• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing a sofa.

Bella123

New Kit
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and am currently doing my research into rabbits as I would like two in the future.

I have already searched on the forum for bunny proofing a sofa however there isn't much information on the subject, well what I would like to know anyways.

I have the following questions concerning bunny proofing sofa,

What would be the best way to cover a sofa, for example making covers for the cushions, base and seating areas - what material is the most tough?

What material would be best to buy a new sofa in - leather? fabric? faux leather?

How do you lot bunny proof your sofas and chairs?

Thanks in advance

When Monty first joined us he used the sofa as a litter tray a lot (think several times a day). The easiest option I found was just to dig out an old single duvet we had lying around, buy a couple of cheap duvet covers (our local Wilkinsons had a set for £5.50) and throw that over the sofa (fabric sofa, if it helps). Then I just had to change the duvet covers over every few days, wash them, and back on again - and in the meantime, we could bundle the duvet up and onto the floor whenever we wanted to use a clean, dry sofa. I think we got slightly lucky in that our sofa is one of those with a fringe of fabric that hides the legs and gap to the floor, but Monty has never shown any inclination to chew at it - unlike everything else in the room - but the duvet worked just fine until he calmed down and started using his litter tray, and no other problems so far. He will dig at it occasionally, but he's never managed to do any damage that way - although if I was worried, I could just put the duvet over it again :D I'm not going to be heartbroken if he ruins the duvet cover.

I think if they are a confirmed chewer then they will chew whatever fabric it is im afraid. My bridge house bunny chewed things like wallpaper, but not wooden furniture, but even he had a nibble of the leather settee! I think the only way to bunny proof a sofa or bed is to keep them away from them when you aren't with them, you could use puppy panels maybe?

Best way to bunny proof it would be to block all access to it.

If you're just worried about the occasional accident, I'd personally go for a fabric one and cover it with a shower curtain or similar when out of the house to protect the fabric underneath.

I don't think having fabric or leather would be better either way, but bunny claws could scratch the leather when jumping up/down.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When Monty first joined us he used the sofa as a litter tray a lot (think several times a day). The easiest option I found was just to dig out an old single duvet we had lying around, buy a couple of cheap duvet covers (our local Wilkinsons had a set for £5.50) and throw that over the sofa (fabric sofa, if it helps). Then I just had to change the duvet covers over every few days, wash them, and back on again - and in the meantime, we could bundle the duvet up and onto the floor whenever we wanted to use a clean, dry sofa. I think we got slightly lucky in that our sofa is one of those with a fringe of fabric that hides the legs and gap to the floor, but Monty has never shown any inclination to chew at it - unlike everything else in the room - but the duvet worked just fine until he calmed down and started using his litter tray, and no other problems so far. He will dig at it occasionally, but he's never managed to do any damage that way - although if I was worried, I could just put the duvet over it again :D I'm not going to be heartbroken if he ruins the duvet cover.

Wow, you're very clever to get him *not* to use the sofa as a litter tray once he's had a go at it ...
Well done you!

Welcome to the Forum Bella :wave:

Wow, you're very clever to get him *not* to use the sofa as a litter tray once he's had a go at it ...
Well done you!

Thank you :D We were very mean - whenever we were in the room, if he hopped up onto the sofa one of us would sit down and promptly start showering him with love - stroking, cuddling, cheek rubs, kissing, everything. If there's one thing Monty hates, it's affection; he quickly decided that getting to claim the sofa as his own wasn't worth that amount of being smooched and moved into his own litter tray.

Back