• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new to bonding

hot cross bun

Alpha Buck
So we collect Lottie tomorrow and the bonding process begins with Timber....any tips, info greatly appreciated :thumb:

They had a meet today for around 20mins, both just sniffing the other, no scuffles or nips, Lottie seems very timid though

How did it go today? I saw your other thread, it's lovely that you found her :)

I've only had rabbits for a couple of years, but I have 7 now and have bonded a trio and two pairs. Luckily it's gone really well every time and we have been amazed at how well it has gone, sometimes they just 'click'.

Our most recent pair, we set up a pet play pen as a neutral area for them (after a date at the rescue / journey home) and they haven't been apart since. We didn't rush things and kept them in neutral for a week and then recreated the same set up in their permanent room for another week before giving full access to the room (indoor buns).

The boy we rescued was really humpy for weeks, but it has calmed down now and they are lovely together.

Good luck x

I'm totally amazed, Timber my bunny who lost his partner, was always the more dominant out the two, well today, we get home this tiny ball of black fluff who was totally petrified in the rescue & at there initial meet yesterday, she bows her head for Timber to groom which he reacts to, grooms her head & eyes, to which she responds to her mounting him ^ he totally lay down & excepted, then they lay down together nibbling dill????

like you we are still going to keep them meeting on neutral ground but hopefully they will be living together this time next wk, I'm so happy for them both, Timber was actually binkying after there meet today, he hasn't done a binky all wk :)
How did it go today? I saw your other thread, it's lovely that you found her :)

I've only had rabbits for a couple of years, but I have 7 now and have bonded a trio and two pairs. Luckily it's gone really well every time and we have been amazed at how well it has gone, sometimes they just 'click'.

Our most recent pair, we set up a pet play pen as a neutral area for them (after a date at the rescue / journey home) and they haven't been apart since. We didn't rush things and kept them in neutral for a week and then recreated the same set up in their permanent room for another week before giving full access to the room (indoor buns).

The boy we rescued was really humpy for weeks, but it has calmed down now and they are lovely together.

Good luck x

So we collect Lottie tomorrow and the bonding process begins with Timber....any tips, info greatly appreciated :thumb:

They had a meet today for around 20mins, both just sniffing the other, no scuffles or nips, Lottie seems very timid though

Hot cross, here's a little light reading:

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

And lastly but not least:

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

oh yes very light lol thanks,

Mightymax, today's bonding was totally different, Timber humped non stop, refused to groom her & stamped his feet, no aggression but deffo role reversal, see what tomorrow brings.....

oh yes very light lol thanks,

Mightymax, today's bonding was totally different, Timber humped non stop, refused to groom her & stamped his feet, no aggression but deffo role reversal, see what tomorrow brings.....

:lol:

Well no aggression is really good :D

Are you leaving them together overnight? Timber seems like a happy boy ;)

not in the bedroom, we have a converted summerhouse so they can see each other, I was thinking the wkend for an overnighter but i'm open to any advice, just read your links and they contradict each other, im confused enough lol,

I hope timber appreciates all the stress I'm under!!

Lottie is a cutie & loves her hay

don't suppose you are in west mids area....haha

:lol:

Well no aggression is really good :D

Are you leaving them together overnight? Timber seems like a happy boy ;)

food placed in middle of room, both buns eating. No humping today, Timber is clearly desperate to be groomed, head bowed whenever Lottie approaches him.

not in the bedroom, we have a converted summerhouse so they can see each other, I was thinking the wkend for an overnighter but i'm open to any advice, just read your links and they contradict each other, im confused enough lol,

I hope timber appreciates all the stress I'm under!!

Lottie is a cutie & loves her hay

don't suppose you are in west mids area....haha

Yes I know, but with most things bunny behaviour related, there's no one way. Tiresome but true :roll:

Some ways suit some people and buns, and other will do it differently.

Sorry .. I am not in west mids area. And remember, stress (yours) is the last thing needed when bonding!

well this morning didn't go so well, 45mins 2 happy buns, then Timber tried humping Lottie and she bite Timber, not good....held out for another 10mins so we split on an ok note

It still sounds as if it's going well, no massive fights - you can see if they really hate each other, it's awful, fur flying, real proper scrapping! I bonded 2 last weekend, there was a couple of nips but I held my nerve and they're good (fingers crossed). A wise woman on here (Mighty Max) said once that she's never had a failed bond with a male/female and that really spurred me on and gave me confidence. It just sometimes takes longer than other times. I did 2 weeks of them living next to each other, 3 dates in a run and then put them in a hutch/run combo neutral space. Its been 4 days now and they groom each other and look like they've always been together.
They do need to establish hierarchy, so a bit of humping/dominating is normal. Are you swapping bedding to get them used to scents? I did that too.
Keep your nerve, sounds promising to me!

It still sounds as if it's going well, no massive fights - you can see if they really hate each other, it's awful, fur flying, real proper scrapping! I bonded 2 last weekend, there was a couple of nips but I held my nerve and they're good (fingers crossed). A wise woman on here (Mighty Max) said once that she's never had a failed bond with a male/female and that really spurred me on and gave me confidence. It just sometimes takes longer than other times. I did 2 weeks of them living next to each other, 3 dates in a run and then put them in a hutch/run combo neutral space. Its been 4 days now and they groom each other and look like they've always been together.
They do need to establish hierarchy, so a bit of humping/dominating is normal. Are you swapping bedding to get them used to scents? I did that too.

:oops:

If I give anyone confidence then I am well pleased!

And keeping your nerve is more than half the battle. I never go into a bonding session with the view it's not going to work :D

yes we are swopping bedding & poo's....tonight went amazingly well, both eating, no humping, Timber groomed Lottie for a good mins just need her to return the favour, the only slight problem was Timber stamping his feet twice, really happy tonight :p

I do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put Lottie in with Timber, do you think I should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

If I give anyone confidence then I am well pleased!

And keeping your nerve is more than half the battle. I never go into a bonding session with the view it's not going to work :D[/QUOTE]

You have to go for it sometime! Yes I'd put them in the neutral territory in the morning and if they get on all day, leave them overnight. Just check on them when you can though. Good luck!

i do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put lottie in with timber, do you think i should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

My last bond was a trio so I stuck a bed nearby and kept an ear out. I didn't have to get up and do anything though, and to be honest I could and should have just gone to bed!

It's the first time I have slept near bonding rabbits though. I can usually get an idea of the lie of the land before bedtime :)

I would go for it, if you've the time and energy :D

ok I'm gonna go 4 it!!, bonding went well again today, lying next to one another, eating together but timber still the only bun grooming though, wkend off so Friday is sleep over and I will put Lottie into Timber's summer house, guess I still need to confine as they have 3 levels & attached run? Read up on cleaning out with white vinegar it that a must?

i do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put lottie in with timber, do you think i should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

My last bond was a trio so I stuck a bed nearby and kept an ear out. I didn't have to get up and do anything though, and to be honest I could and should have just gone to bed!

It's the first time I have slept near bonding rabbits though. I can usually get an idea of the lie of the land before bedtime :)

I would go for it, if you've the time and energy :D

Back