• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not cleaning himself

Alicia

Mama Doe
Joey has never been very good at cleaning himself, I've had him for about 4 years and he's never really cleaned his back end much. It's not terrible but it seems like he almost constantly has some mess around his bum, some of it is loose and some of it is just normal that's got stuck in his fur. I've tried cutting the hair short around his bum but it doesn't seem to make a difference so now he's having almost daily bum baths, which I don't mind doing but I'm still worried about fly strike especially as the weather gets warmer. I bought fly free and use that on him too. I've never taken him to the vets because I'm not sure there's anything they would be able to do about this. He's quite old now (around 8/9 I believe) but he's always been like this. He's not overweight. Him and Izzy share 3 small handfuls of pellets a day, they have unlimited hay and also access to grass as well as veg/fruit in the morning which is normally a mixture of apple, carrot, celery, cucumber, baby corn and kale varied throughout the week. They don't have all that every day. Can anyone offer any advice? Would the vets be able to do anything?

Joey has never been very good at cleaning himself, I've had him for about 4 years and he's never really cleaned his back end much. It's not terrible but it seems like he almost constantly has some mess around his bum, some of it is loose and some of it is just normal that's got stuck in his fur. I've tried cutting the hair short around his bum but it doesn't seem to make a difference so now he's having almost daily bum baths, which I don't mind doing but I'm still worried about fly strike especially as the weather gets warmer. I bought fly free and use that on him too. I've never taken him to the vets because I'm not sure there's anything they would be able to do about this. He's quite old now (around 8/9 I believe) but he's always been like this. He's not overweight. Him and Izzy share 3 small handfuls of pellets a day, they have unlimited hay and also access to grass as well as veg/fruit in the morning which is normally a mixture of apple, carrot, celery, cucumber, baby corn and kale varied throughout the week. They don't have all that every day. Can anyone offer any advice? Would the vets be able to do anything?

Even though the problem is not 'new' as such I would still start with getting him thoroughly checked over by a Rabbit Savvy Vet. There are several possible causes for a mucky bum, although diet tends to be a major contributory factor.

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.shtml

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CaecotrophAccumRabbit.htm

I'd also get him weighed to have a baseline weight to work from. If the Vet gives him a clean bill of health I'd make some dietary adjustments. I'd cut out all fruit and carrots. You say they have 'unlimited hay' but does Joey actually eat A LOT of it ? If he fills up on pellets/fruit/veg then he probably only nibbles at hay. This alone can lead to a chronic 'mucky bum' problem.

What pellets do you feed ? Many Rabbits seem to get a mucky bum when fed Excel Pellets. Personally I prefer my Rabbits to be on a pellet free diet. But this needs to be done carefully and it is not always suitable for every Rabbit. It is always best to discuss the situation with a RS Vet. A suggestion of a diet plan here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

It's definitely worth getting him checked out - weight, teeth, ears, general mobility, etc. As Jane says, it will give a baseline to work from, and you can get advice on diet and other possible issues eg arthritis. Fly strike is an awful thing to happen and can be very quick (ie hours in warm weather) - so it's definitely worth getting professional advice to see if there's anything else you can try. It could make things easier for you as well if you no longer need to do the bum baths.

Thank you for the replies I have booked a vets appointment for 4.50 today. I've checked him this morning and he's still clean from last night but this is an ongoing issue so I'll get him checked anyway. He was on burgess excel he's now on tesco as work was making it hard to get to the shop during the day, very bad organization on my part. Would anyone be able to recommend good food (pellets and veg/fruit) for him. I can order online. I don't know how much hay he's eating I know I feed more pellets than the recommended amount but they're quite old and I worry they'll get hungry - they're very good at acting starved!

Thank you for the replies I have booked a vets appointment for 4.50 today. I've checked him this morning and he's still clean from last night but this is an ongoing issue so I'll get him checked anyway. He was on burgess excel he's now on tesco as work was making it hard to get to the shop during the day, very bad organization on my part. Would anyone be able to recommend good food (pellets and veg/fruit) for him. I can order online. I don't know how much hay he's eating I know I feed more pellets than the recommended amount but they're quite old and I worry they'll get hungry - they're very good at acting starved!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'd cut out feeding fruit for now. Do take a look at the diet plan link I posted previously too

Online supplies:

https://www.petmeds.co.uk/Vetcare-Plus-Digestive-Health-Formula/p/I9081969

https://www.petmeds.co.uk/Fibafirst-Rabbit/p/I0040408

https://www.petmeds.co.uk/Oxbow-Bun...ealDNa2tigiCf_rmyoWXhG8vbA2TdFHOsyRoCzTfw_wcB

https://galensgarden.co.uk/product-category/herbs-forage/

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301239

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301187

Sorry Jane, I don't think I was fully awake this morning when I checked this thread, I'll have a look through those links now. The vet said possibly arthritis, but she wants me to give him protexin profibre on his pellets to begin with and if that doesn't work she is going to give metacam. She also mentioned rearguard but I have this johnsons fly free thing which I think does a similar job although when that runs out I'll try rearguard as it seems to be more popular so hopefully it's better. I'm going to buy protexin profibre online now

I've ordered the protexin and some new high fibre food and also a big bag of Timothy hay from hay and straw. I'm going to cut out the fruit and see how all this goes. Fingers crossed this will make a difference :)
I've also used the diet plan to make a shopping list for some new veg for Joey

The protexin arrived today so I mixed some in with the rabbits food, they've eaten around it. They're not stupid are they :roll: :lol: I have left it there in the hope they might come back to it but if they don't is there any other way to try and get them to eat it? I've got a big tub of the stuff! The guinea pig loves it which is great but she doesn't need it really, whereas Joey does!

Hi :)
First off, I would definetely go to the vet, even if it is just for a check up.

I would reduce the pellets as it seems like they are getting a little too much... Possibly slowly reduce it to about an egg cup each a day. Too many pellets can lead to obesity which may be why the rabbit struggles to reach certain areas; purely down to fat rolls :)

A vet will be able to tell you whether the bun is overweight and suggest a diet based on the situation.

Instead of carrots/ apples- which are high in sugar and as a result have been known to cause loose waste, try feeding herbs and vegetables such as basil, parsley, corriander etc.

For the bum area ;) you could try giving them a bum bath: fill a shallow container with lukewarm water and slowly lower their rear end in. You can use your hands to gently remove the poop from the fur.

In terms of flies, I too use a fly repellent for rabbits. Ensure the rabbits aren't kept near bins or waste and their litter trays are not left unemptied for over 2 days (maximum) as these can attract flies. Rosmary, lavender and other strong scented plants are often used to repel flies and keep your bunnies safe.

I hope this is helpful :)

Thank you, he's been to the vets. He's been eating the protexin and I'm just waiting on the new pellets and hay to arrive. This morning I bought some new veg for them to try, I bought broccoli, butternut squash and bell pepper and I'm going to buy some herbs in the next couple of days. Is this good to start with? He's tried all of these before but is it ok to feed regularly? I haven't needed to clean him up in 3 days but it does tend to come and go so I'll keep a close eye on him

He's been having the protexin since Saturday and these past few days I've been giving him the better vegetables (which he has tried before but will now be having more regularly instead of the old ones which weren't as good) no fruit and lots more hay. This morning I found some uneaten caecotrophs in his hutch, should I be expecting him to be eating these now or is it still too soon? I'm worried I'm not getting this right

He's been having the protexin since Saturday and these past few days I've been giving him the better vegetables (which he has tried before but will now be having more regularly instead of the old ones which weren't as good) no fruit and lots more hay. This morning I found some uneaten caecotrophs in his hutch, should I be expecting him to be eating these now or is it still too soon? I'm worried I'm not getting this right

It may take quite a bit more time before a real improvement is seen. If nothing changes over the next 10-14 days I would get him examined by the Vet (I assume this has not yet happened ?).

Personally I'd have started off with cutting out all veg for 48 hours and then reintroducing it in small portions and only one type at a time. Although I'd prefer to feed fresh herbs rather than any type of veg, at first at least. Herbs tend to be more gentle on the digestive system. Fresh brambles would be good too, if you can locate a safe source of them.

He went to the vets last week, she's suggested the protexin and said if there's no improvement in a month then she'd like him back and perhaps try some metacam as she said arthritis could possibly be an issue. Would you suggest just feeding herbs and forgetting veg altogether permanently? I have gradually been decreasing his pellets and topping up his hay more often to try and encourage him to eat it and his poos are more golden so that's a good sign

He went to the vets last week, she's suggested the protexin and said if there's no improvement in a month then she'd like him back and perhaps try some metacam as she said arthritis could possibly be an issue. Would you suggest just feeding herbs and forgetting veg altogether permanently? I have gradually been decreasing his pellets and topping up his hay more often to try and encourage him to eat it and his poos are more golden so that's a good sign

I would try just herbs for now. Also, you need to weigh him regularly. You do not want him to loose too much weight or loose weight too quickly. He also needs a variety of hay types. I think you may already be feeding a variety though ?

Back