• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aspiration help!

neseraht30

New Kit
My bunny Hershey is going through GI statis, after I gave her some critical care mix in a syringe I tried to give her some water in the syringe, it had a bit of the critical care still in there.
she tilted her head and I believe she inhaled it and it went down the wrong pipe. she did a bit of cough. she seems OK now, and I called my vet who said to monitor her over the next 24 hours and after that I can do an x-ray to confirm.
has anyone experienced this? I'm very concerned. How common is pneumonia with aspiration?

My bunny Hershey is going through GI statis, after I gave her some critical care mix in a syringe I tried to give her some water in the syringe, it had a bit of the critical care still in there.
she tilted her head and I believe she inhaled it and it went down the wrong pipe. she did a bit of cough. she seems OK now, and I called my vet who said to monitor her over the next 24 hours and after that I can do an x-ray to confirm.
has anyone experienced this? I'm very concerned. How common is pneumonia with aspiration?

Aspiration pneumonia can happen in circumstances such as you describe, but it does not always happen. I would definitely get your Vet to examine your Rabbit within the next 24 hours as the Vet may decide that it is necessary to start her on antibiotics. Aspiration pneumonia can respond to treatment if it is addressed promptly. I hope that your Rabbit will recover well x

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about Hershey.

I wouldn't worry about it - your vet is quite correct, to monitor and then X-ray if necessary. As you are worried, why not take her in and get her checked up as it's coming to the weekend? You don't want the out of hours vet, who may not know a lot about rabbits.

Good luck xx

Back