• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver hiding away again :(

Thanks Joey x yes he is improving s littke more each day. Still a wee bit of teth grinding but alot less.

Hi Max, aw would never doubt u checking with ur vet first! But yes it does pay to think oit side the box sometimes.

No I didn't use a mason jar for my saurkraut but on of those air tight jars with the clip lid. I tried a bit of it today and it tastes as if it's going in the right direction. I needed to add more brine solution to it though as it had nearly disappeared . I am going to make more tomorrow and some kimchi too as I like it spicy. After these I am going to try making some kombucha. I love it. My friend at work has a scoby start that she Brough all the way from new Zealand.

I made some kimchi with veggies I had overproduced last year. Very spicy!

I think I might try my hand at making my own scoby. I have an unopened bottle of Kombucha given to me by a friend .. Hmm. Very interesting!

I thought you might be into this when a long while ago I read you mention apple cider vinegar *with the mother* :D

Oh u r way ahead of me then having made kimchi already! Yes the kimchi is spicy , I really liked it. We were out last night for my husbands birthday so with the after effects of one glass of wine and fewer hours sleep I didn't get making anything :( I'm such a chocolate fireguard lol oh if u do make your own scoby please share how u get on as I do love all the alternative stuff, its soo interesting isn't it and fun too. I used to make kefir too but I try to consume as little dairy as possible but it was good too. If u decide to make some kombucha do u think u will flavour it ?? How do u actually "make " a scoby though ?? I thought u had to get one from someone. If we eat and make all this good gut stuff we r going to have one happy microbiome lol :lol:

Oh u r way ahead of me then having made kimchi already! Yes the kimchi is spicy , I really liked it. We were out last night for my husbands birthday so with the after effects of one glass of wine and fewer hours sleep I didn't get making anything :( I'm such a chocolate fireguard lol oh if u do make your own scoby please share how u get on as I do love all the alternative stuff, its soo interesting isn't it and fun too. I used to make kefir too but I try to consume as little dairy as possible but it was good too. If u decide to make some kombucha do u think u will flavour it ?? How do u actually "make " a scoby though ?? I thought u had to get one from someone. If we eat and make all this good gut stuff we r going to have one happy microbiome lol :lol:

Well you can make a scoby from a fresh unopened bottle of Kombucha, though I haven't tried it yet! I think it takes 3/4 weeks ... Kombucha tea is lovely, but expensive. I don't know whether I will flavour it - I haven't got that far yet!

I wanted to ask - how is Oliver's appetite these days? Has he picked up at all? :wave:

Ooohhh that's interesting but think I will just get one from my friend, good luck with growing it. Yes any kombucha you buy is really expensive, here it ranges from £2.50 to £4 per 300ml bottle.

Well good news with my Oliver, he had perked up really well and cery very little tooth grinding at all. His appetite has improved alot and he isn't hiding away at all now. I am sooo relieved as I was convinced he was depressed. I was wakened at 7am this morning running around the bedroom next door and then zooming up the hall! It made me smile alot! We have been giving him the ranitadine before his now once a day metacam for over a week now and I think that has helped too so thanks for reminding me of that. He is still lifting his tail and spotting more than I would like but no carpet pee stains this morning (oh the shame!) Ge has been on baytril since 2nd May, I will speak to my vet near the 3 weeks mark to see how long we should continue. As this uti was worse than previous ones and took a bit longer to improve I am guessing she will say 4 weeks buf we will see. I really pleased and he was nesting in the living room with us on the carpet runner I put in there for him fir about 3 hours . Honestly there is a rabbit station in every room in our house now ! Except our bedroom and bathroom. All with hay bales, hay, hawthorn. Just waiting on a Daves Maze to come back into stock as Oliver loved it.

Ooohhh that's interesting but think I will just get one from my friend, good luck with growing it. Yes any kombucha you buy is really expensive, here it ranges from £2.50 to £4 per 300ml bottle.

Well good news with my Oliver, he had perked up really well and cery very little tooth grinding at all. His appetite has improved alot and he isn't hiding away at all now. I am sooo relieved as I was convinced he was depressed. I was wakened at 7am this morning running around the bedroom next door and then zooming up the hall! It made me smile alot! We have been giving him the ranitadine before his now once a day metacam for over a week now and I think that has helped too so thanks for reminding me of that. He is still lifting his tail and spotting more than I would like but no carpet pee stains this morning (oh the shame!) Ge has been on baytril since 2nd May, I will speak to my vet near the 3 weeks mark to see how long we should continue. As this uti was worse than previous ones and took a bit longer to improve I am guessing she will say 4 weeks buf we will see. I really pleased and he was nesting in the living room with us on the carpet runner I put in there for him fir about 3 hours . Honestly there is a rabbit station in every room in our house now ! Except our bedroom and bathroom. All with hay bales, hay, hawthorn. Just waiting on a Daves Maze to come back into stock as Oliver loved it.

I am so delighted to hear this Nicky :D Ooh how wonderful you don't have to worry about his appetite and he isn't hiding away! I wish our vets would tell us these possibilities - I sometimes feel I'm finding things out by trial and error with these little ones.

He sounds like a lovely little happy chappie. Long Live The Bead :D

Yes it's great news, truely warms my heart. He isn't 100% but he is getting there.

Lol yes long long long live the Bead lol lol

Back