• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lymphoma, steroids and end of life care

Debster

Mama Doe
Tomorrow it will be three months since Peaches had a CT scan that showed a large tumour in her chest. A week later the biopsy result confirmed lymphoma. Our vet estimated she had weeks rather than months due to the size of the tumour. She's been on steroid meds for around 8 weeks now and shes been amazingly well - you would honestly not know anything was wrong.

I've been wondering over the last day though if she's starting to become incontinent. She still seems well, very bright and lively. She has a check-up appointment next week and I'm a bit worried that the vet might say her breathing has changed, or that he doesn't want to give her any more of the steroid.

I know there's no miracle cure and she won't last forever, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience in lymphoma or steroid treatment, or any tips on how to keep her comfortable other than the medication she is on?

Thank you

Tomorrow it will be three months since Peaches had a CT scan that showed a large tumour in her chest. A week later the biopsy result confirmed lymphoma. Our vet estimated she had weeks rather than months due to the size of the tumour. She's been on steroid meds for around 8 weeks now and shes been amazingly well - you would honestly not know anything was wrong.

I've been wondering over the last day though if she's starting to become incontinent. She still seems well, very bright and lively. She has a check-up appointment next week and I'm a bit worried that the vet might say her breathing has changed, or that he doesn't want to give her any more of the steroid.

I know there's no miracle cure and she won't last forever, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience in lymphoma or steroid treatment, or any tips on how to keep her comfortable other than the medication she is on?

Thank you

I am sorry to hear about Peaches' lymphoma. I agree with you, she has done amazingly well to be still here three months later :)

How often does she have the steroid?

I found some articles, I don't know whether they will be of use to you:

http://rabbit.org/tumors-in-rabbits/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Lymphoma_cutaneous.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/MulticentricLymphomaRabbit.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Neoplasia_main.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thym/Thymoma_rab.htm

I nursed a rabbit with cancer recently, and gave him a good quality of life until he decided it was enough and took himself away peacefully. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a good report from the vet and more quality time with her :)

Thank you

I have had some Rabbits who received Steroid treatment for a Thymoma, though not a Lymphoma. The steroids certainly slowed the rate of growth of the tumour. On average the Rabbit was able to enjoy at least another 6 months of good quality life. But as you probably know, longterm corticosteroid use often has a negative impact on the liver. Steroids can also weaken the immune system, so bacterial infections can become an issue. In some cases my Rabbits were prescribed covering antibiotics. The fact that Peaches remains 'well within herself' is great news.

Given the location of Peaches tumour I am assuming it is a Thymic Lymphoma ?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Thymoma.htm

Last edited:
I'm sorry to read she has lymphoma.

I'm sorry I can't offer any info / advice as my only experience of this in an exotic pet is with ferrets.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have had some Rabbits who received Steroid treatment for a Thymoma, though not a Lymphoma. The steroids certainly slowed the rate of growth of the tumour. On average the Rabbit was able to enjoy at least another 6 months of good quality life. But as you probably know, longterm corticosteroid use often has a negative impact on the liver. Steroids can also weaken the immune system, so bacterial infections can become an issue. In some cases my Rabbits were prescribed covering antibiotics. The fact that Peaches remains 'well within herself' is great news.

Given the location of Peaches tumour I am assuming it is a Thymic Lymphoma ?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Thymoma.htm

Hi Jane, yes that's what she has. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to hear you had rabbits that benefited from steroids for so long, it helps to keep me feeling positive. I will discuss whether antibiotics will help her when I see our vet.

Hi Jane, yes that's what she has. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to hear you had rabbits that benefited from steroids for so long, it helps to keep me feeling positive. I will discuss whether antibiotics will help her when I see our vet.

Here's some info:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ioration-how-does-it-happen&highlight=THYMOMA

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?457950-Jaspers-Thymoma&highlight=thymoma

I hope all goes well for Peaches :)

Whilst my Rabbits had a Thymoma as opposed to a Thymic Lymphoma hopefully Peaches will still benefit from the effects of the Corticosteroid treatment for as long as possible. But as you know, Thymic Lymphoma does involve other organs so the progression of the disease will be different. Peaches is unaware of any of it though, as long as she feels OK within herself then as far as she is concerned all is well. Unfortunately it is you who has to do the 'knowing' and I understand how hard that can be x

I had a rabbit with either a lymphoma or thymoma and steroids helped him amazingly at the end. He didn't have long left when he started them, but was still so bright. I think he was on them only for 6-8 weeks. What seems to be key is to keep the rabits spirits up, so he got all his favourite things and lots of lovely surprises and all sorts. Positivity is key for any kind of issue. It's not a cure, but it will aid the immune system.

Also, for that bunny, at the end, he was still ok, but was more tired and wanted company. He was still bright and eating, but that was the moment I said enough was enough, and that was the right thing to do because he went so quickly. His body was just tired. There was no distress or anything with him (even though his breathing was awful).

Equally, I have used steroids as 'last chance saloon' with many rabbits and one stayed on them for a year before he arrived at his ending.

Steroids are the most amazing things when you use them at the right time, and find the right regime (I've always used daily oral prednicare, rather than injections).

Back