• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wonky Face?

Sharpie

Warren Scout
OK So for the last month I've noticed Lulu's face is wonky?
Like some days it looks normal, then the next day it's wonky.. Then it'll be fine again?
I've felt around her face and can't feel any lumps or bumps.
She's eating normally & playing normally.
Can rabbits pull faces?

This is a photo I took yesterday.
Looking at her, the left side of her face is the normal side, the right is the one that changes..
Any ideas?
Or am I just paranoid?

Like some days it looks normal, then the next day it's wonky.. Then it'll be fine again?
Can rabbits pull faces?

Looking at her, the left side of her face is the normal side, the right is the one that changes..
Any ideas?
Or am I just paranoid?

Unfortunately the symptom is often a sign of an ear infection, especially in Lops. The infection damages the facial nerves. As happened with one of my Rabbits

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/facial.htm

Just been out there with them, From underneath it looks even, and from above it's purely when you see her face on.

Oh no! Will she be ok? Does it affect their lives?

Just been out there with them, From underneath it looks even, and from above it's purely when you see her face on.

Oh no! Will she be ok? Does it affect their lives?

Bernie (my Rabbit) coped perfectly well but she did need ongoing Veterinary treatment. I would get a Rabbit Savvy Vet to take a look at your Rabbit as at the moment you dont know exactly what the problem is. Middle ear problems cannot always be diagnosed just by looking into the ears, sometimes skull radiographs/CT scans are needed. Once the Vet has established a diagnosis then he/she can prescribe any treatment deemed to be necessary :)

ETA- This thread may be useful for you to read:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...sy-UD-Abscess-returned-(&highlight=wonky+face

Last edited:
Can rabbits pull faces?

Any ideas?
Or am I just paranoid?

Hi Sharpie :wave:

Your rabbits causing trouble again! :roll:

Sorry to hear this. In my experience it could be something like an ear infection or an abscess - sometimes abscesses on the side of the face/base of the ear can make this happen. It's odd it kind of comes and goes, so I wouldn't stress until you've had a vet look at it.

The vet may decide to take a head X-ray if there's a suspicion of ear infection, as it's not always visible from the outside looking in.

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/neurological/c_rb_facial_nerve_paresis_paralysis

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323444-Drooping-Face

A good course of antibiotics may be all that's needed.

Good luck xx

Hi Sharpie :wave:

Your rabbits causing trouble again! :roll:

Sorry to hear this. In my experience it could be something like an ear infection or an abscess - sometimes abscesses on the side of the face/base of the ear can make this happen. It's odd it kind of comes and goes, so I wouldn't stress until you've had a vet look at it.

The vet may decide to take a head X-ray if there's a suspicion of ear infection, as it's not always visible from the outside looking in.

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/neurological/c_rb_facial_nerve_paresis_paralysis

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?323444-Drooping-Face

A good course of antibiotics may be all that's needed.

Good luck xx

Yep! The monsters are at it again! xD

My boys are still being good though! had no issues with them, just seems the girls like to kick up a fuss every now and then lol!

Yeh it's odd, one day she'll look completely normal, then maybe that afternoon i'll notice a slight lift to her face, thats what made me think she was pulling faces haha!

Atm money is so tight, i think i'll monitor her and if i notice it's staying wonky i'll rush her in, but atm i just can't afford the bills and i dont even know if it's anything at all.

I'll keep you guys updated though!

Yep! The monsters are at it again! xD

My boys are still being good though! had no issues with them, just seems the girls like to kick up a fuss every now and then lol!

Yeh it's odd, one day she'll look completely normal, then maybe that afternoon i'll notice a slight lift to her face, thats what made me think she was pulling faces haha!

Atm money is so tight, i think i'll monitor her and if i notice it's staying wonky i'll rush her in, but atm i just can't afford the bills and i dont even know if it's anything at all.

I'll keep you guys updated though!

Yeah, I agree it's hard to know when to jump with these buns sometimes!

Also, you're in the middle of moving - can't be easy finding extra cash for vet visits at the moment.

I hope she stays well though :)

Yeah, I agree it's hard to know when to jump with these buns sometimes!

Also, you're in the middle of moving - can't be easy finding extra cash for vet visits at the moment.

I hope she stays well though :)

Tell me about it!
Whats worse is i'm having to squirrel away money to fix the shed my dad got my bunnies as their new home, as there's a few broken panels and the floor is rotten in one corner.. and then! It's my sisters, brothers and niece and nephews birthdays this month -_-

And then yesterday evening when i was cleaning the fluffs bot bots the bloody bottle brush broke (2nd one thats broken) so im now on the hunt for a better one xD

Tell me about it!
Whats worse is i'm having to squirrel away money to fix the shed my dad got my bunnies as their new home, as there's a few broken panels and the floor is rotten in one corner.. and then! It's my sisters, brothers and niece and nephews birthdays this month -_-

And then yesterday evening when i was cleaning the fluffs bot bots the bloody bottle brush broke (2nd one thats broken) so im now on the hunt for a better one xD

Too many birthdays!

Good bottle brushes are hard to find. I've bought them and they don't even go inside the bottle :shock:

Back