• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No changeover food.

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We've just taken on a new bun, but the previous owner said they didn't have any change over food to give us. We don't know if they just didn't want to or had run out or not been giving it at all.

Either way, I'm just wondering if we will be ok to start him on tiny amounts of the food we have and gradually increase? I'm thinking there's probably not much else we can do.

He appears to absolutely love hay and has been motoring through it since we brought him home x

I'd do what you said - start on small amounts of things, then give larger portions and more variety over time. Most of the time, I've been fine with changeovers, even over a shortish timeframe (eg, a week) when I've had no idea on previous diets.

Hi all,

We've just taken on a new bun, but the previous owner said they didn't have any change over food to give us. We don't know if they just didn't want to or had run out or not been giving it at all.

Either way, I'm just wondering if we will be ok to start him on tiny amounts of the food we have and gradually increase? I'm thinking there's probably not much else we can do.

He appears to absolutely love hay and has been motoring through it since we brought him home x

Yes you have no choice really!

This happens all the time with our Rescues and strays etc. We've no idea what they've been fed, and rarely if ever does it upset them to be given different food :)

Well done for taking on a new bun! I caught a glimpse of your other thread - must go and read more thoroughly now :D

I agree with other comments. You've really got no choice and I think it will be fine anyway. The fact he's eating lots of hay will help to neutralise any effect from different food, especially if you make the new food a small part of his diet.

Yeah pretty obvious really lol.

We've started him on Science Selective and increasing it really slowly. He loves it and all the veg we have tried him with, as well as loving the hay, so he's doing really well. His poos look perfect :) x

Yeah pretty obvious really lol.

We've started him on Science Selective and increasing it really slowly. He loves it and all the veg we have tried him with, as well as loving the hay, so he's doing really well. His poos look perfect :) x

I've taken on several rescue buns recently and found the same - they absolutely love the food I serve and the poos are exemplary :)

Back