• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Persephone on the verge of stasis

Actually I find that if I've got the slightest hint that there's something wrong with any of them and so sit and watch them, they can appear to do the most worrying things :) The amount of times they've had extra food, just to make sure that all is definitely well.

Thank you, Omi. :)

She's all packed and ready to go. If anyone has any vibes going spare, sending a few Seffy's way would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone. :love:

Persephone is the other side of her dental now. She (and husbun Morpheus) is back home already, ensconced in our xl dog crate for the night. Even though it is the hottest day of the year. :roll: Morph is sulking about this current arrangement and stomping occasionally. Both are eating like tiny horses. Seffy's periscoping all over the place, being her typical wee noseache. She's acting as if she hasn't had a GA. Both buns were 'treated' to a manicure/pedicure as well, though I'm not sure they appreciate it!

She's been sent home with baytril, (cat) metacam (she's only a mini rex after all), and emeprid. Not sure if I'll use the emeprid at this time as she isn't acting as if she needs a gut stimulant right now. She hasn't stopped eating so I don't want to give drugs unnecessarily even if it has been prescribed. We're also seeing action out the other end too. :)

Their set-up ouside feels empty and wrong but I feel SO much better for having her (and Morph) home. :love:

It was nearly a year ago since I rescued her. Where has the time gone?!

...also Ajali cat is slightly miffed by the long-eared interlopers in his territory. The guinea pigs are fine and he likes chilling under their set-up. The rabbits however... ;)

Thanks everyone. :love:

Persephone is the other side of her dental now. She (and husbun Morpheus) is back home already, ensconced in our xl dog crate for the night. Even though it is the hottest day of the year. :roll: Morph is sulking about this current arrangement and stomping occasionally. Both are eating like tiny horses. Seffy's periscoping all over the place, being her typical wee noseache. She's acting as if she hasn't had a GA. Both buns were 'treated' to a manicure/pedicure as well, though I'm not sure they appreciate it!

She's been sent home with baytril, (cat) metacam (she's only a mini rex after all), and emeprid. Not sure if I'll use the emeprid at this time as she isn't acting as if she needs a gut stimulant right now. She hasn't stopped eating so I don't want to give drugs unnecessarily even if it has been prescribed. We're also seeing action out the other end too. :)

Their set-up ouside feels empty and wrong but I feel SO much better for having her (and Morph) home. :love:

It was nearly a year ago since I rescued her. Where has the time gone?!

...also Ajali cat is slightly miffed by the long-eared interlopers in his territory. The guinea pigs are fine and he likes chilling under their set-up. The rabbits however... ;)

Glad to hear that her Dental went well :D Did the Vet say why she has prescribed antibiotics ? I am just being curious !!

Glad to hear that her Dental went well :D Did the Vet say why she has prescribed antibiotics ? I am just being curious !!
I'm relieved to be this side of it now. I slept badly last night. :(

The vet who discharged her wasn't the vet who prescribed. I questioned it too as I've only had a post-op bun have abx post-op once. And that was Athena after abscess removal, so logical. The vet (the other exotic at the practice) said it was to prevent a potential bacterial infection after dealing with her teeth.

I know Persephone's teeth are atrocious. They are heavily stained (thanks to her diet prior to my rescuing her), and of course there were the spurs etc. Thankfully she didn't need any teeth removing though!

Glad I'm not the only one to find it curious though.

...and she still hasn't even thought about stopping eating. :lol: Neither has Morph and he's quite a shy/stressy bun at times (though he's never gone off his food either). I think both are happy to be home in the peace and quiet, even if they aren't home and in their set-up.

The vet who discharged her wasn't the vet who prescribed. I questioned it too as I've only had a post-op bun have abx post-op once. And that was Athena after abscess removal, so logical. The vet (the other exotic at the practice) said it was to prevent a potential bacterial infection after dealing with her teeth.

I know Persephone's teeth are atrocious
. They are heavily stained (thanks to her diet prior to my rescuing her), and of course there were the spurs etc. Thankfully she didn't need any teeth removing though!

...and she still hasn't even thought about stopping eating. :lol: Neither has Morph and he's quite a shy/stressy bun at times (though he's never gone off his food either). I think both are happy to be home in the peace and quiet, even if they aren't home and in their set-up.

That makes sense, thanks for explaining :) Sounds as though P's on a mission to make up for lost eating time ! :lol:

That makes sense, thanks for explaining :) Sounds as though P's on a mission to make up for lost eating time ! :lol:

No problem. Except I'm the one who has to give the baytril to her and rabbits and baytril don't mix!

...as for the eating, what else would you expect from a Greedy Rex? ;)

I know Persephone's teeth are atrocious. They are heavily stained (thanks to her diet prior to my rescuing her), and of course there were the spurs etc. Thankfully she didn't need any teeth removing though!

Sometimes during a dental under GA the inside of the rabbit's mouth can get nicked with their equipment. I've noticed that my vet sometimes gives antibiotics afterwards as a preventative against infection cos of the tear in mouth tissue :)

Sometimes during a dental under GA the inside of the rabbit's mouth can get nicked with their equipment. I've noticed that my vet sometimes gives antibiotics afterwards as a preventative against infection cos of the tear in mouth tissue :)

Ah that explains it much better. Thanks, MM. :thumb:

No problem. Except I'm the one who has to give the baytril to her and rabbits and baytril don't mix!

...as for the eating, what else would you expect from a Greedy Rex? ;)

Glad she's doing ok. I sometimes draw a tiny bit of ribena up into the syringe with the Baytril as they like the sweetness and so take it better. Well, for Parsley anyway, Bramble's a good girl and just takes it rather than doing the dribble out of the side of the mouth technique...

Sef's absolutely fine this morning. :) Acting like nothing untoward has happened. Eating like a trooper, sulking about being indoors still. She took the baytril ok but got stubborn over the metacam (maybe she thought it was the same thing!) She then ate a Fibafirst on my lap.

I'm not letting Sef and Morph back outside until evening though. I think it's going to be too hot to risk such a change in temperature.

She has a post-op check on Sunday at 10. (The options were either Sun or Tues due to the bank holiday.)

Good. Sounds as though she is recovering well :D I think that's sensible about keeping her in for today. It's very hot outside already.

Back