Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to bonding

Warren Scout

It still sounds as if it's going well, no massive fights - you can see if they really hate each other, it's awful, fur flying, real proper scrapping! I bonded 2 last weekend, there was a couple of nips but I held my nerve and they're good (fingers crossed). A wise woman on here (Mighty Max) said once that she's never had a failed bond with a male/female and that really spurred me on and gave me confidence. It just sometimes takes longer than other times. I did 2 weeks of them living next to each other, 3 dates in a run and then put them in a hutch/run combo neutral space. Its been 4 days now and they groom each other and look like they've always been together.
    They do need to establish hierarchy, so a bit of humping/dominating is normal. Are you swapping bedding to get them used to scents? I did that too.
    Keep your nerve, sounds promising to me!

Quote Originally Posted by CometLucy195 View Post
    It still sounds as if it's going well, no massive fights - you can see if they really hate each other, it's awful, fur flying, real proper scrapping! I bonded 2 last weekend, there was a couple of nips but I held my nerve and they're good (fingers crossed). A wise woman on here (Mighty Max) said once that she's never had a failed bond with a male/female and that really spurred me on and gave me confidence. It just sometimes takes longer than other times. I did 2 weeks of them living next to each other, 3 dates in a run and then put them in a hutch/run combo neutral space. Its been 4 days now and they groom each other and look like they've always been together.
    They do need to establish hierarchy, so a bit of humping/dominating is normal. Are you swapping bedding to get them used to scents? I did that too.

If I give anyone confidence then I am well pleased!

And keeping your nerve is more than half the battle. I never go into a bonding session with the view it's not going to work

yes we are swopping bedding & poo's....tonight went amazingly well, both eating, no humping, Timber groomed Lottie for a good mins just need her to return the favour, the only slight problem was Timber stamping his feet twice, really happy tonight :P

I do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put Lottie in with Timber, do you think I should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

If I give anyone confidence then I am well pleased!

And keeping your nerve is more than half the battle. I never go into a bonding session with the view it's not going to work [/QUOTE]

Warren Scout

You have to go for it sometime! Yes I'd put them in the neutral territory in the morning and if they get on all day, leave them overnight. Just check on them when you can though. Good luck!

[quote=hot cross bun;6915765]i do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put lottie in with timber, do you think i should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

My last bond was a trio so I stuck a bed nearby and kept an ear out. I didn't have to get up and do anything though, and to be honest I could and should have just gone to bed!

It's the first time I have slept near bonding rabbits though. I can usually get an idea of the lie of the land before bedtime

I would go for it, if you've the time and energy

ok I'm gonna go 4 it!!, bonding went well again today, lying next to one another, eating together but timber still the only bun grooming though, wkend off so Friday is sleep over and I will put Lottie into Timber's summer house, guess I still need to confine as they have 3 levels & attached run? Read up on cleaning out with white vinegar it that a must?

[QUOTE=MightyMax;6915770]
    Quote Originally Posted by hot cross bun View Post
    i do think they will bond, just got to secede when to put lottie in with timber, do you think i should do an overnight bond in the neutral territory?

My last bond was a trio so I stuck a bed nearby and kept an ear out. I didn't have to get up and do anything though, and to be honest I could and should have just gone to bed!

It's the first time I have slept near bonding rabbits though. I can usually get an idea of the lie of the land before bedtime

I would go for it, if you've the time and energy

why does Timber keep stamping his back hind legs, is this asking for attention or is he scared?

Warren Scout

Its a sign of danger, has something changed in their environment?

no this is in the bedroom, he seems to do it if shes not showing him any attention

Its a sign of danger, has something changed in their environment?