• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange doe behaviour?

GeoHiccup

Young Bun
Hi all, I've had my french lop since December, she was born on October 3rd so she is 7 months old now.
For the past two days she has been circling me, then when I walk around the room doing things she is literally at my heels, actign very strange from ehr normal behaviour?
I hear this is common in un castrated males but she is a doe, she also made slight kind of honking snorting sounds when I turned the t.v down and listened very closely, it was VERY feint and hard to hear but was there.
Is it her age? Hormones due to becoming sexually mature?
She is my only rabbit so mayeb this would make sense as she is an only rabbit?
She only sleeps in her cage at night, she has her own room to run aorund in in the day and at night/ whenever I'm not busys he chills in my room with me. Normally she has a good head scratch and then when she's content she will hop around the room, sleep, play with toys etc, so this behaviour of being at my heels when I'm walking then when I'm standing still circling me is very odd for her?
Thanks all!
Georgia.

Hi all, I've had my french lop since December, she was born on October 3rd so she is 7 months old now.
For the past two days she has been circling me, then when I walk around the room doing things she is literally at my heels, actign very strange from ehr normal behaviour?
I hear this is common in un castrated males but she is a doe, she also made slight kind of honking snorting sounds when I turned the t.v down and listened very closely, it was VERY feint and hard to hear but was there.
She only sleeps in her cage at night, she has her own room to run aorund in in the day and at night/ whenever I'm not busys he chills in my room with me. Normally she has a good head scratch and then when she's content she will hop around the room, sleep, play with toys etc, so this behaviour of being at my heels when I'm walking then when I'm standing still circling me is very odd for her?
Thanks all!
Georgia.

The behaviour does sound to be hormonal. Whilst the 'buzzing' and circling is more common in entire Bucks some Does may also do it, especially as they hit puberty.

I assume that you are 100% certain that you have a Doe ?

Are you planning on neutering ?

to me that would sound like hormones yes. some bunnies even does run around feet as asking if you'll mate with them :lol: Luna did it before I got her spayed.

the only time they circle my feet is in excitement as I have food or treats.. or a packet of something for me. but of course, bunnies, they think everything is theirs lol

The behaviour does sound to be hormonal. Whilst the 'buzzing' and circling is more common in entire Bucks some Does may also do it, especially as they hit puberty.

I assume that you are 100% certain that you have a Doe ?

Are you planning on neutering ?

I plan to get her neutered yes :) I already have the pricing from my local vet, just checked now yes definitely a girl. Will this behaviour pass in a few months or only when I get her spayed? :)

to me that would sound like hormones yes. some bunnies even does run around feet as asking if you'll mate with them :lol: Luna did it before I got her spayed.

the only time they circle my feet is in excitement as I have food or treats.. or a packet of something for me. but of course, bunnies, they think everything is theirs lol

Ahhh maybe this will pass with time then :D She has always beben quite the diva and very excitable but never like this :D Thank you for your help :)

Thanks all!
Georgia.

Hi there :)

Hormones due to sexual maturity I would say. If you get her spayed, this behaviour will probably settle down and disappear. With females it can take between 4 and 8 weeks for hormones to 'settle'.

She is also claiming you for her own, so maybe you should be flattered :)

Ahhh maybe this will pass with time then :D She has always beben quite the diva and very excitable but never like this :D Thank you for your help :)

It will take a few weeks after spaying for her hormones to settle. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet?

Hi there :)

Hormones due to sexual maturity I would say. If you get her spayed, this behaviour will probably settle down and disappear. With females it can take between 4 and 8 weeks for hormones to 'settle'.

She is also claiming you for her own, so maybe you should be flattered :)

Haha that sounds very sweet! She is my little bun ;)
Thanks for the help! :)

Back