• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to store dried forage anyone ?

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry, I've trawled through past threads before asking. Just wondered how folks store stuff that they've dried themselves. I've been letting the dandelions grow in my garden,and am going to dry them off tomorrow. Will an airtight box do for storing them in, and how long will they last ? I just have visions of them just disintegrating.
Thanks !

I've previously used airtight bags & boxes bags that allow the air in. Had a few issues with the airtight ones as they need to be 100% dry - dandelions take a good while to dry. This year it will be cereal boxes with holes & I also got loose weave sacks for 99p from B+Q. These work really well - once almost dry I stick the forage in & lay out on windowsil or tie to washing line if the weather is warm or breezy

I like the idea of cereal boxes, I could stick them in the airing cupboard. Might be in B & Q later in week, so will look at sacks also. Thanks for the ideas !

Dandelions are never quite as dry as you think they are, in my experience. They need to be crispy.
Airtight containers or anything plastic encourages mould if there is any moisture.
Cereal boxes or paper sacks (eg bulk potato bags / sacks) are good, or any stout paper bag (eg Primark or posh shops). Cloth bags or pillow cases would be OK as well. Label them with what's in them and the date. Keep them somewhere cool, dry, dark and airy. Check them every month or so and rotate your stock.

I always leave it too late in the year to start drying for winter food. Now is a good time to start. You can dry most things in the sun - hanging in bunches or flat on a grid (top of a run is ideal) at this time of year.

Dried stuff should be stored the same way as gathered seeds: dark and not airtight :) We just stack massive boxes (i.e. what the microwave came in, ones nicked from work etc.) in our spare room: cereal boxes in the airing cupboard would work but we use the airing cupboard for drying stuff and so it just gets left in there XD

Thanks everyone for your advice ! We get a lot of wild raspberries growing around here, and Treacle just loves the leaves. I'm keeping empty cereal boxes ready to store them in once they're dry, mind you they are still only just starting to grow, so she's going to have to wait a while :?

Back