• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit looks like trying to eat caecotrophs but is picking out regular poos?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I know rabbits reach down to their bum to eat caecotrophs, but Elmo picks out normal healthy poo's straight from his backside, is this normal? :oops: From what I can see, he picks out a few regular ones, drops them in the litter tray, finds something else from his butt (I'm assuming a caecotroph) and eats it, then sometimes picks and drops some more regular poops. I've never seen this with any other rabbits. Is he holding in his poo until he decides to go to his litter tray? The only thing I can think of is maybe he knows a caecotroph is coming so he's getting ready to eat it, but a few normal poops come out first so he clears them out of the way

His poo's are normal and I've never seen him with poo stuck to his fur so I don't think he's cleaning away poo that was already there, I think he's putting the hard ones straight in to his mouth and dropping them to the side out of his way :shock:

On another note I'm so proud of them recently, I remember the days where they used to pee on the sofa/rug/floor at least once a day. Now even if they're playing in the garden, they'll still come inside for a wee on their tray and then go straight back out again :lol:

Hmm, interesting! Aboleth sometimes has a poo stuck up there (it's in the process of coming out but hasn't quite yet) and I've only noticed this year, when she's running about. I assume it's because she's been getting slowdown, not quite stasis but an hour or so of discomfort caused by hair buildup leading to massive elongated poos, which don't always come out 'normally'. I agree it could be he's getting these out first, as he knows a cecotrope is due and the poo just needs a bit of help?

Also, great news about the wee situation :D

Back