Thread: Where to forage?

Warren Scout

Default Where to forage?

I want to start foraging for my buns, I've been in my garden and picked some brambles today but I don't know where is safe to forage around here as it is either:
    A) near a road
    B) has a large population of wild rabbits
    C) is a popular dog walking site
    D) are sprayed with pesticides

I got foraging for rabbits by twigs way

They loved the brambles! I only gave half a leaf each but even Brandi, who is very fussy, loved it!

I'm in a similar position to you but I do tons of foraging.

I happily forage near roads & in popular dog walking sites.

I try to avoid high rabbit population areas, and obviously avoid areas I know are treated with pesticides.

Mama Doe

I would go for anything suitable above knee (ie wee) height in dog walking areas, although FHB wouldn't be particularly bothered. It's the yuk factor more than anything else - so maybe pick lower down only after recent heavy rain.

Lots of things grow out of or on top walls.

Willows grow in many areas - especially near water. They are easy to pick and grow prolifically.

Brambles and hawthorn also grow in lots of places and would generally be OK - but avoid obvious wild rabbit areas to minimise the risk of picking up bunny diseases.

Anything that may have been sprayed is a definite no-no. Councils tend to spray the edges of walls / paths / roads a couple of times a year. Farmers sometimes spray fields to improve the hay quality - so beware of fields where the docks and buttercups are going curly, especially at this time of year.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I would go for anything suitable above knee (ie wee) height in dog walking areas, although FHB wouldn't be particularly bothered. It's the yuk factor more than anything else - so maybe pick lower down only after recent heavy rain.

Lots of things grow out of or on top walls.

Willows grow in many areas - especially near water. They are easy to pick and grow prolifically.

Brambles and hawthorn also grow in lots of places and would generally be OK - but avoid obvious wild rabbit areas to minimise the risk of picking up bunny diseases.

Anything that may have been sprayed is a definite no-no. Councils tend to spray the edges of walls / paths / roads a couple of times a year. Farmers sometimes spray fields to improve the hay quality - so beware of fields where the docks and buttercups are going curly, especially at this time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    I'm in a similar position to you but I do tons of foraging.

I happily forage near roads & in popular dog walking sites.

I try to avoid high rabbit population areas, and obviously avoid areas I know are treated with pesticides.
    I will happily forage where my dogs have used the toilet as I know they don't have worms, but other dogs I dint know what parasites, illness or meds that they're expelling in their waste

Yep there is always somewhere you can go.

We have a little woodland just down the road (off a busy estate) and I get plantain, brambles, willow, hawthorn, grass, sticky weed etc

Go for a wonder & see what you can fine, remember gloves, bag, pen knife & mobile phone
    Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bead-...04447419700468