Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which to Neuter

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    can a GA cause respiratory problems? im very curious now
    I doubt it, but if a bunny already has respiratory problems and undergoes a GA then any breathing problems may be increased (same as in a human), which in turn makes the GA more risky, hence your vet advising antibiotics prior to surgery.

My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    I doubt it, but if a bunny already has respiratory problems and undergoes a GA then any breathing problems may be increased (same as in a human), which in turn makes the GA more risky, hence your vet advising antibiotics prior to surgery.
    Yes, it is not that a GA will cause a RTI but rather it could allow a latent infection to take hold. So if a Rabbit is known to have respiratory tract issues prophylactic antibiotic cover is often given. Just as the Vet has suggested

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    can a GA cause respiratory problems? im very curious now

Hi BC

No it does not.

It's a precaution for the vet to give antibiotics 'prophylactically', which means that the snuffle condition will be brought under control as much as possible before, during and after the operation. When a person or animal has a GA, their immune system is challenged. I would be someone who gives echinacea in those circumstances. A vet is someone who gives antibiotics.

Does that make sense?

I think you are right as to getting them both done. It was her behaviour that made me think we need to get her done but tonight we brought them in for a run as it was very wet out and he was right behind her constantly. I was very frustrated for him! So we put him back and let them out separately. When we brought him out later he was honking and thumping. He was racing around. He was so agitated. When my husband sat on the floor he was running ring around him, honking and thumping. I see now why there is no way we could get her done and not him! He'd drive her insane. She'd get so worn down by him. So perhaps we need to get him done first, for his sanity!!! Thank you for your advise. I think I'll be booking him in for a weeks time after antibiotics.

Oh and I do put Echinacia in their water. Someone advised it in here a few weeks ago and I told the vet after the antibiotics did nothing over about 4 wks and he looked in here and said try it. I put 2 drops to every 100ml of water in the bottle. Is that enough or too much do you think? I still hear and see them sneezing but I don't know if it's any less than usual as they are outside bunnies. They've had a weather cover over them since we got them but the front is always open. In fact we need to really take it off now weather is warmer, however it's absolutely throwing it down again outside today! She had the upstairs of the double hutch with the separate bedding area and he had the downstairs with a hut. Ladders are removed and a board nailed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Yes, it is not that a GA will cause a RTI but rather it could allow a latent infection to take hold. So if a Rabbit is known to have respiratory tract issues prophylactic antibiotic cover is often given. Just as the Vet has suggested
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi BC

No it does not.

It's a precaution for the vet to give antibiotics 'prophylactically', which means that the snuffle condition will be brought under control as much as possible before, during and after the operation. When a person or animal has a GA, their immune system is challenged. I would be someone who gives echinacea in those circumstances. A vet is someone who gives antibiotics.

Does that make sense?
    ah okay! thank you. that makes a lot more sense. I was a bit confused as to why the vet would prescribe antibiotics for a GA i never thought about the immune system being challenged either. the more you know

follow us on instagram! @binky.hams

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    I think you are right as to getting them both done. It was her behaviour that made me think we need to get her done but tonight we brought them in for a run as it was very wet out and he was right behind her constantly. I was very frustrated for him! So we put him back and let them out separately. When we brought him out later he was honking and thumping. He was racing around. He was so agitated. When my husband sat on the floor he was running ring around him, honking and thumping. I see now why there is no way we could get her done and not him! He'd drive her insane. She'd get so worn down by him. So perhaps we need to get him done first, for his sanity!!! Thank you for your advise. I think I'll be booking him in for a weeks time after antibiotics.

You are absolutely right, and it could break the bond eventually.

Good luck with the neutering - very wise decision

The vet has suggested the female be done first as the male takes a few weeks to be infurtile. She said we could have them both done at the same time and they can then be kept in the same cage indoors with vests on the prevent pulling at the wound although all stitches are internal. She said they have follow up app at 3 days and again 7 days after that. They give them a 24 hr pain relief but if needed they can send some home and they give them an injection before the op to get gut moving to prevent problems after. Does this all sound ok to you guys??

That all sounds alright to me, Louise H. Except, I would expect metacam to be sent home with the rabbit as routine - especially for the doe as it's more invasive. I would also want emeprid now as it's a gut stimulant and can help encourage a sore and groggy rabbit to eat.

I'm glad you've decided to neuter both and hope they both sail through their respective ops.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Bunnies: Elphie & Selene, Helios & Morningstar, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce & Yuki
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise H View Post
    The vet has suggested the female be done first as the male takes a few weeks to be infurtile. She said we could have them both done at the same time and they can then be kept in the same cage indoors with vests on the prevent pulling at the wound although all stitches are internal. She said they have follow up app at 3 days and again 7 days after that. They give them a 24 hr pain relief but if needed they can send some home and they give them an injection before the op to get gut moving to prevent problems after. Does this all sound ok to you guys??

Yes, a male rabbit can remain fertile for up to 4 weeks post neutering.

Pain relief is essential, and I like the sound of those post op check ups. They shouldn't cost you anything by the way

A female can take a bit longer to get eating, so don't panic but have some syringe feed and syringes at the ready just in case. I use mashed up pellets, or Critical Care/Recovery food with some organic baby veggie/fruit food