Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Strange doe behaviour?

  1. #1
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    30

    Default Strange doe behaviour?

    Hi all, I've had my french lop since December, she was born on October 3rd so she is 7 months old now.
    For the past two days she has been circling me, then when I walk around the room doing things she is literally at my heels, actign very strange from ehr normal behaviour?
    I hear this is common in un castrated males but she is a doe, she also made slight kind of honking snorting sounds when I turned the t.v down and listened very closely, it was VERY feint and hard to hear but was there.
    Is it her age? Hormones due to becoming sexually mature?
    She is my only rabbit so mayeb this would make sense as she is an only rabbit?
    She only sleeps in her cage at night, she has her own room to run aorund in in the day and at night/ whenever I'm not busys he chills in my room with me. Normally she has a good head scratch and then when she's content she will hop around the room, sleep, play with toys etc, so this behaviour of being at my heels when I'm walking then when I'm standing still circling me is very odd for her?
    Thanks all!
    Georgia.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoHiccup View Post
    Hi all, I've had my french lop since December, she was born on October 3rd so she is 7 months old now.
    For the past two days she has been circling me, then when I walk around the room doing things she is literally at my heels, actign very strange from ehr normal behaviour?
    I hear this is common in un castrated males but she is a doe, she also made slight kind of honking snorting sounds when I turned the t.v down and listened very closely, it was VERY feint and hard to hear but was there.
    Is it her age? Hormones due to becoming sexually mature?
    She is my only rabbit so mayeb this would make sense as she is an only rabbit?
    She only sleeps in her cage at night, she has her own room to run aorund in in the day and at night/ whenever I'm not busys he chills in my room with me. Normally she has a good head scratch and then when she's content she will hop around the room, sleep, play with toys etc, so this behaviour of being at my heels when I'm walking then when I'm standing still circling me is very odd for her?
    Thanks all!
    Georgia.
    The behaviour does sound to be hormonal. Whilst the 'buzzing' and circling is more common in entire Bucks some Does may also do it, especially as they hit puberty.

    I assume that you are 100% certain that you have a Doe ?

    Are you planning on neutering ?

  3. #3
    Warren Scout binkyCodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    UK, South-East
    Posts
    232

    Default

    to me that would sound like hormones yes. some bunnies even does run around feet as asking if you'll mate with them Luna did it before I got her spayed.

    the only time they circle my feet is in excitement as I have food or treats.. or a packet of something for me. but of course, bunnies, they think everything is theirs lol

  4. #4
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    The behaviour does sound to be hormonal. Whilst the 'buzzing' and circling is more common in entire Bucks some Does may also do it, especially as they hit puberty.

    I assume that you are 100% certain that you have a Doe ?

    Are you planning on neutering ?
    I plan to get her neutered yes I already have the pricing from my local vet, just checked now yes definitely a girl. Will this behaviour pass in a few months or only when I get her spayed?

  5. #5
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    to me that would sound like hormones yes. some bunnies even does run around feet as asking if you'll mate with them Luna did it before I got her spayed.

    the only time they circle my feet is in excitement as I have food or treats.. or a packet of something for me. but of course, bunnies, they think everything is theirs lol
    Ahhh maybe this will pass with time then She has always beben quite the diva and very excitable but never like this Thank you for your help

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    29,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoHiccup View Post
    Hi all, I've had my french lop since December, she was born on October 3rd so she is 7 months old now.
    For the past two days she has been circling me, then when I walk around the room doing things she is literally at my heels, actign very strange from ehr normal behaviour?
    I hear this is common in un castrated males but she is a doe, she also made slight kind of honking snorting sounds when I turned the t.v down and listened very closely, it was VERY feint and hard to hear but was there.
    Is it her age? Hormones due to becoming sexually mature?
    She is my only rabbit so mayeb this would make sense as she is an only rabbit?
    She only sleeps in her cage at night, she has her own room to run aorund in in the day and at night/ whenever I'm not busys he chills in my room with me. Normally she has a good head scratch and then when she's content she will hop around the room, sleep, play with toys etc, so this behaviour of being at my heels when I'm walking then when I'm standing still circling me is very odd for her?
    Thanks all!
    Georgia.

    Hi there

    Hormones due to sexual maturity I would say. If you get her spayed, this behaviour will probably settle down and disappear. With females it can take between 4 and 8 weeks for hormones to 'settle'.

    She is also claiming you for her own, so maybe you should be flattered

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Village in North Hampshire
    Posts
    21,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoHiccup View Post
    Ahhh maybe this will pass with time then She has always beben quite the diva and very excitable but never like this Thank you for your help
    It will take a few weeks after spaying for her hormones to settle. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet?

  8. #8
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi there

    Hormones due to sexual maturity I would say. If you get her spayed, this behaviour will probably settle down and disappear. With females it can take between 4 and 8 weeks for hormones to 'settle'.

    She is also claiming you for her own, so maybe you should be flattered
    Haha that sounds very sweet! She is my little bun
    Thanks for the help!

  9. #9
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    It will take a few weeks after spaying for her hormones to settle. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet?
    Yes I have a rabbit-savvy vet all lined up fortunately
    Thansk for your help!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •