• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Full time free range

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So to those of you with full time free range bunnies, how did you do it?

We shut the girls in their bedroom at night but I want to try them free range tonight.

They free range all day we are at work so hopefully we shouldn't get too much damage. (Obviously I know they'll be more active overnight etc).

We have a rug they've taken to nibbling and pooing on... do I pick it up?
What about the sofa? (They've never chewed it)

Any tips? I'll keep to the normal night routine, but just won't shut their gate.
I may set up one of the cameras in the front room too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So to those of you with full time free range bunnies, how did you do it?

We shut the girls in their bedroom at night but I want to try them free range tonight.

They free range all day we are at work so hopefully we shouldn't get too much damage. (Obviously I know they'll be more active overnight etc).

We have a rug they've taken to nibbling and pooing on... do I pick it up?
What about the sofa? (They've never chewed it)

Any tips? I'll keep to the normal night routine, but just won't shut their gate.
I may set up one of the cameras in the front room too.

How sweet and how lovely :love:

Will await the report eagerly. My buns have always free ranged so they don't know what a cage/pen looks like :lol:

How sweet and how lovely :love:

Will await the report eagerly. My buns have always free ranged so they don't know what a cage/pen looks like [emoji38]
I should have added the pics of their room to remind people what they usually have at night.

It's 120sqft total with a baby gate on the door.
d30c017a0bfa61b84d6a80187df9b584.jpg

:lol:So this was obviously the telepathic messages the girls have been trying to get through to you ..& they've made you believe it was your idea ;)

I just leave mine to gad about & do what they will as you do with Daphne & Phoebe by day. I've always done it this way so don't really know any different but a few of my bunnies have opted to never or rarely use the stairs. In my experience a rabbit that destroys by day also destroys by night & the good bunnies don't get up to any more mischief than usual. However, yours are on a pre meditated mission. Objective one, thought control - check! I hate to think what you'll wake up to but I bet its impressive

[emoji38]So this was obviously the telepathic messages the girls have been trying to get through to you ..& they've made you believe it was your idea ;)

I just leave mine to gad about & do what they will as you do with Daphne & Phoebe by day. I've always done it this way so don't really know any different but a few of my bunnies have opted to never or rarely use the stairs. In my experience a rabbit that destroys by day also destroys by night & the good bunnies don't get up to any more mischief than usual. However, yours are on a pre meditated mission. Objective one, thought control - check! I hate to think what you'll wake up to but I bet its impressive
Your response had me and OH laughing so hard.
Brilliantly written.

Well I've just made a quick blanket for them which seems to have made Daphne happy.
Just to figure out Phoebe now... maybe a toy carrot if I get some pet safe stuffing.

I agree that behaviour during the day is indicative of that at night so, fingers crossed for you.....

But, BE WARNED, a rabbit jumping on your bed at 3 a.m. feels like an earthquake (well, given his size it did :lol: )

I agree that behaviour during the day is indicative of that at night so, fingers crossed for you.....

But, BE WARNED, a rabbit jumping on your bed at 3 a.m. feels like an earthquake (well, given his size it did [emoji38] )
My bedroom door will stay shut as we don't allow them access to the bedrooms. (I'd like a couple of fur free rooms lol)

Thanks for the reassurance that most buns are okay. Im more worried about all the stray poos lol

My bedroom door will stay shut as we don't allow them access to the bedrooms. (I'd like a couple of fur free rooms lol)

Thanks for the reassurance that most buns are okay. Im more worried about all the stray poos lol

The hoover will sort those out but there really shouldn't be many. :thumb:

But, BE WARNED, a rabbit jumping on your bed at 3 a.m. feels like an earthquake (well, given his size it did :lol: )

:lol:

My Max slept on my bed and I loved it :love:

We had to share our bedroom with all three bunnies for several months. Regularly I'd be woken by OH "you've got x bunny on your pillow / the rabbits are jumping on your head again" . I'm not sure what he wanted me to do about it - I didn't put them there. It was rarely the bunnies that woke me. Mind you, mine are tiny compared to the mighty Hector

It's lovely you're giving the girls full free range ❤️

Mine also have full free range 24/7 and everything stays exactly the same day and night. I've also found that they behave the same way at night as they do during the day. However early mornings is when they tend to be hyperactive. When I'm in bed I can hear them zooming around, jumping onto furniture and throwing their toys around. Chucking their baskets of readigrass all around the living room also appears to be a popular pastime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing I would love more than to snuggle up in bed with Hector ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Max slept on my bed and I loved it :love:

:love:

It only happened one night. It was absolutely lovely to fall asleep with him. He was stretched out along side me. It was when he got up in the middle of the night and wanted to play that was the issue. He got of the bed, then on it, then off, on, off, on etc. until I woke up to play too. It'd have been lovely if he'd just have slept!!

We had to share our bedroom with all three bunnies for several months. Regularly I'd be woken by OH "you've got x bunny on your pillow / the rabbits are jumping on your head again" . I'm not sure what he wanted me to do about it - I didn't put them there. It was rarely the bunnies that woke me. Mind you, mine are tiny compared to the mighty Hector

I suspect it is a size/weight issue!

I love reading about all your snuggly bunnies :)

I stayed up until almost 1:30am watching them on the camera.
We went to bed around 11:30pm.
They had their forage then snuggled down, but kept moving closer and closer to the open gate.

Around 12:30am Phoebe took the first steps past the imaginary line and went downstairs.
Daphne went down sometime after I fell asleep.

Both came back up around 3:30am when OH got home so I gave them some more forage and went to sleep.

OH has just gone downstairs and I don't hear any cries of damage.

6000c4cfba964a9771d33451f9d26ba8.jpg
2f1d0c555fb46db617ce59fb6edfb985.jpg

:love:

It only happened one night. It was absolutely lovely to fall asleep with him. He was stretched out along side me. It was when he got up in the middle of the night and wanted to play that was the issue. He got of the bed, then on it, then off, on, off, on etc. until I woke up to play too. It'd have been lovely if he'd just have slept!!

Max was very good, but he did wiggle the bed when he cleaned himself. I'm a light sleeper and it aways woke me up. And you know how often rabbits clean themselves :lol:

Just a heads up, I don't think it will be long before they want to come in your bedroom.. All of ours started off, nope they aren't going in the bedroom but when we used to go to bed, they used to dig at the door to come in!

So we thought we out smarted them by using cushions and pillows to baracade the door, but nope.. Think it was no more than 10 minutes to get through that barrier! Bailey used to go mad when digging at the door and as we haven't got the best of handles, the little turd would carry on until the door opened! And also use his teeth to push it complelty open!

Once in our room, they'd do a couple of bunny 500's as they were so pleased with themselves and sometimes jumped on the bed in excitement but after the novelty worn off they used to sleep either under or at the bottom of the bed... Until 4am, when the sun used to shine through so Shortly after purchased some black out blinds!! Best thing we've ever brought and gives us at least an extra hour! Lol! Xxx

I'm sure your girls will be great, but like you know they are far too smart for their own good! :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up but I find it doubtful.
They've lived here over a year & half and have never been allowed access to our room apart from once or twice when we forgot to shut the door but they've never really shown much interest in it.

They appear to have spent the night under their table in the front room. Didn't hear any hyper moments, nor did the camera catch anything.

Back