• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to the bunny life

kiki90

New Kit
Hello All :)

This weekend I got a 6 week old bunny and I am very new to the bunny life as I never owned a rabbit in my life.. I have two cats and they seem to really like sniffing him when he's in his cage. I have a cage just like this
Prepare-a-Rabbit-Cage-Step-8.jpg
but without the side door. I am currently planning on adding a ramp and a like a shelf so he can go have a bit more space to use kindof but I would also like to build a ramp for him to go out from .. would you rate if I add a ramp from the "second floor" to the latch at the top and then another ramp to go down from would be ideal? As I'm thinking he wouldn't know how to get out of the cage so maybe if you can suggest an idea it would be ideal...

Also I keep him in a fish room (it has around 15 aquariums) and I would like to know if the filters and that bother him like sound wise? As I'm afraid to keep him in the living room when I'm at work as I'm afraid of the cats bothering him or worse...

Thank you for your help :love:

Hello, and welcome to the forum:wave: I'm afraid those indoor rabbit cages are too small for a rabbit to be shut in, they need a large area as they are very active. There is more information on the rwaf site http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/ you can use puppy pens to provide a nice area for your rabbit.

If your rabbit is a house rabbit then it would be better for him to have free run of a rabbit proofed room. I wouldn't think a fish room would be suitable I'm afraid as it would be too humid.

Hi and welcome! :wave:

6 weeks old is very very young, bunnies are suppose to stay with their mum until 8 weeks minimum, but hopefully he is doing okay.

Can I just check, what food did they give you? also, has he got somewhere to hide? as with the cats going up and sniffing him is very likely to scare him, and wouldn't recommend leaving them to see him.

Hi Kiki, welcome to the form.
As said above, that cage is too small for a rabbit. Rabbits are like cats and should have as much space to free range as they can, except rabbits are prey animals and therefore need to be kept safe.
Adding a shelf would be good with a ramp to get out. Also, how about putting a cover over to give your rabbit somewhere to hide. If you then get some puppy panels and make a large pen round it, you can leave the cage open so he can come in and out of the cage and have more room. Could you perhaps put him in the living room without the cats who could have the rest of the house? The hum and light of the fish tanks is not ideal.
Its great that you are on here to find out about rabbit care, there is lots of good information on here!

The only thing that would really bother me about the fish room is the wires. Rabbits will chew anything, so you would have to make sure that all electrics and pipes were out of reach - either totally closed off or well out of reach. Don't underestimate what a rabbit can get on / in to. A flood and / or power interruption could have disastrous consequences all round.

Cats can also do a lot of damage to captive animals when they swipe their claws through bars. Something like a 4' dog crate could be adapted with a shelf, box and large tray for hay (the one you have for the current cage base would be ideal) - used as a base - with 3' tall puppy panels round to give the minimum 24hr space as specified by RWAF.

Hello all and thank you for your messages <3

The cage that I have is over 2 feet by 1.5 feet.. so it's not that small but I would like him to have more space once he is potty trained..

Actually the cats are afraid of him as he is quiet bossy and this morning he came out of his cage on his own and started exploring, I kept a close eye but I've never seen my cats so afraid. He doesn't really like the flooring so I bought him some children foam mats covered with an old bedsheet so he doesn't chew on them... Unfortunately my house is quiet small so I cannot give him a whole room to play in but I do leave him running around on the mat which he likes and I keep a close eye on the cats.

I have thought about purchasing a puppy play pen, the only thing I don't like about the Puppy Pen is that it doesn't have a lid .. any suggestions?

Thank you :love:

Hi and welcome! :wave:

6 weeks old is very very young, bunnies are suppose to stay with their mum until 8 weeks minimum, but hopefully he is doing okay.

Can I just check, what food did they give you? also, has he got somewhere to hide? as with the cats going up and sniffing him is very likely to scare him, and wouldn't recommend leaving them to see him.

Hello - its specifically for babies.. it contains: Wheat middings, lucerne, sunflower seed meal, carrot flakes, mat rootlets, carob cane molasses, calcium carbonate and sodium salt.

Back