• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Females

ThePhillips

New Kit
I've been away from the forum since Christmas, we took on two little sisters last year and when they were old enough they were spayed. Biddy didn't survive, she suffered Gut Stasis as she had adhesions inside and the Vet had to handle more of her gut than he would have liked and she was under anaesthetic longer than usual, she died Christmas Day morning - long story. Anyway, Iddy survived her op perfectly fine and has been living alone with us. We'd toyed with whether to get her a bud or not.

Yesterday we were in PaH looking at varieties of dust extracted hay materials for our Guinea Pigs and looked in the Adoption section. There was Russell. 6 month unneatured male. We asked for a look and a cuddle and he was a dreamboat. We proceeded with the adoption and right at the end of the process one of the other members of staff pointed out that Russell was in fact a girl. We were given the choice to stop but we proceeded. I considered the home we could offer Russ.

So, Russ has had her jabs, confirmed by the vet as female and we are arranging neutering.

I have bonded buns before and am geared up for the crisis' of confidence and frustration. I'm in this for the long term and don't expect to start anything in earnest until 6 weeks after Russ' op.

We put Russ' carrier in Iddy's room, and some of Iddy's litter tray in Russ' hutch. We also intend to rotate the two buns having the run of the house for periods to try and get them familiar to scents.

One thought I had was to get a second hutch and move Iddy (our existing house bun) into the hutch outside so to desensitise what would hopefully be their shared home (currently Iddy's home) once bonded. This would allow me to clean it and probably give 6 weeks to clear all scents.

Russ has endeared herself to the family, I really don't want two seperate buns - I want to give this the best shot I can. I know some bun pairings just don't work regardless of sex, I don't want to put them through unnecessary stress.

We did introduce them briefly and there was nothing that would suggest it is futile. Usual ignoring, then mounting and fur pulling. My thinking being it gives them both an idea where the new smells are coming from. I wasn't planning on any further intro's till Russ is spayed.

Am I being ridiculous? Any tips? Any sole girl/girl successful bondings? Can anyone give me hope :0) :0) :D :D:D

I've been away from the forum since Christmas, we took on two little sisters last year and when they were old enough they were spayed. Biddy didn't survive, she suffered Gut Stasis as she had adhesions inside and the Vet had to handle more of her gut than he would have liked and she was under anaesthetic longer than usual, she died Christmas Day morning - long story. Anyway, Iddy survived her op perfectly fine and has been living alone with us. We'd toyed with whether to get her a bud or not.

Yesterday we were in PaH looking at varieties of dust extracted hay materials for our Guinea Pigs and looked in the Adoption section. There was Russell. 6 month unneatured male. We asked for a look and a cuddle and he was a dreamboat. We proceeded with the adoption and right at the end of the process one of the other members of staff pointed out that Russell was in fact a girl. We were given the choice to stop but we proceeded. I considered the home we could offer Russ.

So, Russ has had her jabs, confirmed by the vet as female and we are arranging neutering.

I have bonded buns before and am geared up for the crisis' of confidence and frustration. I'm in this for the long term and don't expect to start anything in earnest until 6 weeks after Russ' op.

We put Russ' carrier in Iddy's room, and some of Iddy's litter tray in Russ' hutch. We also intend to rotate the two buns having the run of the house for periods to try and get them familiar to scents.

One thought I had was to get a second hutch and move Iddy (our existing house bun) into the hutch outside so to desensitise what would hopefully be their shared home (currently Iddy's home) once bonded. This would allow me to clean it and probably give 6 weeks to clear all scents.

Russ has endeared herself to the family, I really don't want two seperate buns - I want to give this the best shot I can. I know some bun pairings just don't work regardless of sex, I don't want to put them through unnecessary stress.

We did introduce them briefly and there was nothing that would suggest it is futile. Usual ignoring, then mounting and fur pulling. My thinking being it gives them both an idea where the new smells are coming from. I wasn't planning on any further intro's till Russ is spayed.

Am I being ridiculous? Any tips? Any sole girl/girl successful bondings? Can anyone give me hope :0) :0) :D :D:D

I am so sorry that you lost Biddy. That sounds very painful, as you obviously care so deeply about your rabbits.

These are the articles I've researched and found to be most helpful regards bonding - apologies if you've already seen/read them!

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

I don't actually let potential 'bondees' see and smell one another, I just go for it on the day and see what happens. Everyone does this differently, and I wish you loads of luck. It seems fated to be that you took Russ, and I hope the bonding goes as smoothly :wave:

Oh wow those were excellent links! Thank you so much. The Fatfluff link was great, really made me think this could be possible. It's definitely clear I need to hutch for the existing house rabbit to give me time to desensitise the house and its contents. I think we'll sort that once Russ is back from the Vets and we know she's fine (given our last experience - actually our last experience was one of the Guinea's going in for the removal of ovarian cysts and she never recovered either). My girls (10/12yrs)are nervous about Russ going to the Vet's, but its the only way we can secure her long term health and bond her. However we've discussed that we're going to give the vet some instructions... Russ isn't to be sent home until they have seen her actively eating, and if Russ' insides or the op look complicated then just leave it. We don't want to risk her recovery... Thanks again.

Oh wow those were excellent links! Thank you so much. The Fatfluff link was great, really made me think this could be possible. It's definitely clear I need to hutch for the existing house rabbit to give me time to desensitise the house and its contents. I think we'll sort that once Russ is back from the Vets and we know she's fine (given our last experience - actually our last experience was one of the Guinea's going in for the removal of ovarian cysts and she never recovered either). My girls (10/12yrs)are nervous about Russ going to the Vet's, but its the only way we can secure her long term health and bond her. However we've discussed that we're going to give the vet some instructions... Russ isn't to be sent home until they have seen her actively eating, and if Russ' insides or the op look complicated then just leave it. We don't want to risk her recovery... Thanks again.

You're really welcome :D

Just a thought - don't want to intrude on your decision - but isn't there a more rabbit savvy vet who could do the op?

:0) I left the original vet. I sent a letter in voicing my concerns. Received a phone call back. Moved to a better vet now.

So its 3:30am and I'm wide awake and its all bunny related. Just doubting everything. Russ goes in for her spay on Fri, so Thursday after work is all about moving the buns around. Russ is really unhappy in her hutch and its upsetting me. She's honking and boxing now when you go near her. I'm going to move the bunnies round on Thursday night, so bring Russ into the utility room and move Iddy out into the new hutch. That says to me that Russ can calm down before her Op and hopefully Iddy doesn't go nuts about being outside. We've got covers and all sorts to keep her cozy outside. Russ is eating, drinking and pooping fine, just aggressive. Just hope the op goes well; hope Russ chills and I can get meds into her, hope Iddy is OK being outside, hope we eventually get a bond and all this isn't an issue anymore.... It's brought in the whole family though - brought on by me not wanting my bunny to be lonely.... :0(

Sending lots of vibes for Russ' spay tomorrow. I hope it goes to plan and that she recovers well. I can appreciate that you will be very nervous and hope that the times passes quickly for you before she can come home.

Russ is home after the spay. We've had full on feet out the back, we've had hunched up. She's had her meds for the evening. Russ came to us with a history. She'd been to the vet's twice with sneezing, been on Anti Bi's no change - I was told that she was a sneezy bunny, I even rang the vet that PaH used to confirm. When we got her I took her to our vet for a health check, all passages clear despite sneezing, yes you have a sneezy bunny. Russ had her op today advised yes she does actually have Pasteurella and isn't just sneezy - lots of white discharge (which I hadn't seen pre-op at all). So now she's actually on not just pain meds but anti bi's too... Vet did say she'd eaten a little from her food bowl, not huge amounts but they had syringe fed her, but at least she was interested to nibble from a bowl which is a start. I'm not feeling out of the woods yet, still nervous. Happier she's home. Iddy is not overly happy after her first night in the hutch outside. I put a snugglesafe in her blanket and between the hutch roof and waterproof cover i've draped a boiler tank jacket to keep it as toasty as possible. I guess after 9 months in the house it will be a change. Had her in the run all day to make sure she had loads of exercise. Tried explaining to her its like us camping, but she's a rabbit - who am I kidding!!! Anyhoo - this is the first big step in getting to hopefully two happy buns living together...

I'm pleased that Russ is home and is nibbling a little bit and I hope that she is soon completely recovered. It's a shame that the vet found that she has Pasteurella and I hope that this doesn't cause her too much problem in the future.

No, I don't think that Izzy will see it quite the same as going camping :) She should be fine though. The nights are not too cold at the moment, although as you say it's not quite the same as being indoors.

I hope that you manage to relax a bit this evening.

Back