Thread: Contaminated hay anybody?

Alpha Buck

Default Contaminated hay anybody?

I am reluctant to name the supplier at the moment, but before I get involved in complaining to them, I wondered if anybody has had a problem with an online supplier of hay?

I have had 2 bales delivered, a small portion of which is contaminated with a fuel like smell.

Anybody else had a problem?

Alpha Buck

I remember someone had issues last year with a batch of hay that smelt of diesel. A quick search found the following
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...e-smelling-hay

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Mama Doe

Get in touch with the supplier, explain the situation and ask them to swap the bales for new ones ASAP?

If they are not 'fit for purpose', the supplier needs to know - there may be more in the batch and other customers (and their animals) potentially affected. Things like this will happen occasionally and a good supplier won't quibble. There are also things like the regs for selling things online and return periods.

I would ask for a swap rather than replacement - it means they have the original contaminated goods back for examination - and you don't have to dispose of 2 bales.

Alpha Buck

The supplier is baffled how this could have happened other than the carrier might have spilled something on it. However, I didn't smell it on the packaging.

It is delivered to a garage (our business) but we don't sell, store or carry fuel. The hay is put straight into our vechicle for home time. But I just get a sense he thinks the contamination has occurred our end. If it had, we would have put it down to experience, certainly not pursued the supplier!

In any case he has agreed to replace (doesn't want the contaminated hay back) but I do suspect he thinks he is doing me a favour! I have bought this hay for years so was hoping he respects my honesty!

No other reports, so seemingly a one off thankfully