Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not cleaning himself

Hi
    First off, I would definetely go to the vet, even if it is just for a check up.

I would reduce the pellets as it seems like they are getting a little too much... Possibly slowly reduce it to about an egg cup each a day. Too many pellets can lead to obesity which may be why the rabbit struggles to reach certain areas; purely down to fat rolls

A vet will be able to tell you whether the bun is overweight and suggest a diet based on the situation.

Instead of carrots/ apples- which are high in sugar and as a result have been known to cause loose waste, try feeding herbs and vegetables such as basil, parsley, corriander etc.

For the bum area you could try giving them a bum bath: fill a shallow container with lukewarm water and slowly lower their rear end in. You can use your hands to gently remove the poop from the fur.

In terms of flies, I too use a fly repellent for rabbits. Ensure the rabbits aren't kept near bins or waste and their litter trays are not left unemptied for over 2 days (maximum) as these can attract flies. Rosmary, lavender and other strong scented plants are often used to repel flies and keep your bunnies safe.

I hope this is helpful

Thank you, he's been to the vets. He's been eating the protexin and I'm just waiting on the new pellets and hay to arrive. This morning I bought some new veg for them to try, I bought broccoli, butternut squash and bell pepper and I'm going to buy some herbs in the next couple of days. Is this good to start with? He's tried all of these before but is it ok to feed regularly? I haven't needed to clean him up in 3 days but it does tend to come and go so I'll keep a close eye on him

Archie - born October 2010
    Izzy - born July 2009

He's been having the protexin since Saturday and these past few days I've been giving him the better vegetables (which he has tried before but will now be having more regularly instead of the old ones which weren't as good) no fruit and lots more hay. This morning I found some uneaten caecotrophs in his hutch, should I be expecting him to be eating these now or is it still too soon? I'm worried I'm not getting this right

Izzy - born July 2009

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    He's been having the protexin since Saturday and these past few days I've been giving him the better vegetables (which he has tried before but will now be having more regularly instead of the old ones which weren't as good) no fruit and lots more hay. This morning I found some uneaten caecotrophs in his hutch, should I be expecting him to be eating these now or is it still too soon? I'm worried I'm not getting this right
    It may take quite a bit more time before a real improvement is seen. If nothing changes over the next 10-14 days I would get him examined by the Vet (I assume this has not yet happened ?).

Personally I'd have started off with cutting out all veg for 48 hours and then reintroducing it in small portions and only one type at a time. Although I'd prefer to feed fresh herbs rather than any type of veg, at first at least. Herbs tend to be more gentle on the digestive system. Fresh brambles would be good too, if you can locate a safe source of them.

He went to the vets last week, she's suggested the protexin and said if there's no improvement in a month then she'd like him back and perhaps try some metacam as she said arthritis could possibly be an issue. Would you suggest just feeding herbs and forgetting veg altogether permanently? I have gradually been decreasing his pellets and topping up his hay more often to try and encourage him to eat it and his poos are more golden so that's a good sign

Izzy - born July 2009

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    He went to the vets last week, she's suggested the protexin and said if there's no improvement in a month then she'd like him back and perhaps try some metacam as she said arthritis could possibly be an issue. Would you suggest just feeding herbs and forgetting veg altogether permanently? I have gradually been decreasing his pellets and topping up his hay more often to try and encourage him to eat it and his poos are more golden so that's a good sign
    I would try just herbs for now. Also, you need to weigh him regularly. You do not want him to loose too much weight or loose weight too quickly. He also needs a variety of hay types. I think you may already be feeding a variety though ?