• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house with rabbits

Bailey's

Mama Doe
Hi guys! I've not posted for AGES! Life has been hectic lately, but I'm needing your thoughts and ideas please.

We are about to move house. Our new house won't be ready (it's a new build) until Jan/Feb next year so we are having to move out of our current house and into rented in the meantime.
So, currently Freddie and Boo have a shed and attached run set up, which I prefer to a hutch as it's easier to clean, plus gives them the most space. However, when it comes to moving to the rented place I can't see them letting us put a shed up in the garden just for the bunnies. I was toying with trying to find a cheap (large as poss) hutch to attach to their run for the time we are there, but as the house move is costing us more than we had anticipated (more costs keep getting dropped on us!!!) money is very tight just now.
I'm warry about buying a second hand hutch due to infection, or am I just being over cautious?

So please hit me with your thoughts and ideas? I have no friends or family nearby who are rabbit savvy enough to care for them either 😢

Would you be able to have them indoors in rented? Probably not.

I think if it was me, I'd get a second hand hutch and just really really disinfect well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So long as you put it back to how it is I wouldn't have thought people would mind if you have a shed in the garden :? You could buy a secondhand playhouse, they are often on preloved, ebay, freeloved, freecycle etc and if it had been used by kids you wouldn't have the infection worry.

Sorry for late reply, had parents over.
I wouldn't be able to have them indoors as we have two cats, plus I don't think there will be room with 4 adults plus all our clutter ��

Zoobec you are a genius! Never thought of a playhouse, will have a trek through the free ad pages to see what I can find. Will let you know how I get on. Xx

If you don't find a playhouse, my temporary set up is a second hand 5ft 2storey hutch, bought for £50 on gumtree. I've cut a hole in the back and attached the run to the back so they had 24 hour access. I just cleaned it thoroughly with pet disinfectant and put Lino down. Mine have all been fine.
However, I should ask your new landlord about moving the shed you have. I can't see why they would mind. I'm a landlord and I certainly wouldn't. If you tell them you'll restore the garden back to how it was - lifting slabs etc, it may be the garden already has slabs/base and most rented houses don't have pristine gardens unless the previous tenant put a lot of time into it.
Hope you sort it.

If you don't find a playhouse, my temporary set up is a second hand 5ft 2storey hutch, bought for £50 on gumtree. I've cut a hole in the back and attached the run to the back so they had 24 hour access. I just cleaned it thoroughly with pet disinfectant and put Lino down. Mine have all been fine.
However, I should ask your new landlord about moving the shed you have. I can't see why they would mind. I'm a landlord and I certainly wouldn't. If you tell them you'll restore the garden back to how it was - lifting slabs etc, it may be the garden already has slabs/base and most rented houses don't have pristine gardens unless the previous tenant put a lot of time into it.
Hope you sort it.

Thank you, it's put my mind a rest a bit. We need to find somewhere to rent first of all, trouble is round near us they are few and far between. My stress levels at the min are through the roof!

Sorry for late reply, had parents over.
I wouldn't be able to have them indoors as we have two cats, plus I don't think there will be room with 4 adults plus all our clutter ��

Zoobec you are a genius! Never thought of a playhouse, will have a trek through the free ad pages to see what I can find. Will let you know how I get on. Xx

:lol: I'm definitely not a genius:oops::lol:hope you find something:thumb:

Back