• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found my rabbit's bones?!

I've been in the garden today enjoying the sunshine sat near the resting places of my rabbits and spotted what looked like 2 bones above where Mischief is buried. :shock: On further inspection, they look like 2 little vertebrae bones. I've googled it and they do look like rabbit ones... This is really odd as is doesn't look like the bones have been dug up by anything. My dad said something about how bones can make it back to the surface because of earthworms but I don't know how true this is. I'm pretty weirded out that I could possibly have just seen the bones of my rabbit. He passed away in 2012 so it's literally just bone, nothing else.

My passed bunnies are all buried next to each other but I'm guessing it's Mischief as these were found right above where he's buried. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Certainly a strange thing to find. Weirdly fascinating though if it really is him. I wouldn't say it has upset me, just shocked me more than anything. I did take a photo but didn't think it would be appropriate to post but if anyone is interested in seeing and possibly identifying the bones please let me know as I'd like to know if it could potentially be one of my rabbits so I can re-bury them.

I've been in the garden today enjoying the sunshine sat near the resting places of my rabbits and spotted what looked like 2 bones above where Mischief is buried. :shock: On further inspection, they look like 2 little vertebrae bones. I've googled it and they do look like rabbit ones... This is really odd as is doesn't look like the bones have been dug up by anything. My dad said something about how bones can make it back to the surface because of earthworms but I don't know how true this is. I'm pretty weirded out that I could possibly have just seen the bones of my rabbit. He passed away in 2012 so it's literally just bone, nothing else.

My passed bunnies are all buried next to each other but I'm guessing it's Mischief as these were found right above where he's buried. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Certainly a strange thing to find. Weirdly fascinating though if it really is him. I wouldn't say it has upset me, just shocked me more than anything. I did take a photo but didn't think it would be appropriate to post but if anyone is interested in seeing and possibly identifying the bones please let me know as I'd like to know if it could potentially be one of my rabbits so I can re-bury them.

I think the effects of underground water can make skeletons rise. Dont quote me on that though.

I would not like to have to witness a similar scenario :cry:

One of my bridge buns (Rio) is buried in my garden,his grave has sunk a few inches on the grass.He was buried two feet deep (foxes) no sign of anything that was five years ago.His wife bun died two years earlier than him but was cremated by the PDSA communally,I was just so upset at the time I left her there,regret it now.Little hammies and my budgie are buried nearby.

Yes I've heard the earthworm theory and I probably think that's the reason ..

If it is Mischief, I wonder if there's a message there?

Yes I've heard the earthworm theory and I probably think that's the reason ..

If it is Mischief, I wonder if there's a message there?

Aw yes possibly. I feel bad that it hasn't upset me, I feel like it should have done... but instead I've found it quite interesting to see and in a way it was nice to feel his presence again. If he'd not long been buried then it would have been a different story and not pleasant at all but as he's been buried 5 years it was just clean bones, nothing 'disturbing'.

It certainly is possible. When I was younger a bone came up in my garden, and then a horn on the green out the front. Our houses were built on old farmland so must have been from that years ago.

Also broken glass keeps coming to the surface in our garden :shock: It's not turfed at the moment, we cleared it last summer and didn't even see much glass then, but absolutely loads has appeared. :shock: yet another job for me to have to sort out.

I'm glad you were not disturbed by it happening xxx

Aw yes possibly. I feel bad that it hasn't upset me, I feel like it should have done... but instead I've found it quite interesting to see and in a way it was nice to feel his presence again. If he'd not long been buried then it would have been a different story and not pleasant at all but as he's been buried 5 years it was just clean bones, nothing 'disturbing'.

That sounds like a very healthy response, and I would've been pleased to feel his presence too, had he been my rabbit :love:

I suppose it's recycling in a way,nature will find a way .I don't mind it,Small furries bones and avians will just disappear over the years etc.

I have 3 buried in my garden not seen anything like this but grandad did bury them quite deep and in towels or fleece blankets, I have my first 2 rabbits I ever had buried at nan and grandads but the been there a long time now and since then he has built a path over so they are under there, when I put Mabel s ashes and Sox's I did look and thought bless you both I noticed how Sox's seemed more bone fragments but was careful not to spill any were while putting them both in my rabbit ornament nan bought me, I can't bare to put them outside so they stay here in my room, because if by miracle we move from this street then they can come with me

I'm still very upset that we weren't able to cremate my pets that I buried at my house in Alaska. The thought of them being disturbed in any way has always been a dark cloud on my heart. :(

I'm glad it didn't cause you distress, but I'm sorry I can't help with cause or identification. When I was little I used to bury animals that I'd found by the side of the road just for the principle.

I hope you'll be able to find out whose bones these are so they can be put to rest once again. ((((Hugs)))) xxxx

Thank you for your replies. I think if he'd have been dug up by an animal or person that would have really upset me but it seems as though these 2 little bones have made their way to the surface through natural causes and that's what makes it okay, he wasn't 'disturbed' as such. I'm pretty positive they must belong to one of my rabbits and I'll re-bury them tomorrow. Even if it's not one of them, I still believe they should be buried and I'll feel better for doing so. xx

I know at work, at a stable yard, we used to find bones that had risen to the surface, all completely clean, mostly from larger animals though, most likely, by the look of them, horses

When I lost Lady Blue, Sidley and Rosie we find boxes (like shoe boxes) and we wrap them in a towel and place them into the box with their favorite items. Sidley was buried with dandelions and treats, Lady Blue was buried with a treat and her teddy and Rosie was buried with dandelions and a ball.

We dig the holes pretty deep due to foxes and cats around us, also i don't wish to ever accidentally dig them up when planting flowers, or when we move away the new owners to disturb them.

Sidleys grave has sunken slightly, i dont think we compacted it back properly, but otherwise we've been lucky and their graves are un touched :)

Im moving next month and feel like im leaving them behind, i am always talking to them when i go out front :(
Defiantly planning on making a memorial site when i get my own place.

Back