• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shortage of Nobivac combi vaccine ?

RosemaryG

Warren Scout
Bugsy and Tallulah went for their RHD2 vaccinations today :)

We had to go to a different vet from normal, a 25 minute drive away but who actually have an exotics vet, as our normal vet doesn't stock it and has said there has been no demand. :roll: Having been asking for it for the last six months I'm sad to have to go elsewhere as they were brilliant when Tallulah was so ill last year.

The new vet checked their history and the date of their annual Nobivac combi vaccine. Having established its due again at the end of June, she said she was glad there was a few weeks to go as there was currently a production issue and they had no stock but should be resolved by the end of June.

Has anyone else heard this? My existing vet didn't say anything when I checked their booster date either

We had to go to a different vet from normal, a 25 minute drive away but who actually have an exotics vet, as our normal vet doesn't stock it and has said there has been no demand. :roll: Having been asking for it for the last six months I'm sad to have to go elsewhere as they were brilliant when Tallulah was so ill last year.

The new vet checked their history and the date of their annual Nobivac combi vaccine. Having established its due again at the end of June, she said she was glad there was a few weeks to go as there was currently a production issue and they had no stock but should be resolved by the end of June.

Has anyone else heard this? My existing vet didn't say anything when I checked their booster date either

Yes, my vets are having to order large vials and only do vaccines one day a month, they're having a "rabbit afternoon" where it's only rabbits and they get the vaccine, a health check and a goody bag

Yes it's been out of stock to re-order for a few months now. Some practices still have stock of the single vials if they had just received a large order before it went out of stock; others ran out ages ago and are now just using the big bottles. The bottles have to be used within 4 hours hence some vets are trying to run clinics to get as many bunnies vaccinated in one go as possible. Hopefully not many more weeks before it's back as normal.

My vet assures me (several times) that she has plenty.

In fact two of mine are going along very shortly to have theirs - no problem :)

Yes it's been out of stock to re-order for a few months now. Some practices still have stock of the single vials if they had just received a large order before it went out of stock; others ran out ages ago and are now just using the big bottles. The bottles have to be used within 4 hours hence some vets are trying to run clinics to get as many bunnies vaccinated in one go as possible. Hopefully not many more weeks before it's back as normal.

This is what my vets are doing

All three of mine have been vaccinated this afternoon, but not with Nobivac. My vet had run out and so had also got large vials (from France). It wasn't Nobivac, so I'm hoping it's OK, although I do trust my vet. Also one of the younger vets at the practice came in to collect the last dose for one of her rabbits, so she must be OK with it. My vet also said Nobivac wouldn't be back in stock until June. Her theory was that maybe they will then offer a vaccine to include cover for RHD2.

Health checks went OK, except Tethra has to reduce his waistline :oops::lol: He's been taking advantage of the fact that more food has needed to be provided to keep Tan's weight up. They won't eat apart :roll: I'm sure I will work something out. Little podge :lol:

Alas there's not a chance in the world of there being a combined vaccine including RHD2 by June! June 2020 maybe! It would be interesting to know what your vet has been able to import, I thought the large vials coming in were still nobivac, but in a 50-dose vial - that's all the vet medicine directorate has listed on their top ten items for import list so it would be unusual for them to have something else. Do you have a vaccine card with it written on?

Alas there's not a chance in the world of there being a combined vaccine including RHD2 by June! June 2020 maybe! It would be interesting to know what your vet has been able to import, I thought the large vials coming in were still nobivac, but in a 50-dose vial - that's all the vet medicine directorate has listed on their top ten items for import list so it would be unusual for them to have something else. Do you have a vaccine card with it written on?

No :oops:, for the first time ever I forgot to take them with me. I will find out though. It may well be that I misunderstood her and it is indeed Novibac, but from France.

You're right :thumb: T'was Nobivac from France :D

My local vet is ordering in 50 dose vials from France too. I was surprised she had to import it but that's definitely what she said. I think she hoped al my bunnies would be due so it would make a good dent in the 50 doses, she's only got 9 bunnies lined up so far.

My vets too are doing rabbit clinics for vaccs. Those of mine due are going to the next one on Wednesday.

This is what my vets did and Will and Nancy had their vaccinations last week.

Fortunately my vets have plenty of Filavac in stock as they are due for their RVHD2 boosters in July.

I rang a couple of vets, and they seem to be importing it from France too.

I needed just a couple of doses, and I have managed to find (and at a very good price) two of the old stock in a fridge at a vet not too far away, so I will be winging my over with two of the buns. For some reason I prefer to use the vaccine I know about (and know my rabbits' reactions to it) than one they haven't had before.

Back