• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

underweight bunny?

palolabg

New Kit
Hello!

I'm a first time rabbit owner, got myself two mini lops, they're about the same age (5 weeks, got em a bit young I know) but one of them seems to be getting bigger a lot faster than the other! they both seem to eat ok and poop fairly regularly. I'm worried my second bunny might be underweight because he's so much smaller than the other, he is calmer than the other too, but he does play and is active.

How do I know if my bunny is too small for his age, and what can I do to help him gain weight if that's the case? Or is it possible they just grow at a different pace?, I'm really not sure what's the norm for mini lops

thanks!

It's probably best to go to a rabbit savvy vet to get them a health check- not because anything is necessarily wrong, but because it's good practice with any new pet! They will be able to weigh them and discuss any concerns and give tips on corrrect diet and care etc, mini pops am be prone to various issues so it would be good to ask about those so you can be aware of the signs (hopefully yours will be absolutely fine throughout thier lives, but rabbits like to panic is, and as rich in time saves nine!) A lot of vets (the one I work at does) do free new pet health checks, so may cost you nothing !

It's probably best to go to a rabbit savvy vet to get them a health check- not because anything is necessarily wrong, but because it's good practice with any new pet! They will be able to weigh them and discuss any concerns and give tips on corrrect diet and care etc, mini pops am be prone to various issues so it would be good to ask about those so you can be aware of the signs (hopefully yours will be absolutely fine throughout thier lives, but rabbits like to panic is, and as rich in time saves nine!) A lot of vets (the one I work at does) do free new pet health checks, so may cost you nothing !

thanks! I've been meaning to get em to a vet soon, I just have to check which vets near me treat rabbits, I do know they're considered exotics so I gotta check with a few places, they both seem pretty healthy regardless

Personally I'd have a vet check due to their age.
Also the fact that one seems calmer than the other, plus appears smaller has me a little worried.
If you post in the Rabbit Chat section a thread with the title "Rabbit Savvy vet needed in (insert where you live)"

Members of the forum can provide you recommendations for tried and tested practices.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A vet check is a good idea. Smaller is fine - rabbits come in different sizes but underweight (skinny) could mean there is an issue. Generally weight wise you want to just be able to feel the ribs so it's a bit like feeling them through a thick cloth, they shouldn't feel like a row of sticks with dips behind. Likewise the pelvis should have a bit of padding around it. As you have two you can compare so feel the ribs and back/pelvis on each - they should feel the same even if one is a different size to the other. It can be difficult to judge, particularly if you are new to bunnies but a vet will do a general health check and weigh them if you ask. Some vets even offer free weight checks with a nurse so that might be something to ask about.

Hi,

well, a runt in a litter does happen now and then, and it takes time for them to catch up, weaning that early sure didn't help.
Anyway - what are you feeding?
Offer kits always more than they can eat.
You can give plain kitchen oatmeal for some extra calories, it's ok for baby bunnies. Maybe dampen it somewhat at the start. Does he drink properly? Some kits are not so fast in figuring out how water bottles work when used to bowls.

Hi,

well, a runt in a litter does happen now and then, and it takes time for them to catch up, weaning that early sure didn't help.
Anyway - what are you feeding?
Offer kits always more than they can eat.
You can give plain kitchen oatmeal for some extra calories, it's ok for baby bunnies. Maybe dampen it somewhat at the start. Does he drink properly? Some kits are not so fast in figuring out how water bottles work when used to bowls.

I know :( If I had known 8 weeks was the standard age for getting a rabbit I sure would have waited, breeders here in Mexico dont seem to take the age into account, 4-5 weeks is standard here apparently.

I'm feeding them both pellets and hay at the moment, they feel a bit too young for greens, the breeder I got em from also recommended oats!
Problem is, my other bunny LOVES them so he munches them all up before the smaller can get em, I've been sitting with the smaller to feed him on my own instead, a small handful once a day, he does eat fairly well besides that, always finishes all the oats i give him, and drinks a lot too.

I will do a health check just in case, because they are very young and I know sometimes kits are prone to digestive issues, it took some digging but i finally found a vet that treats rabbits in my area

Back