• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver hiding away again :(

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So Oliver has been on baytril for a uti since Tuesday so that's 6 days now, his course is for 3 weeks. The spotting has stopping but he is still hiding away and small amount of teeth grinding. I have had to give him a Tramadol again this past few days which does stop the grinding. A few days ago he was a bit more active but now he is hiding again :( he is picking at his food but it was all gone overnight which is good. Is it the uti still hurting him ?? He had a uti in February as well. How long should I give the antibiotics to improve the uti before another vet trip is needed? He isn't drinking as much so I will be upping his sub q fluids. Then part of my is wondering if ge is depressed due to the failed bonding we had recently. He wanted her but she attacked him do next meeting was both attacking each other. But he did enjoy another bunny being around. I am so sad for him. Oliver isn't a people person so I feel it's hard to comfort him. U just want to help him feel better. I lift him and cuddle and kiss him alot for the few minutes he allows before sratching my shoulder to tell me he wants down. Wee nose pets and head pets from time to time but he is mostly under the sofa all the time.

Should add pee sample vet said no more sludge than what would be found in a non sludge bun. What else can cause a uti ??

So Oliver has been on baytril for a uti since Tuesday so that's 6 days now, his course is for 3 weeks. The spotting has stopping but he is still hiding away and small amount of teeth grinding. I have had to give him a Tramadol again this past few days which does stop the grinding. A few days ago he was a bit more active but now he is hiding again :( he is picking at his food but it was all gone overnight which is good. Is it the uti still hurting him ?? He had a uti in February as well. How long should I give the antibiotics to improve the uti before another vet trip is needed? He isn't drinking as much so I will be upping his sub q fluids. Then part of my is wondering if ge is depressed due to the failed bonding we had recently. He wanted her but she attacked him do next meeting was both attacking each other. But he did enjoy another bunny being around. I am so sad for him. Oliver isn't a people person so I feel it's hard to comfort him. U just want to help him feel better. I lift him and cuddle and kiss him alot for the few minutes he allows before sratching my shoulder to tell me he wants down. Wee nose pets and head pets from time to time but he is mostly under the sofa all the time.

Nicky, I am sorry Oliver is being quiet.

I personally doubt very much it is anything to do with the failed bond, or him being lonely. I was wondering teeth as I was reading your post. The abx should have made a difference by now if it was a uti.

I feel really sorry for you that you are having all this worry on worry, and sorry for the poor wee sausage. Can your vet have a look inside his mouth?

Would he like a soft toy, or isn't he that sort of a bun?

Hi Max, thanks for your kind words . The vet checked his teeth last Tuesday and said they looked fine but I of course know back ones can't be seen properly. Oliver has been eatting less hay over past 6 months or more but he is was still eatting his hay bales loads but he is eatting those less too this past few days. He had his teeth checked under GA in July 2016 and we're fine then. Since Cody passed I gave Oliver a cuddly teddy but he isn't interested in it, but I still leave it out for him. I will see how he eats overnight and will ring me vet on Tuesday to see what she advises. I feel an xray looming :(

Hi Max, thanks for your kind words . The vet checked his teeth last Tuesday and said they looked fine but I of course know back ones can't be seen properly. Oliver has been eatting less hay over past 6 months or more but he is was still eatting his hay bales loads but he is eatting those less too this past few days. He had his teeth checked under GA in July 2016 and we're fine then. Since Cody passed I gave Oliver a cuddly teddy but he isn't interested in it, but I still leave it out for him. I will see how he eats overnight and will ring me vet on Tuesday to see what she advises. I feel an xray looming :(

Have you any ranitidine?

Yes I do, why? He is pooping ok.

Well I had some mystery stuff with one of mine, and I discovered that she actually had some stomach irritation/ulcer from Metacam and later from Tramadol.

I actually used an 'alternative' supplement (I know some people have said 'just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe' - but for those peeps - yes it was vet approved and perfectly safe!).

However giving Ranitidine half an hour *before* Metacam or Tramadol may have an effect. Ranitidine protects the stomach from the possible effects of pain killers. Rabbits' stomachs are very acid, and there usually isn't a problem with Metacam etc, but sometimes there is. It may take 2/3 days to help the situation, but if you don't mind doing it, I reckon it might be worth thinking about.

Ranitidine works by reducing the amount of acid the stomach produces, and so reduces the possibility of gastric ulceration. You could run it by your vet ...

However, it does mean catching him another time for meds ... Not sure if that's good or bad?

I had forgotten about the ulceration issue with metacam . I didn't know it could happen with Tramadol as well, thanks Max for this reminder. Yes I will defo try that before his next meds. I had actually ran out but asked the vet for some for some on Tuesday for "just in case" times. Will try this for a few days and will see if it helps. Thank so much Max . Xx

I had forgotten about the ulceration issue with metacam . I didn't know it could happen with Tramadol as well, thanks Max for this reminder. Yes I will defo try that before his next meds. I had actually ran out but asked the vet for some for some on Tuesday for "just in case" times. Will try this for a few days and will see if it helps. Thank so much Max . Xx

You're welcome :)

Hope Oliver comes out again x

Oliver was Thuming his foot for about 4 hours on an off last night. Che ked on him at 5am and tried to settle him but he was agitated. Does thumping ever mean pain?

Oliver was Thuming his foot for about 4 hours on an off last night. Che ked on him at 5am and tried to settle him but he was agitated. Does thumping ever mean pain?

It is more likely to be due to feeling anxious. I have noticed that when a Rabbit with a chronic ear problem is having a 'flare up' they will thump. Not necessarily due to pain but possibly to hearing 'odd' noises, as a human with tinnitus would. At the risk of sounding even more fixated on 'ear problems' (I seem to raise the issue a lot at the moment) I wonder if Oliver's behaviour is related to his ear issues rather than to a bladder problem.

It is a possibility Jane and I can understand that tinnitus theory which would make sense. Though he got the all clear in his ear after the 5 or 6 week course of depocillian. But I won't rule that out still being a possibility and will mention to the vet, thank u x. If he has to be xray ed I will make sure they do a head one to cover the ear too. But how would I know for sure if tinnitus? ? He ate a little of his breakfast but is still edgy but seems bright with plenty of poo and pee which is good.

Thank u Zoobec, he is settled in loaf shape now under the sofa and had been eatting a hay bale and some hawthorn when I was leaving for work. Hubby at home so he will be keeping an eye on him. Hope he is more settled when o come home.

It is a possibility Jane and I can understand that tinnitus theory which would make sense. Though he got the all clear in his ear after the 5 or 6 week course of depocillian. But I won't rule that out still being a possibility and will mention to the vet, thank u x. If he has to be xray ed I will make sure they do a head one to cover the ear too. But how would I know for sure if tinnitus? ? He ate a little of his breakfast but is still edgy but seems bright with plenty of poo and pee which is good.

I dont think it would be possible to establish for certain that Tinnitus was an issue, but evidence of a middle ear infection makes it a possibility.

Back