Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: new to bonding

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default new to bonding

    So we collect Lottie tomorrow and the bonding process begins with Timber....any tips, info greatly appreciated

    They had a meet today for around 20mins, both just sniffing the other, no scuffles or nips, Lottie seems very timid though

  2. #2

    Default

    How did it go today? I saw your other thread, it's lovely that you found her

    I've only had rabbits for a couple of years, but I have 7 now and have bonded a trio and two pairs. Luckily it's gone really well every time and we have been amazed at how well it has gone, sometimes they just 'click'.

    Our most recent pair, we set up a pet play pen as a neutral area for them (after a date at the rescue / journey home) and they haven't been apart since. We didn't rush things and kept them in neutral for a week and then recreated the same set up in their permanent room for another week before giving full access to the room (indoor buns).

    The boy we rescued was really humpy for weeks, but it has calmed down now and they are lovely together.

    Good luck x

  3. #3
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I'm totally amazed, Timber my bunny who lost his partner, was always the more dominant out the two, well today, we get home this tiny ball of black fluff who was totally petrified in the rescue & at there initial meet yesterday, she bows her head for Timber to groom which he reacts to, grooms her head & eyes, to which she responds to her mounting him ^ he totally lay down & excepted, then they lay down together nibbling dill????

    like you we are still going to keep them meeting on neutral ground but hopefully they will be living together this time next wk, I'm so happy for them both, Timber was actually binkying after there meet today, he hasn't done a binky all wk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    How did it go today? I saw your other thread, it's lovely that you found her

    I've only had rabbits for a couple of years, but I have 7 now and have bonded a trio and two pairs. Luckily it's gone really well every time and we have been amazed at how well it has gone, sometimes they just 'click'.

    Our most recent pair, we set up a pet play pen as a neutral area for them (after a date at the rescue / journey home) and they haven't been apart since. We didn't rush things and kept them in neutral for a week and then recreated the same set up in their permanent room for another week before giving full access to the room (indoor buns).

    The boy we rescued was really humpy for weeks, but it has calmed down now and they are lovely together.

    Good luck x

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hot cross bun View Post
    So we collect Lottie tomorrow and the bonding process begins with Timber....any tips, info greatly appreciated

    They had a meet today for around 20mins, both just sniffing the other, no scuffles or nips, Lottie seems very timid though

    Hot cross, here's a little light reading:


    http://rabbit.org/the-most-important...g-is-patience/

    http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbit...oup-situation/

    http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk...nding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

    http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

    http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html


    Book in RWAF shop:

    https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pro...iona-campbell/


    And lastly but not least:

    Mischief and Tinkerís Mum
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...y-trios-videos!

  5. #5
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default

    oh yes very light lol thanks,

    Mightymax, today's bonding was totally different, Timber humped non stop, refused to groom her & stamped his feet, no aggression but deffo role reversal, see what tomorrow brings.....

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hot cross bun View Post
    oh yes very light lol thanks,

    Mightymax, today's bonding was totally different, Timber humped non stop, refused to groom her & stamped his feet, no aggression but deffo role reversal, see what tomorrow brings.....



    Well no aggression is really good

    Are you leaving them together overnight? Timber seems like a happy boy

  7. #7
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default

    not in the bedroom, we have a converted summerhouse so they can see each other, I was thinking the wkend for an overnighter but i'm open to any advice, just read your links and they contradict each other, im confused enough lol,

    I hope timber appreciates all the stress I'm under!!

    Lottie is a cutie & loves her hay

    don't suppose you are in west mids area....haha

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post


    Well no aggression is really good

    Are you leaving them together overnight? Timber seems like a happy boy

  8. #8
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default

    food placed in middle of room, both buns eating. No humping today, Timber is clearly desperate to be groomed, head bowed whenever Lottie approaches him.
    .

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hot cross bun View Post
    not in the bedroom, we have a converted summerhouse so they can see each other, I was thinking the wkend for an overnighter but i'm open to any advice, just read your links and they contradict each other, im confused enough lol,

    I hope timber appreciates all the stress I'm under!!

    Lottie is a cutie & loves her hay

    don't suppose you are in west mids area....haha

    Yes I know, but with most things bunny behaviour related, there's no one way. Tiresome but true

    Some ways suit some people and buns, and other will do it differently.

    Sorry .. I am not in west mids area. And remember, stress (yours) is the last thing needed when bonding!

  10. #10
    Alpha Buck hot cross bun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    wolverhampton
    Posts
    671

    Default

    well this morning didn't go so well, 45mins 2 happy buns, then Timber tried humping Lottie and she bite Timber, not good....held out for another 10mins so we split on an ok note

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •