• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you tell if a female is neutered?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I'm a foster carer for an animal charity and have a rabbit called Maisie at the moment. We were told she was neutered but I'm not sure. Is there a way to know, apart from having an operation? Can they have an ultrasound?
She has a few behavioural characteristics that make me question it. She's been put with a neutered male which resulted in a bad fight with blood/injuries, I know this isn't unusual but with the other behaviour I think it's important. She was in a run side by side with my rabbits yesterday who were in another run, my male started racing and binkying and Maisie started strutting alongside with her tail straight in the air and I could see her genitals were red, but my neutered female was running with her tail just normal. She has this strange binky sometimes where she shivers the length of her body and thumps. She is very energetic and active and rarely calms down enough to lie down. She is territorial of her cage (again this is also normal-ish, but with the other things...). And to be honest I just get a feeling, I think she would fight or defend straight away when she was put with another rabbit, I just have a feeling about her. She's a happy rabbit though, just a bit 'wired'!
The charity were told she was neutered but say it's happened before that they've had an animal handed in and said to be neutered when they aren't.
Thanks in advance for any input :)

I'm a foster carer for an animal charity and have a rabbit called Maisie at the moment. We were told she was neutered but I'm not sure. Is there a way to know, apart from having an operation? Can they have an ultrasound?
She has a few behavioural characteristics that make me question it. She's been put with a neutered male which resulted in a bad fight with blood/injuries, I know this isn't unusual but with the other behaviour I think it's important. She was in a run side by side with my rabbits yesterday who were in another run, my male started racing and binkying and Maisie started strutting alongside with her tail straight in the air and I could see her genitals were red, but my neutered female was running with her tail just normal. She has this strange binky sometimes where she shivers the length of her body and thumps. She is very energetic and active and rarely calms down enough to lie down. She is territorial of her cage (again this is also normal-ish, but with the other things...). And to be honest I just get a feeling, I think she would fight or defend straight away when she was put with another rabbit, I just have a feeling about her. She's a happy rabbit though, just a bit 'wired'!
The charity were told she was neutered but say it's happened before that they've had an animal handed in and said to be neutered when they aren't.

An U/S may be useful :)

Yes she can have an ultrasound :D

A vet can shave the tummy and look for a spay scar. However, with some stitching techniques, there is no scar whatsoever. The chances are, from what you've described, that she isn't spayed.

Good luck with finding out :D

Thanks both :) I think they are going to get her checked out. I hope we are right and she doesn't go through it all for nothing! Thanks again.

Back