• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best way to separate my baby rabbits

Rabbitnovice

Young Bun
Hi, my two baby rabbits are brother and sister. They live together at the moment (soon to be split as we don't want babies).
I am going to separate them at the weekend until after my boy is neutered and has recovered. I have two choices...
1. Keep both in the utility room but have him in the play pen bit. That way they can still see each other and can interact through the bars.
2. I can put my girl in the outside cage (with run) and keep the boy in the utility where they live together at the moment.

If they are only apart whilst he's at the vet and then can both stay in the same room (but separate) will that mean they will stay best friends and not fall out or is the day at the vets enough to cause them to forget each other?

Would it be meaner to keep them together but unable to snuggle up, or to have them lonely with one outside?
Please help xx

I would leave them inside were they can still see each other, at least they will be able to see each other, they would be wondering were the other bun had disappeared too are you not getting your girlie spayed at the same time?

Hi, my two baby rabbits are brother and sister. They live together at the moment (soon to be split as we don't want babies).
I am going to separate them at the weekend until after my boy is neutered and has recovered. I have two choices...
1. Keep both in the utility room but have him in the play pen bit. That way they can still see each other and can interact through the bars.
2. I can put my girl in the outside cage (with run) and keep the boy in the utility where they live together at the moment.

If they are only apart whilst he's at the vet and then can both stay in the same room (but separate) will that mean they will stay best friends and not fall out or is the day at the vets enough to cause them to forget each other?

Would it be meaner to keep them together but unable to snuggle up, or to have them lonely with one outside?
Please help xx

How old are they at the moment?
When is your male booked in for?

Personally I'd try to keep them side by side, but rabbits have been known to mate through bars so I'd have a gap between their individual sections.

The other option is to rotate them or their litter trays so they can keep each others scent.

Hopefully this'll bump your post and others will also comment with suggestions/info.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for replying. They're nearly 11 weeks. The vet said to do the boy at around 12 and to wait til the girl is 4 or 5 months. Although when I called the other day the nurse said we could think about leaving the girl as it's a bigger op and if she can't get pregnant anyway it may not be worth putting her through it. Think we still will though.
I went to Pets at Home for hay yesterday and the lady in there said don't bother splitting them as we're risking them falling out!
So many opinions it's very confusing x

I they're doing the male at 12 weeks, personally I'd be tempted to leave them together but keep a very close eye for the males "friends".

As you seem particularly worried, I would use puppy pens to split their indoor accommodation so they have an equal amount of space and have them live side by side until 6 weeks after he's been neutered.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back