• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bug is having a dental - what should I expect?

Fellie

Warren Veteran
My wee Lady Bug has been admitted rather suddenly for a dental. She wasn't eating last night and it seemed like stasis to me then, so gave her some metacam and she was much better when we went to bed and nibbling on hay.

This morning she is her normal self - begging for food etc, but she was having trouble eating so that got me thinking it's her teeth.

Took her to the vets, and Mark took a very quick look in her mouth and yes, she has got spurs so she went in for a dental.

This is my first dental experience. What should I expect when she gets home? I'm guessing I'll have to feed her critical care etc - which I am dreading as she is a nightmare to get anything syringed into her. Hubby was practically lying on top of her last night whilst I quickly got metacam into mouth.

My wee Lady Bug has been admitted rather suddenly for a dental. She wasn't eating last night and it seemed like stasis to me then, so gave her some metacam and she was much better when we went to bed and nibbling on hay.

This morning she is her normal self - begging for food etc, but she was having trouble eating so that got me thinking it's her teeth.

Took her to the vets, and Mark took a very quick look in her mouth and yes, she has got spurs so she went in for a dental.

This is my first dental experience. What should I expect when she gets home? I'm guessing I'll have to feed her critical care etc - which I am dreading as she is a nightmare to get anything syringed into her. Hubby was practically lying on top of her last night whilst I quickly got metacam into mouth.

She may not need syring feeding. If the spurs have not caused any soft tissue damage then once they have gone her mouth will feel much more comfortable. If she has soft tissue damage she may need syringe feeding for a couple of days, aswell as Metacam and possibly prokineics to keep her GI tract ticking over.

I expect Mark will want her eating a bit for herself and pooing before discharging her. Sending her lots of vibes xx

Oh Fellie, I'm sorry n- you've enough on your plate!

She may not necessarily need syringe feeding. It's the coming round from the sedation/anaesthetic that requires the recovering from and perhaps giving a bit of helping hand.

If there's no damage to the inside of the mouth, it's all the better. Sometimes vets give antibiotics to cover against any infection from a nick in the cheek, and of course getting Baytril into her will be a nightmare!

I hope she just comes round well and that the spur wasn't too damaging - vibes for you both xx

oh no :( dentals aren't fun!

as others have said, syringe feeding may not be needed. i have one bun who if i place the critical care in a bowl he laps it up. then again, i am a bit naughty and add some sugar ;) if anything when mine have surgery of any kind, just to get them eating i offer them all the good bits. veggies, a few pellets, treats. anything inside of them to get theirgut going would be good.

while tissue damage may not have happened, sometimes the whole procedure can leave their mouth a tad sore. as you can imagine its open for a while causing a slight ache.

if she refuses to eat overnight, you'll need to head to the vet ASAP likely for some pain medicine and an injection to get her guts moving. had to do that a few times with mine and he bounced back after that.

i hope it all goes okay!

Back