area for 30 days)

He is clicking a fair bit, it's clearly irritating him but he's on a big dose daily of metacam, so hopefully that will see him through the next few days.

Most of his story is on sidditherabbit on twitter if you want to have a look.

Rich

Hey folks,

Sid had surgery last Tuesday (6th Feb) to remove the mass. It was the size of a table tennis ball in the end, but it's out.

It's the 14th today, he came home yesterday, he is as well as he can be given the op that he had. (Day 8)

We are struggling to get him to eat a lot, the odd graze of hay, parsley aside and nibble of pellets but there is barely any swelling left and he's fairly normal. The next step is to work a safe way to critical care him without picking him up from the chest (we can't touch that area for 30 days)

He is clicking a fair bit, it's clearly irritating him but he's on a big dose daily of metacam, so hopefully that will see him through the next few days.

Rich

Hi Rich

What an amazing Rabbit Siddi is !! I really hope that he can recover from his major surgery. Hopefully his eating will improve over the next few days x

Hey folks,

Rich

Gracious what a lot you've all been through! Did he have the surgery at Watford?

I'm so glad to hear things are looking positive and long may they continue. Amazing work :D

Surgery was up in Sileby in Leicestershire, great great great vet up there and so far so good, 10 days on now.

He's eating and pooping like a champ today, only thing is over the day he's been shaking his head frequently. I've started him on Panacur tonight, just in case. Is there anything else worth taking?

Cheers
Rich

Surgery was up in Sileby in Leicestershire, great great great vet up there and so far so good, 10 days on now.

He's eating and pooping like a champ today, only thing is over the day he's been shaking his head frequently. I've started him on Panacur tonight, just in case. Is there anything else worth taking?

Cheers
Rich

Have you had a look into Siddi's ears Rich ? The head shaking could be due to ear mites which can occur in Rabbits who's immune system is under heavy challenge. Another possibility is an ear infection. When is Siddi due back at the Vets ? I think it'd be a good idea to get the Vet to have a look into Siddi's ears. Personally I'd hold off with giving Panacur until first speaking with the Vet. But that is a decision for you to make :)

Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich

Sorry to hear that he's shaking his head. You could get the vet to look in his ears next time you go - I'm not sure when that will be? It could be that he has some wax in there and just needs a clean out at this stage. It may also be a bit of irritation from a catheter, if he's had one in his ear at some point?

Has he had a course of Panacur in the recent past, sorry I can't remember ...?

Howdy,

He has had panacur numerous times before. His ears look clear at the moment but they are slightly scabby from his time at the vets & catheter. Wax perhaps is possible lower in the ear? Also, it's worth pointing out he is moulting heavily at the moment, perhaps grains of hair are getting in and winding him up!

Do any of your buns suffer from irritation from hay (a particular type etc) or perhaps even washing detergent? Just trying to build a list of things it might be and try to change them if it's possible. He seems to have a bit of a runny nose at night and a slightly weepy eye again, given the vet checked the teeth while removing the thymoma I'm not really sure what else could be causing it! Cheers folks.

Day 11 since the op and trying to run about like a mad man this evening, had to steer him into a 6x4 playpen just so he heals and rests!

Thanks once again!

Howdy,

He has had panacur numerous times before. His ears look clear at the moment but they are slightly scabby from his time at the vets & catheter. Wax perhaps is possible lower in the ear? Also, it's worth pointing out he is moulting heavily at the moment, perhaps grains of hair are getting in and winding him up!

Do any of your buns suffer from irritation from hay (a particular type etc) or perhaps even washing detergent? Just trying to build a list of things it might be and try to change them if it's possible. He seems to have a bit of a runny nose at night and a slightly weepy eye again, given the vet checked the teeth while removing the thymoma I'm not really sure what else could be causing it! Cheers folks.

Day 11 since the op and trying to run about like a mad man this evening, had to steer him into a 6x4 playpen just so he heals and rests!

Thanks once again!

Given the above bolded info I would consider the possibility of a low grade infection, the ears and the upper respiratory tract are intrinsically linked. An URTI/Ear infection can develop when a Rabbit's immune system is already under significant challenge. Symptoms can include nasal discharge, gunky eyes, gunky ears. The symptoms can initially appear to be minimal.

Of course it may not be infection at all, but given Siddi's already health compromised state it is something I would want my Vet to check on as soon as possible.

Hope Siddi has a good day today :love:

Howdy,

Thanks once again!

You could be right about the moulting, and also when a rabbit is in moult their immune system can get depleted (the energy they spend on moulting). I try and give extra calories in some form or another for a moulting rabbit.

The weepy eye and runny nose could also be a sign of a low immune system, which isn't necessarily an infection as such. You could perhaps try using something like echinacea - or other immune system boosters - to help him along? They sometimes work as well as/better than antibiotics.

This is one you could try:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

There's also some good info here:

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

Howdy folks,

Hope you're well. Just a small update. Sid is ok. (57 days post op)

Firstly, thanks for all your help over the past year I think it's been.

He's going to the vets for a check up on Monday (his first since surgery).

He has had no 3rd eyeline protusion since the op other than when really trying to collect cecotropes, one day after his op and last week.

His breathing is fairly heavy still, which we were told would be the new 'new' after this op, it's not really stopped him from being active though, other than slightly sore hocks which we will get treated Monday.

He does make a popping/clicking noise (from the nose) every minute or so with his breathing which isn't normal, however with his trust these days I can listen with an ear from mm's from his nose and there is no panic/rushed breathing after it. I've seen nothing from the mouth or from his actual body to show that he's having difficulty breathing, but I have no idea what that noise is. He does struggle on a full belly a bit more and a hunched position, but on an empty stomach and on the move early in the morning, he behaves like nothing bothers him, even had bunny 500's last week.

Hopefully can get to the bottom of the noise with an ultrasound next week and get the ears check even though there's been improvement.

Take care all, hopefully speak soon! Thanks once again.

Back