• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weeping eye

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
Hello,

I have just been to look at my bunny, and have noticed that he has a very runny eye.

Just looking for some further help on what this could be, I know the pictures aren't very clear but hopefully you can get some idea

Thanks
image2_zpsldwjtukq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image1_zpsdosrhhj7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello,
Sorry to hear your rabbit's not well. It could be a number of things including problems with his teeth or an eye infection.

I think you should take him to your vet. Your rabbit may also be in pain which could lead to him stopping eating, which can be very serious for rabbits.

Let us know how you get on :thumb:

Hi Alexandra :wave:

Sorry about your bun's eye. I posted this on another thread earlier today - hope you don't mind me posting it for you here just in case there's anything useful :)

----------------------
A weepy eye can have lots of causes.

It could well be that tooth roots are pressing on the tear duct, and causing a kink, which in turn leads to a weepy eye. Even if you got head X-rays, there is nothing to be done in this case, other than manage the weepy eye.

Has your vet/s never suggested flushing the tear duct? It's something a lot of vets will do first off, to see whether an improvement occurs, and usually whilst the rabbit is awake.

Weepy eyes are sometimes long term and non life threatening - sometimes it's useful for a partner to 'clean up' the weepy eye. If there's no partner then you have to do it. I would suggest a compress of a cotton pad soaked in boiled water that's cooled a bit.

The condition is called Dacryocystitis:

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_dis...Runny_eyes.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

Hello,
Sorry to hear your rabbit's not well. It could be a number of things including problems with his teeth or an eye infection.

I think you should take him to your vet. Your rabbit may also be in pain which could lead to him stopping eating, which can be very serious for rabbits.

Let us know how you get on :thumb:

I agree with Sarah, it'd be a good idea to get your Vet to examine your Rabbit. There looks to be a bit of infection going on so antibiotic eye drops may be needed. The Vet should also check that the cornea is not damaged/ulcerated. This involves putting some Fluorescein dye into the eye. Any corneal danage will show up as fluorescent green. Corneal abrasions are often the result of hay stalk injury. The Vet may also check that the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) is draining. If the duct is blocked it will cause a 'runny eye'. Tooth root elongation, which can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs not just by looking at the crowns of the teeth, can cause problems with the nasolacrimal duct.

Hopefully a course of antibiotic eye drops will sort the problem out. Good luck x

My Molly had an extremely weepy eye a couple of weeks ago - she has pasteurella so is very prone to infection and sure enough it was an eye infection. Cleared up beautifully with a course of penicillin and eye drops. I'd definitely be taking your bun to the vets as even if it's just an eye infection, it won't heal on its own.

My Molly had an extremely weepy eye a couple of weeks ago - she has pasteurella so is very prone to infection and sure enough it was an eye infection. Cleared up beautifully with a course of penicillin and eye drops. I'd definitely be taking your bun to the vets as even if it's just an eye infection, it won't heal on its own.

Yeah you're right Hannah - usually need a little nudge in the right direction.
You seem to have a very good vet to take that on board so thoroughly :)

One of my buns had a weepy eye a few weeks ago and my vet flushed her tear duct and gave me some eye drops for her and thankfully it has cleared up. I know it's something that could possibly re-occur but fingers crossed it doesn't.

Hello,

Sorry about the late reply.
Took him to the vets today and he has an eye infection. So have some eye drops we have to put in twice a day!

It was so horrible when I checked on him first thing this morning, he couldn't open his eye and kept trying to clean them! Bless him!

Hopefully this will help! 🤞🏻

Thanks again for your replies :)

Hello,

Sorry about the late reply.
Took him to the vets today and he has an eye infection. So have some eye drops we have to put in twice a day!

It was so horrible when I checked on him first thing this morning, he couldn't open his eye and kept trying to clean them! Bless him!

Hopefully this will help! 🤞🏻

Thanks again for your replies :)

thanks for updating :D

The drops should make a big difference, and soon x

Sorry for the slow reply once again!

They have, do I need to continue with the drops for a certain amount of time, or just until it's cleared up?

They have, do I need to continue with the drops for a certain amount of time, or just until it's cleared up?

Did the Vet not tell you how long to use the drops for ? It should be on the label stuck on the box when the treatment was dispensed. Usually treatment is for 7 days, but if there are no instructions on the dispensing label then you need to call the Vet to check how long he/she wants the treatment to go on for x

Usually these things clear up with drops within 7 days. If it doesn't, then continue for 10 days. Contact the vet after 3/4 days (phone) if no improvement :D

Thank you.
I didn't actually take him to the vets. My partner did.
He said to carry on using them until it's cleared (around 7-10 days)

I was just checking cause it looks like it's already cleared up, so didn't know whether I needed to carry on, or whether to stop.

Thank you.

I was just checking cause it looks like it's already cleared up, so didn't know whether I needed to carry on, or whether to stop.

I'd carry on for 7 days :)

Thank you.

Yes, I would carry on for a full 7 days to minimise risk of return of the infection :)

Back