Thread: Where to forage?

Warren Scout

Default Where to forage?

I want to start foraging for my buns, I've been in my garden and picked some brambles today but I don't know where is safe to forage around here as it is either:
    A) near a road
    B) has a large population of wild rabbits
    C) is a popular dog walking site
    D) are sprayed with pesticides

I got foraging for rabbits by twigs way

They loved the brambles! I only gave half a leaf each but even Brandi, who is very fussy, loved it!

I'm in a similar position to you but I do tons of foraging.

I happily forage near roads & in popular dog walking sites.

I try to avoid high rabbit population areas, and obviously avoid areas I know are treated with pesticides.
    I'm doing the Race For Life 5k in aid of Cancer Research on the 8th July. If you'd like to sponsor me, please do at the following link: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.o...e-for-life-204

Mama Doe

I would go for anything suitable above knee (ie wee) height in dog walking areas, although FHB wouldn't be particularly bothered. It's the yuk factor more than anything else - so maybe pick lower down only after recent heavy rain.

Lots of things grow out of or on top walls.

Willows grow in many areas - especially near water. They are easy to pick and grow prolifically.

Brambles and hawthorn also grow in lots of places and would generally be OK - but avoid obvious wild rabbit areas to minimise the risk of picking up bunny diseases.

Anything that may have been sprayed is a definite no-no. Councils tend to spray the edges of walls / paths / roads a couple of times a year. Farmers sometimes spray fields to improve the hay quality - so beware of fields where the docks and buttercups are going curly, especially at this time of year.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I would go for anything suitable above knee (ie wee) height in dog walking areas, although FHB wouldn't be particularly bothered. It's the yuk factor more than anything else - so maybe pick lower down only after recent heavy rain.

Lots of things grow out of or on top walls.

Willows grow in many areas - especially near water. They are easy to pick and grow prolifically.

Brambles and hawthorn also grow in lots of places and would generally be OK - but avoid obvious wild rabbit areas to minimise the risk of picking up bunny diseases.

Anything that may have been sprayed is a definite no-no. Councils tend to spray the edges of walls / paths / roads a couple of times a year. Farmers sometimes spray fields to improve the hay quality - so beware of fields where the docks and buttercups are going curly, especially at this time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I'm in a similar position to you but I do tons of foraging.

I happily forage near roads & in popular dog walking sites.

I try to avoid high rabbit population areas, and obviously avoid areas I know are treated with pesticides.
    I will happily forage where my dogs have used the toilet as I know they don't have worms, but other dogs I dint know what parasites, illness or meds that they're expelling in their waste

Yep there is always somewhere you can go.

We have a little woodland just down the road (off a busy estate) and I get plantain, brambles, willow, hawthorn, grass, sticky weed etc

Go for a wonder & see what you can fine, remember gloves, bag, pen knife & mobile phone
    Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bead-...04447419700468