• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oliver hiding away again :(

Oliver was Thuming his foot for about 4 hours on an off last night. Che ked on him at 5am and tried to settle him but he was agitated. Does thumping ever mean pain?

No, in my experience thumping doesn't usually mean pain. It's because he senses danger, or is anxious about something. In some circumstances rabbits do this in response to their owner's anxiety.

Hope he's settling down again now :)

He was very agitated last night though, never seen him so unsettled but to be fair i have been stalking him a bit and crying too because I was sad for him so maybe that hasn't helped and he has picked up on it. Well hubby sent me a pic of him lying with legs out the back and I didn't give any pain meds this morning as he was brighter and nibbling. Maye it's the tramadol messing with he wee mind? I have read of some people where it really freaked thme out. I couldnt take it and it made me feel very weird. Hoping for a more relaxed Oliver this evening.

Last edited:
He was very agitated last night though, never seen him so unsettled but to be fair i have been stalking him a bit and crying too because I was sad for him so maybe that hasn't helped and he has picked up on it. Well hubby sent me a pic of him lying with legs out the back and I didn't give any pain meds this morning as he was brighter and nibbling. Maye it's the tramadol messing with he wee mind? I have read of some people where it really freaked thme out. I couldnt take it and it made me feel very weird. Hoping for a more relaxed Oliver this evening.

I think you may have a point with the Tramadol :)

I have noticed some rabbits do react differently to it, as it works as an opioid pain reliever. Opioids have in some cases been linked to mood and anxiety related symptoms.

I can't take Tramadol either!

Hi Max, well he is brighter and wasn't hiding as much yesterday and definitely wasn't edgey like the previous night. But still a bit of teeth grinding. I only got the dosage this morning from my vet for the ranitadine so will be giving that this evening. HOWEVER I did notice a little wet patch under his chin and we know that could mean teeth . But he was drinking out of a new water bowl (he has 3 around the house ) and I checked this morning and the patch was smaller so I want to watch for a few days to see if it's still there. But the signs r pointing to teeth I think. Thanks for asking after him x

Hi Max, well he is brighter and wasn't hiding as much yesterday and definitely wasn't edgey like the previous night. But still a bit of teeth grinding. I only got the dosage this morning from my vet for the ranitadine so will be giving that this evening. HOWEVER I did notice a little wet patch under his chin and we know that could mean teeth . But he was drinking out of a new water bowl (he has 3 around the house ) and I checked this morning and the patch was smaller so I want to watch for a few days to see if it's still there. But the signs r pointing to teeth I think. Thanks for asking after him x

bunnies & their teeth :( & ears :( I'm glad to hear he is coping better - I hope it gets resolved for you both soon

I'm glad he's a bit brighter :)

Yeah I remember thinking it was his mouth at the start of the thread, but he only had them checked a week ago. I hope it isn't that. You spend a lifetime (and a fortune) at the vet!

Still sending vibes for Oliver, little love :love:

Thanks Joey and Max. Yes my bunnies have been very unlucky. But lucky they have us to bankrupt ourselves for them ! I really hope it's the uti taking its time to resolve but I am speaking to my vet later to see how long to wait before further investigation, and yes Joey hope we can find out the problem soon. Thanks for vibes for the Bead x

Hi Max:wave: he is alot brighter this morning and not hiding under the sofa but he didnt eat as much of his greens or pellets overnight as I would like, or much of the hawthorn. I "think" he is grinding his teeth a little less, but . He ate his soaked porride oats this morning and a fenugreek crunching. I know from before with Rosie and Oliver when last on baytril I think it affected their appetite a bit. I am just keeping a very close eye. I spoke to the vet on Tuesday and she would like to give the Baytril 7 -10 more days to see if his teeth grinding / behaviour improvessels before risking xray which I guess is fair enough. He is improving a little more. But I hope he improves alot more. Bead says thanks for asking after him and hopes you are having lively weather like we r here still :)

Forgot to add, his chin is alot drier but I am still checking it a couple of times a day. I'm just constantly worrying about his at the moment though. He isn't interested in his carrot cottage at all which usually has to be rationed to him . It's just making me very sad for him at the moment.

Hi Max:wave: he is alot brighter this morning and not hiding under the sofa but he didnt eat as much of his greens or pellets overnight as I would like, or much of the hawthorn. I "think" he is grinding his teeth a little less, but . He ate his soaked porride oats this morning and a fenugreek crunching. I know from before with Rosie and Oliver when last on baytril I think it affected their appetite a bit. I am just keeping a very close eye. I spoke to the vet on Tuesday and she would like to give the Baytril 7 -10 more days to see if his teeth grinding / behaviour improvessels before risking xray which I guess is fair enough. He is improving a little more. But I hope he improves alot more. Bead says thanks for asking after him and hopes you are having lively weather like we r here still :)

Guarded good news ... I'm pleased to hear nevertheless :D

We are having lovely weather, thank you :D I need to be doing far more gardening than I am :shock:

Yes guarded, that's a perfect description. But a little improvement is still improvement, but it's his appetite that's a nit more concerning. I will try not to panic though. . I defo think my seeds that r growing r plantain! I am watching them every day lol just to see if I can make sure the leaf isn't dandelion. I'm so excited for them to mature. That's my gardening at the moment! Hope u can fit more gardening time in x

Yes guarded, that's a perfect description. But a little improvement is still improvement, but it's his appetite that's a nit more concerning. I will try not to panic though. . I defo think my seeds that r growing r plantain! I am watching them every day lol just to see if I can make sure the leaf isn't dandelion. I'm so excited for them to mature. That's my gardening at the moment! Hope u can fit more gardening time in x

Are you giving the ranitidine Nicky? I found with my 'alternative' that it took 2/3 days before I noticed appetite kicked in. So I'm thinking that to heal the gut (if that's anything to do with it) might take a similar length of time with ranitidine.

I only got giving the ranitadine once as Oliver keeps turning his head alot when I try to syringe his meds as he is in a burrito and it was really strss in him . Hubby was working evenings until today so it's easier when he holds him so will do that from today. I'm interested in your "alternative " care to share !?

I only got giving the ranitadine once as Oliver keeps turning his head alot when I try to syringe his meds as he is in a burrito and it was really strss in him . Hubby was working evenings until today so it's easier when he holds him so will do that from today. I'm interested in your "alternative " care to share !?

I get stick on here for sharing 'alternatives' :lol: (not from you of course)

The ranitidine will do the trick, if that's the issue. I hope Oliver comes round and gets his appetite back!

Seriously, people have given u grief for sharing natural alternatives that u have found worked! Ok if u aren't into natural alternatives then fair enough but don't think it's very nice if someone had a go at u for suggesting it :( nature is very good at giving us most of the medicine we need with little to ko side effects unlike pharmaceutical drugs. After 20 years of ibs and back and forth to doc and meds, what helped was unpasteurised saurkraut. Plenty of good natural gut bugs ! I bought it many times but 10 days ago I made my own. It's on the bench in the kitchen. Have to let it ferment for 3 weeks. Gonna make hubby taste it first lol

I love alternative remedies , and it's great u found something that helped ur bun naturally.

I hope those improvements continue, at least they are in the right direction. More vibes for Oliver

Seriously, people have given u grief for sharing natural alternatives that u have found worked! Ok if u aren't into natural alternatives then fair enough but don't think it's very nice if someone had a go at u for suggesting it :( nature is very good at giving us most of the medicine we need with little to ko side effects unlike pharmaceutical drugs. After 20 years of ibs and back and forth to doc and meds, what helped was unpasteurised saurkraut. Plenty of good natural gut bugs ! I bought it many times but 10 days ago I made my own. It's on the bench in the kitchen. Have to let it ferment for 3 weeks. Gonna make hubby taste it first lol

I love alternative remedies , and it's great u found something that helped ur bun naturally.

Thanks Nicky :) I always run everything past my vet and get the OK. But it takes a little inventiveness and lateral thinking to solve problems sometimes, as you did with your sauerkraut. Terrific that you make your own - I do too! I started fermenting a little while ago because as you say, good gut bugs are important. I'm glad you found a solution, IBS is a horrid condition :(

What are you using to make your sauerkraut in? I use Mason Jars.

Thanks Joey x yes he is improving s littke more each day. Still a wee bit of teth grinding but alot less.

Hi Max, aw would never doubt u checking with ur vet first! But yes it does pay to think oit side the box sometimes.

No I didn't use a mason jar for my saurkraut but on of those air tight jars with the clip lid. I tried a bit of it today and it tastes as if it's going in the right direction. I needed to add more brine solution to it though as it had nearly disappeared . I am going to make more tomorrow and some kimchi too as I like it spicy. After these I am going to try making some kombucha. I love it. My friend at work has a scoby start that she Brough all the way from new Zealand.

Back